Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Springfield XDm 9mm or Sig P226 Elite 9mm?

Hi all,

Have been contemplating for months now and have finally decided on one of these 2 pistols.

Could you guys with previous experience please give an opinion on which do you think is the better choice and why. Assume that price is not a factor.

Pls bear in mind that I live in a place where only one gun is allowed per person (would buy both if i could).

Thanks!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Springfield XDm 9mm or Sig P226 Elite 9mm?

I'll post what I always post on these "Which one?" threads.
    Shoot both guns and buy the one that fits you and that you shoot the best.

I'm not sure how or why you've narrowed it down to those two guns.
    They are completely different. The Springfield has a polymer frame and a DAO trigger system. The Sig has an alloy frame and a DA/SA trigger system.

I think you'll find them to be very different when you shoot them.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    I'll post what I always post on these "Which one?" threads.
    Shoot both guns and buy the one that fits you and that you shoot the best.

I'm not sure how or why you've narrowed it down to those two guns.
    They are completely different. The Springfield has a polymer frame and a DAO trigger system. The Sig has an alloy frame and a DA/SA trigger system.

I think you'll find them to be very different when you shoot them.
    i've actually narrowed my choices down to these two and a g17. yes they are different but they are equally good IMO. The DA/SA on the sig was very nice but the same feel on the xd was also quite nice. it's all in what ya like

(Allegheny County)

whats the gun for?

if its just for funnsys or the collection buy what you like. If its for self defense I would lean towards any gun with a consistant trigger press over one with two different triggers.

(Monroe County)

I'm guessing the gun is not for concealed carry. If it was I would choose one of your polymer ones for the less weight. If it's just a range gun I would choose the Sig Sauer. If it's for home defense I would choose the 12 gauge (just joking). Then again it's really going to be how they fit your hand, natural point of aim, and your ability to accurately shoot them.

I have the Sig 226 Elite Stainless and I like it a lot. I wasn't really considering it until I picked one up and it fit my hand very well. It shoots almost as well as my customized High Power. I don't carry it so weight was not a consideration, because the stainless model is pretty heavy. I have seen and handled a few XD's and they are OK, but not the same league as the 226 Elite when both are stock out of the box.

Here is a target I shot with the 226 at 25 about yards, standing with no arm rest.

(Berks County)

I own a Sig P229 and XDs and I don't get along, so for me, the choice would be easy.

For you, though, the choice will come down to the piece that feels the best, handles the best, and shoots the best in your hand.

Try both at the range - there may be some helpful folks there who own them, and who are willing to loan you their cherished 9 para so as to spread the gospel.

(Monroe County)

Okay.. lot of Sig love going around here so let me step up for Springfield.
    The XD is an increadible gun. Like Sig, it has a cult following...
    Just don't know where they are right now!
    If you've narrowed down between the sig and the XD/G17, the latter two are very comparable. Of those two I would go with the XD but I've never fired the Sig, only held it. I liked the XD better. It's all about the feel. If it doesn't fit, you won't hit your mark.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

(Chester County)

I haven't fired any Sigs however i do hear good things about them.

The XDm 9, has thus far, been an excellent gun. To angry up the glock guys, I chose it over a Glock 17&19 . Its balanced well, shoots great groups, and most importantly, fit my hand better. My wife liked it so much it quickly became "her" gun. 19+1 and the grip safety were a bonus. I purchased it with the "set" but really the mag holster, and more so the gun holster, are junk. It has about 600rds through it at this point and its gone bang for every one.

The only thing I don't like, is the cocked indicator sticking out from the rear. It isn't a problem, just seems like something that small should be flush, much like the Glocks indicator. Another thing to note is the sights need a press to change out. From what I've read its virtually impossible to get the rear one out yourself.

Renting your choices at a range is invaluable. Try several, even a few you aren't looking at, to compare. Spending $15(plus ammo) to find a gun you don't like, is hella cheaper than $500.

I've considered another pistol, although next purchase for me, will most likely be a SP101 or GP100 in .357 to compliment an old Security Six.

I have a Glock 17 but the XD and Sig were all on my list too. Sig was a little more money than I wanted to spend. If you don't like the DA/SA trigger Sig also makes DAO models with the DAK trigger. Never shot one, but that's what I was looking to buy. I think XD's are also excellent guns. I picked the Glock because it just felt better in my hand than the XD and I got a good deal. I would really like to check out the new XDm with the interchangeable grip pieces you can customize to fit your hand. That might actually be the perfect 9mm for me. If I ever see one I might have to buy it to make sure.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast