Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recoil Buffers

(Lackawanna County)

Default Recoil Buffers

I got to play with a bunch of different guns today at the range....+1 to all the nice great people at the Archbald range...tech 9, M1(they are soooooooooo cool), old school i think a tauras, circa 1950s but looked to be new, neat .22s but the coolest was by far the Colt .45.

I was a lil nervous to shoot a large caliber esp. after firing half dozen or so clips on the M1, the above and my own stuff...but it was like a dream to shoot and from a decent distance i was in the kill zone a smaller target....the recoil was less than my SW 9mm....so i asked him what the deal was lol he said he had a recoil buffer in it made by wilson, 30 bucks, easy to install but a pain in the ass on the colt .45 because he had to strip it and i guess that can be rough?

But now thats got me extremely interested in .45s...not only because its stopping power over the 9mm....i have a rule if it hurts to shoot and costs 4 dollars a round its no fun! lol any way

RB's is there a large company that makes them for alot of models? Does anyone have one? how was installation and how does it perform...a quick or long review if you please.........does anyone know if they make one for SW SW9VE Sigma, Bersa Thunder .380,XD.45 ( i saw one on here in my price range)....links to company will earn you rep : )

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Recoil Buffers

Check here first to see if they have them for the guns you listed.

http://www.buffertech.com/stores/1/R..._C2.cfm?Page=1
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Allegheny County)

My 1911 (the Colt 45) with the stock recoil spring (18 lbs maybe?) doesn't have much recoil. Much less felt recoil than my LCP, Kahr 40, or XD40. It also weighs a whole heck of a lot more. A heavier gun will have less felt recoil.

(Berks County)

Enidine AR-Restor Hydraulic Recoil Buffer. This is the best buffer on the market today! Reduce felt recoil, improve accuracy, reduce fire rate, suppress bolt bounce, and protect your valuable optics with this simple drop-in replacement.
    Aw now, what fun is that??

Friend of mine dropped one into his Browning HiPowah, took some of the 'crispness' of the recoil out, but not enough to warrant spending more than $10, tops.

Maybe some of the more avid auto shooters can chime in on it.

CommonsummonthepowerofLycanHighrise

(Lackawanna County)

is this what i'm looking for/need?

http://www.buffertech.com/stores/1/S..._Aut_P20C2.cfm

(Berks County)

I don't see how inserting a piece of plastic between the muzzle end of your recoil rod and slide will do anything for felt recoil. Maybe I'm missing the mechanical logic, but all I see is an 'extra' piece of plastic installed at an important part of your firearm that is moving at a high rate of speed. Just looks like an increased opportunity for malfunction.

Plus, doesn't that essentially reduce the ammount of slide travel possible? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just trying to wrap my head around that part and it isn't computing. Seems a touch redundant on a polymer gun, unless you are really bashing your receiver. And by shortening the travel, I'd think you might end up being able to really feel that slide nailing your frame...buffered or not.

As a pure buffer, not a buffer for you and your hands, but a buffer for the polymer frame, I get it. But I don't see how it can decrease felt recoil. I wonder if they added that 'felt recoil' tag in the description as a marketing ploy.

None of that helps the OP though, that's just me rambling. For felt recoil in a polymer, I'm not sure any of those gizmos do a darned thing other than add opportunity for failure or screw with the timing of the firearm. For the price, it's certainly not going to break the bank to try it, but I just don't think it's going to make your gun suddenly feel like a stainless. Or like anything other than the polymer that it is.

Grip and stance can help manage recoil without altering the factory design. As can finding ammunition that works the best for the you/your firearm combo. Just my $.02

(Lycoming County)

Recoil buffers are not a good idea in a 1911. As stated above they change the operation of the slide. They can cause failure to feed and failure to eject problems, especially in the short barreled models.
    One is much better off tuning the recoil spring to the load being shot.
    The original intent of the buffers was to reduce the battering of the link,slide stop, and barrel lugs. A properly selected spring will accomplish this.
    For a 5" 1911 a 16# is standard, and will function well with most ammo. Bump it up to 18# with hot loads, and it goes on from there.
    I run the 16's in my full size, and a 16 with 3 coils trimmed off in my Combat Commander(standard for a Commander is 18#) and they run like sewing machines.
    I hope this helps.
    My Best, Walt

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by dewalt-2 View Post
    Recoil buffers are not a good idea in a 1911. As stated above they change the operation of the slide. They can cause failure to feed and failure to eject problems, especially in the short barreled models.
    One is much better off tuning the recoil spring to the load being shot.
    The original intent of the buffers was to reduce the battering of the link,slide stop, and barrel lugs. A properly selected spring will accomplish this.
    For a 5" 1911 a 16# is standard, and will function well with most ammo. Bump it up to 18# with hot loads, and it goes on from there.
    I run the 16's in my full size, and a 16 with 3 coils trimmed off in my Combat Commander(standard for a Commander is 18#) and they run like sewing machines.
    I hope this helps.
    my guy at the gun store said that you should have one in a 1911 because of some sort of wear going on inside the gun......he said that i don't need one for my gun and that he never heard one being made for my model

(Lawrence County)

Recoil buffers don't really reduce felt recoil as much as allowing you to use a lighter recoil spring (under 16lbs on a 5", .45 ACP 1911) which often allows the gun to cycle with less flip. There is a "feel" difference when using a buffer (I use aluminum or polymer buffs), but the real purpose is to keep the front sight down where you can track it.....allowing faster follow up shots for many people.

I tend to prefer a 12-13lb recoil and a 19lb mainspring in .45 ACP and .40 1911's. 13lbs in my Glock 35........

Cutting coils off of springs actually increases the spring rate so a 16lb spring with coils cut will act like a spring with a higher rate.

Don't get me started on the effects of a squared or rounded firing pin stop......which changes the effective rate of the pressure required to cock the hammer..........

Lycanheardthechantingthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Recoil buffers don't really reduce felt recoil as much as allowing you to use a lighter recoil spring (under 16lbs on a 5", .45 ACP 1911) which often allows the gun to cycle with less flip. There is a "feel" difference when using a buffer (I use aluminum or polymer buffs), but the real purpose is to keep the front sight down where you can track it.....allowing faster follow up shots for many people.

I tend to prefer a 12-13lb recoil and a 19lb mainspring in .45 ACP and .40 1911's. 13lbs in my Glock 35........

Cutting coils off of springs actually increases the spring rate so a 16lb spring with coils cut will act like a spring with a higher rate.

Don't get me started on the effects of a squared or rounded firing pin stop......which changes the effective rate of the pressure required to cock the hammer..........

Lycanheardthechantingthrope
    no by all means keep going this is very informative....after playing with a 1911 im very interested in getting one....the gun store people are always helpful but they would tell me i need not worry about what your talking about and it would be a closed matter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast