Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Planning trip to Texas

I was thinking of driving:

south on I-81 and then taking I-40 across Tennesse
    then to I-440 and I-30 across Arkansas to Texas
    then head south to Houston.

This route avoids the unfriendly state of Alabama.

Once I get past Maryland, I thought of OCing to Arkansas and then slapping on the the Crossbreed SuperTuck for Arkansas and Texas travel.

Has anyone else made a similar trip? If so, what mode of carry worked for you in the OC permitted states of WV, VA, and TN.

Any other words of wisdom?
    NRA Life Member. OC is comfy!

Default Re: Planning trip to Texas

Not sure where I-440 is, I-81 ends at I-40.

Just be sure to deep conceal in TX.

You will be busted for printing.

I've made several cross country trips. I usualy keep my 1911 in the center console of my truck in a milton sparks holster. Upon stopping for whatever reason, I merely put the weapon on and conceal. I'm a conceal type guy...fwiw. Never had a problem. The last cross country trip was the entire month of May and I also kept a Rem 870 Tactical 6+1 fully loaded in a soft gun case in a very easily accessable location. Good luck and happy trails!

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Bullock View Post
    I was thinking of driving:

south on I-81 and then taking I-40 across Tennesse
    then to I-440 and I-30 across Arkansas to Texas
    then head south to Houston.

This route avoids the unfriendly state of Alabama.

Once I get past Maryland, I thought of OCing to Arkansas and then slapping on the the Crossbreed SuperTuck for Arkansas and Texas travel.

Has anyone else made a similar trip? If so, what mode of carry worked for you in the OC permitted states of WV, VA, and TN.

Any other words of wisdom?
    Just because Alabama doesn't have reciprocity with PA does not mean it's an unfriendly state.

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    Just because Alabama doesn't have reciprocity with PA does not mean it's an unfriendly state.
    Yep, a UT or NH, will cover you in AL.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for the input.
    NRA Life Member. OC is comfy!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Just be sure to deep conceal in TX.

You will be busted for printing.
    I had no idea Texas was such a hardass about CC.
    We were thinking about relocating there. No OC?
    bummer.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by FMJ View Post
    I had no idea Texas was such a hardass about CC.
    We were thinking about relocating there. No OC?
    bummer.
    Yeah, it's VERY upsetting. We've been trying to change it for years, but the damn liberal in Austin keep making it hell. Since we were some of the first to enact carry laws, there wasn't really any precedents before. Well the liberals got a hold of that and ran off, and we've been dragging them back ever since. It will change, I'm guessing within the next 4-5 years is not unreasonable. Although I do hope that it's in the next year or 2, but we'll see.

There is something to remember about Texas, that many other states do not allow. In Texas, you can carry a loaded firearm right there in you vehicle even without a permit. Some states, even with a permit, you can't have one in the pipe, or within arm's reach. New Mexico is really bad about carry laws, etc. In Texas, you can keep a loaded firearm right there in your lap if you like as long as it's "concealed". The term concealed is VERY loose, and that could mean just a shirt or towel overthe firearm. I'm not saying this is the best way to carry a firearm in a vehicle, merely that you are allowed to carry quite loosely in your vehicle. You should also remember that in Texas currently, there is no carry in state parks, federal buildings, etc. So do NOT carry a firearm in a court house, state monument, post office, etc. There is also no carry in any business that makes 51% or more of it's income by sales of alcohol. There will ALWAYS be a sign right by the front door that says if they do make 51% of their income by alcohol sales. It will be a white sign that has 51% in a light red tint in the background. This means you cannot carry in a bar. Some of the laws really suck, and we're doing our best to get them changed, but right now that's kind of what we're stuck with. That's part of why all of us Texans HATE Austin and all the liberal BS that comes out of it.

You should also be aware that even on private property, you do NOT have to obey signs that sign "no firearms" or things like that; IF it is not federal property. The only sign that you have to obey can be criminally prosecuted for is the "30.06 sign". This is what it looks like.

If you see one of these signs and choose to carry, you CAN be changed with "Trespass by holder of a license to conceal carry". Otherwise, the private business owner can just ask you to leave and that would mean that you need to. Texas is VERY big on private property laws. You can see more on signs in Texas here. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...ignposting.htm .

I hope that this helps your journey and let me know if you have any other problems or questions.

(Montgomery County)

That communist pansy state doesn't allow OC, be careful..

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Yeah, it's VERY upsetting. We've been trying to change it for years, but the damn liberal in Austin keep making it hell. Since we were some of the first to enact carry laws, there wasn't really any precedents before. Well the liberals got a hold of that and ran off, and we've been dragging them back ever since. It will change, I'm guessing within the next 4-5 years is not unreasonable. Although I do hope that it's in the next year or 2, but we'll see.

There is something to remember about Texas, that many other states do not allow. In Texas, you can carry a loaded firearm right there in you vehicle even without a permit. Some states, even with a permit, you can't have one in the pipe, or within arm's reach. New Mexico is really bad about carry laws, etc. In Texas, you can keep a loaded firearm right there in your lap if you like as long as it's "concealed". The term concealed is VERY loose, and that could mean just a shirt or towel overthe firearm. I'm not saying this is the best way to carry a firearm in a vehicle, merely that you are allowed to carry quite loosely in your vehicle. You should also remember that in Texas currently, there is no carry in state parks, federal buildings, etc. So do NOT carry a firearm in a court house, state monument, post office, etc. There is also no carry in any business that makes 51% or more of it's income by sales of alcohol. There will ALWAYS be a sign right by the front door that says if they do make 51% of their income by alcohol sales. It will be a white sign that has 51% in a light red tint in the background. This means you cannot carry in a bar. Some of the laws really suck, and we're doing our best to get them changed, but right now that's kind of what we're stuck with. That's part of why all of us Texans HATE Austin and all the liberal BS that comes out of it.

You should also be aware that even on private property, you do NOT have to obey signs that sign "no firearms" or things like that; IF it is not federal property. The only sign that you have to obey can be criminally prosecuted for is the "30.06 sign". This is what it looks like.

If you see one of these signs and choose to carry, you CAN be changed with "Trespass by holder of a license to conceal carry". Otherwise, the private business owner can just ask you to leave and that would mean that you need to. Texas is VERY big on private property laws. You can see more on signs in Texas here. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...ignposting.htm .

I hope that this helps your journey and let me know if you have any other problems or questions.
    Thanks for the info Tomcat. Very informative indeed. I had no idea it was that restricted. Especially since PA and TX have a reciprocity agreement.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast