Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Library Sportsmens Club

I'm looking for a new club to join. The Library Sportsmen Club is closest to my house (about 15 mins, I'm in Baldwin/Whitehall area). I have been trying to find more information on this place but keep coming up empty. I've tried to get in touch with them, but I'm not hearing anything back. Do any of you have any info on this place? From the description on the web site, it sounds decent. Indoor and outdoor pistol & rifle, skeet, and trap. I will really only be using the pistol range, but it's good to know they ave all the others.

Can anyone recommend any other clubs that may be in the area that wouldn't be too far from the South Hills?

Thanks for any info!!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Library Sportsmens Club

Quote Originally Posted by Fast_Lambert View Post
    I'm looking for a new club to join. The Library Sportsmen Club is closest to my house (about 15 mins, I'm in Baldwin/Whitehall area). I have been trying to find more information on this place but keep coming up empty. I've tried to get in touch with them, but I'm not hearing anything back. Do any of you have any info on this place? From the description on the web site, it sounds decent. Indoor and outdoor pistol & rifle, skeet, and trap. I will really only be using the pistol range, but it's good to know they ave all the others.

Can anyone recommend any other clubs that may be in the area that wouldn't be too far from the South Hills?

Thanks for any info!!

This gets asked a lot on this site so I did a search of my older posts and cut/ pasted the following.::::::

Bridgeville guy here.

I rejoined PMSC and am a member at Coraopolis as well.

PMSC is one of the premier shooting ranges I have shot at.

I let my membership lapse for a year.

I looked at McDonald. Nice range. 600yd rifle if that's what you are into. Range rules not too restrictive. Mandatory work parties with substantial dues increase if you don't do them. ($150/yr if you don't work them IIRC) Close to me

Forest Grove is a nice range. Reasonable but they shut it down for scheduled training classes. 100 yd rifle. One or 2 pistol bays. Range rules not too restrictive but I don't think you are allowed to shoot steel.

Coraopolis. Reasonably priced. Nice small range with indoor facility as well as 100 yd rifle. Not too restrictive on range rules (mag limits) but I've had complaints of too many people on weekends.

Collier. Very close to me. Mag limits. (not sure about shooting steel).
    Other range rules (I don't remember specifics) I didn't like.
    Won't join.

Mt Lebanon. Supposed to be nice. ABSOLUTELY NO HOLSTER PRESENTATIONS.
    This in itself is complete idiocy. The safest place for a loaded handgun is in the holster. How you can call yourself a gun club with this type of restriction is beyond me. I guess any type of self defense training, drills and practice of doing presentations are not needed to keep sharp with self defense in mind.
    This downright upsets me. I got an EMail from Bruce Unger who referred to this type of training drill as "holster play". I never referenced competition but evidently there will be non of that as well. I didn't even get into reactive steel targets or any type of night/ low light training.

Greater Pitt gun club. whoops sorry guys. I digress.

Let me get back to PMSC.

It is too far for me to drive, HOWEVER, they have a 25yd pistol range next to a 300 yd rifle range for starters.
    They have archery range. Traps/ clays or whatever in the hell those guys do with shotguns.
    They have a VERY nice inside pistol range.

When you go up to the "back forty", you will find a main range at about 35 yds, a nice big training type range at about 50 yds (the FireInstitute holds the majority of their training classes here---Take some). There used to be a shoothouse which collapsed in a storm but will be rebuilt soon. There are at least 5 other pistol bays which almost certainly allows you to have an entire bay to yourself.

This range is the cats ass around this region.
    There are no mag limitations and you can occasionally shoot full auto which is restricted to a couple shoots per year.

Pafoa holds a group shoot there the second Sunday of every month. (cold range, RO's present in every bay which is being used).

This club has IPSC shoots, gun bashes,and you can even hunt on the grounds during hunting season.

I like it.

Go there. The 50/55 minute drive for me is worth it.

27hand

(Allegheny County)

27 - Thanks for the info! You made PMSC sound great. Looks like I just missed the PAFOA July shoot though. Do they ever have any other shoot open to the public to see what it's like? I'm assuming you need to know a member to join also?

Again, Thanks for the info!

Mark

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fast_Lambert View Post
    27 - Thanks for the info! You made PMSC sound great. Looks like I just missed the PAFOA July shoot though. Do they ever have any other shoot open to the public to see what it's like? I'm assuming you need to know a member to join also?

Again, Thanks for the info!

Mark
    The Pafoa shoots are on the second Sunday of the month regardless of what else happens that day. Any Pafoa member or PMSC member can attend. Pafoa members who are not PMSC members cannot invite a guest and non PMSC members pay a $5 fee.

PMSC website can offer some more info on joining ( you don't need a sponsor).

I think their IPSC shoots and some shotgun shoots are open to the public.

Some of the directors are members of this board so someone may jump in to clarify. Work parties, although required , are not enforced. They would like to see members pitch in to help out when they can.

I like it. I think it's the best club going but haven't been to a lot of clubs.

When i review range policies on the various club websites, that indicates to me if it worthy of my time to check out.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

lol..................

I only clicked on this to see if it had become a PMSC thread yet.

27 pretty much covered it. Great club, awesome facilities, good rules, and fantastic membership.

20-25 min from my door in Squirrel Hill to the range.

see ya around

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    lol..................
    I only clicked on this to see if it had become a PMSC thread yet.
    27 pretty much covered it. Great club, awesome facilities, good rules, and fantastic membership.
    20-25 min from my door in Squirrel Hill to the range.
    see ya around
    You forgot http://www.pmsconline.com

Oh yea, I'm the Vice President of PMSC

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Allegheny County)

PMSC should make 27 our public relations man.

27greatsalesjobhand

kolimembertoo01
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Koli01 View Post
    PMSC should make 27 our public relations man.

27greatsalesjobhand

kolimembertoo01
    I'd vote for 27!!!

I currently live 1.6 miles from Library Sportsmens Club and am a member at PMSC. 27 covered PMSC very well and it is worth the drive from the South Hills. No other club in the Pgh region compares to PMSC, period.

(Allegheny County)

I do know they disallow Holstering. Otherwise a nice place with good people.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RangeLady View Post
    I do know they disallow Holstering. Otherwise a nice place with good people.
    You must be speaking of Library Sportsmens Club as there are no such issues at PMSC.

Just wanted to make that clear.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast