Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default ATF says only one piston, adapter per silencer

Saw this on silencertalk, also being discussed on arfcom.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42389 (you need a login to view here)
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=900717&page=1

Emailed YHM about getting a new piston for my Cobra so I could put on my Sig and this is what I got back.

Sir,
    Unfortunately I have bad news. We were finially notified by ATF Monday morning that we can no longer sell individual pistons, 3-lug adapters, fixed barrel adapters and most other componets seperately. We can sell a sound suppressor with one attaching device and that is it. We are not very happy to say the least. This is going to affect our business tremendousely. Apparently we were the first, and now ATF is going to go after all other sound suppressor manufacturers as well. We are going to fight this, and the owner of this company has already contacted some attorneys about taking legal action. As you saw we were forced to take all the products off our web page or face legal action by ATF. We are waiting to hear the final word on the QD mounts, and I am not expecting good news about them either. All I can tell you now is to be patient while we appeal ATF's ruling and hopefully get it overturned. Sorry for the inconvience, however our hands are tied at the moment, and no one is more upset than us over this matter.

I got this email from
    Tom Camilleri
    Sales-Tech
    YHM

(Centre County)

Default Re: ATF says only one piston, adapter per silencer

BLOODY HELL
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Berks County)

Who didn't see that coming? I have a feeling that "wipes" are about to become a registered part again...then, they might rescind the letter saying that a shoe string isn't a machine gun.

(Allegheny County)

That sucks ... got to love this shit!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

ATF has been outta control since Reagan left office. They get to "interpret" laws any effin' way they want and no one says shitt.

In the early 80's you could get a can "kit" of rough parts and it was completely legal - then one day - a "wipe" is in-and-of-itself; a can.

Same thing with a threaded 2-liter bottle adapter for a M11/9 - one day its legal, the next thing you know the simple little device is in-and-of-itself; a can.

We need someone to reign-in those cowboys, but it won't be happening anytime soon. Like arguing against seatbelts...

(Montgomery County)

So, by this logic, every 1/2-28 threaded barrel is an attachment device for a thread-on can?!

Damn! and I was planning on getting a 7.62 YMH can to use on my .308 and everything down from there!
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    So, by this logic, every 1/2-28 threaded barrel is an attachment device for a thread-on can?!

Damn! and I was planning on getting a 7.62 YMH can to use on my .308 and everything down from there!
    There is a difference that can be put forth...with these adapters, it is actually the rear part of the suppressor, not merely a mounting device on the rifle. Any part of the suppressor, currently excluding wipes, is a NFA item. Thus, if the mount is the rear back cap of the suppressor, it is a NFA item; whereas, if the suppressor can completely and normally function and the part on the rifle is merely a form of attachment (AKA not the rear cap of the suppressor), then it is not an NFA item.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigForLife View Post
    There is a difference that can be put forth...with these adapters, it is actually the rear part of the suppressor, not merely a mounting device on the rifle. Any part of the suppressor, currently excluding wipes, is a NFA item. Thus, if the mount is the rear back cap of the suppressor, it is a NFA item; whereas, if the suppressor can completely and normally function and the part on the rifle is merely a form of attachment (AKA not the rear cap of the suppressor), then it is not an NFA item.
    Sorry, I was being a bit "dramatic"-maybe, but thanks for the clarification. I was keying off of the statement that YMH was also under attack on the quick mounts
    ... We are waiting to hear the final word on the QD mounts, and I am not expecting good news about them either. ...
    which is the system I intended to go with. I've gone so far as to have (2) 7.62x39 barrels cut and rethreaded (from 1/2-28) to the 7.62 standard 5/8-24.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100