Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Gasoline tax to pay for infrastructure

I thought the stimulus was supposed to pay for this?????

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09197/984248-147.stm

Chamber of Commerce chief: Raise gas tax
    Thursday, July 16, 2009
    By Jon Schmitz, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Saying business owners are willing to pay higher gasoline taxes, the president of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce yesterday urged Congress to get moving on new transportation legislation.

Thomas J. Donahue led more than 100 business leaders from 28 states to Capitol Hill to oppose an 18-month delay in enactment of multiyear legislation to authorize road, bridge and transit improvements.

The Obama administration has proposed the delay, with support of some key Senate members, amid disagreement over how to fund the measure.

Mr. Donahue said the nation faces crumbling infrastructure and a looming transportation crisis. The federal Highway Trust Fund, which draws revenue from an 18.4-cent-per-gallon federal gas tax that hasn't changed since 1993, is nearly broke, and the current legislation authorizing transportation projects expires Sept. 30.

"While a lot of people would make noise about [a 10-cent gas tax increase], that would last about two days and we'd be back to building highways," he said on a conference call with reporters. "The American business community is saying we don't see this as a tax. This is a user fee."

He was joined by Steve Odland, chairman and CEO of Office Depot, which has 1,100 U.S. stores and makes a half-million deliveries per week. Mr. Odland served on a congressional study commission that last year recommended annual 5- to 8-cent gasoline tax increases, plus indexing to inflation, to replenish the Highway Trust Fund over the short term. The panel endorsed a long-term switch to a fee based on miles traveled.

He said the nation's transportation system, once considered "the gold standard," has "fallen into disrepair."

U.S. Rep. James L. Oberstar, D-Minn., chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, last month unveiled a blueprint for the new transportation bill that would increase spending by 38 percent, to $450 billion over six years, and make sweeping reforms to transportation policy.

The blueprint did not address how the program would be financed.

The Obama administration has opposed a gas tax increase, and has been joined by some senators in seeking an 18-month extension of the current transportation law, known as SAFETEA-LU.

Mr. Donahue's group, which represents some 3 million businesses and organizations, is heading an advertising and lobbying campaign, with ads on buses and commuter trains and in magazines and on Web sites, and opinion columns in newspapers, calling for a new transportation bill.

"Let's not play these games of delay and dodge," Mr. Donahue said. "We need to get on with this."

U.S. Rep. Jason Altmire, D-McCandless, a member of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, said Congress should move ahead on the bill "as soon as possible."

"All across our country, and especially in Western Pennsylvania, we have roads and bridges that are in critical need of repair," he said. "Given this, I do not want to delay passing a bill that would put Americans to work building the 21st-century infrastructure our nation needs."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09197...#ixzz0LTAEKxDx

(Chester County)

Default Re: Gasoline tax to pay for infrastructure

We already pay a fuckin user fee in the gas taxes already enacted. What? They need more to squander? Give me a fuckin break.

ten cents? where do all the other gas taxes go? total crock of shit! i thought we already paid over 1.65 per gallon tax (07) ? are there any members here that own a tri-axle or semi-rig? tell us what you pay in gas taxes. its a friggin crime.
    FJB

(Beaver County)

total gas tax per state... link here

After crude oil costs, taxes are the second largest contributor to the price paid at the pump. Together Federal and State excise taxes on fuel account for an average cost of approximately 62 cents per gallon. Rates include Federal excise taxes 18.4 cpg for gasoline and 24.4 cpg for diesel. cpg = cents per gallon
    pa gas tax (state and fed combined)

Pennsylvania 50.7 (gasoline) 63.6 (diesel fuel)

19.2 cent per gallon oil company franchise tax on gas. 26.1 cpg oil company franchise tax on diesel.1.1 cpg UST fee (not sure where this is added in)

Mind you, I think it's like 2 CPG of the fed tax goes straight to a mass transit fund and not the highway fund

And let's not forget that the highway dept is a nice place to slip pork to the states...how many hundreds of millions (if not billions by now) have been doled out to "encourage" state laws that the fed's approve of (seat belts being a good example)

So my opinion? If the money was actually used for infrastructure I'd be fine with it, I happen to like good quality roads (not that I see very many of them in our great commonwealth...), but since our government has demonstrated over and over again that it can't be trusted to spend the money it confiscates where it originally promises to, I say "let em pound salt."

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    oil company franchise tax
    I just could never understand this one.
    I do know that we would be paying it in the long run as an added cost, but who in the hell thought it was a good idea that the citizens pay for the oil companies business tax?

http://www.revenue.state.pa.us/reven...p?A=11&Q=48877
    Prior to October 1, 1997, all oil companies conducting business in Pennsylvania were subject to an excise tax for the privilege of exercising their corporate franchise, doing business, employing capital, owning or leasing property, maintaining an office or having employees in the Commonwealth. Effective October 1, 1997, Act 3–1997 imposed an oil company franchise tax on all taxable liquid fuels and fuels. The tax is imposed on a cents-per-gallon equivalent basis and is remitted by distributors of liquid fuels and fuels.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Lehigh County)

The funny fucked up thing is.. If it wasn't for the 99 thousand other BS taxes and crap going on right now, they could make this arguement and most people would go along with it..

But the BS is just getting to deep.

The Gas tax is one of the few that make sense.. Gas taxes = We build and maintain roads.. It's a logical link.. The more gas you buy, the more roads you use and the more you pay..

But like I said, in the current chaos? Ya.. Good luck.. oy..

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Morel42 View Post
    The funny fucked up thing is.. If it wasn't for the 99 thousand other BS taxes and crap going on right now, they could make this arguement and most people would go along with it..

But the BS is just getting to deep.

The Gas tax is one of the few that make sense.. Gas taxes = We build and maintain roads.. It's a logical link.. The more gas you buy, the more roads you use and the more you pay..

But like I said, in the current chaos? Ya.. Good luck.. oy..
    The problem is there is already a gas tax that is supposed to go toward maintaining infrastructure. Additionally tolls are supposed to go toward that, but instead have been bogarted for mass transit.

i would be fine with a .10 higher gas tax as long as they started to repeal some of the taxes that do not need to be on the books, like the tax that is still paying for the War of 1812....

Quote Originally Posted by schmol View Post
    i would be fine with a .10 higher gas tax as long as they started to repeal some of the taxes that do not need to be on the books, like the tax that is still paying for the War of 1812....
    Details on this one please? I've never heard of this stupidity, but find it very easy to believe.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Jorg Schlagzeuger View Post
    Details on this one please? I've never heard of this stupidity, but find it very easy to believe.
    I know the state store still charges for a temporary tax to help with the relief of the Johnstown flood . . . from 1936. Temporary taxes are never temporary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast