Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Newbie looking for guidance

Hello everyone, I found this site looking for reviews on different pistols. I just got my permit two days ago and looking to buy a pistol this weekend. I was planning on getting a 9mm but my uncle talked me out of it to get a .45. The only brand I really looked into was Glock but I'm open to anything.

Does anyone have any recommendation for other .45s or possibly going down to 9mm? I'm looking to pay up to 800 for a pistol. I'm up in the air on full size or compact, what ever feels the best when I hold it. I'm 6 foot and I have big hands so I think I can handle the recoil of both. I never fired a pistol but fired a revolver using .44 Magn. when I was 14 and could handle the recoil, but it took about 20 seconds to aim and fire all 6 rounds.

I look forward to looking seeing what you guys think.

P.S. How come 'Glock' comes up on spell check on a gun site?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Newbie looking for guidance

What about a .40 S&W?

From an ammo point of view .45 is alot more expensive to shoot than either 9mm or .40 would be. I have a Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45. I can't shoot as much as I'd like because it does bite into my wallet.

Take a look at the Taurus pistols. The Millenium Pro is a good compact carry piece. It comes in all 3 calibers.

One important thing is to make sure you like how the pistol feels in your hand. I was all set to buy a Ruger P345 but when I held it I didn't like the feel. Likewise when I held the Taurus, I loved the grip. It fits my hand.

As far as Glocks go... I'll never own a gun that doesn't have a proper safety on it. Just my 2 cents.

(Cambria County)

First, there is very little difference between pistol calibers fired through modern handguns using modern ammunition, so don't let yourself be talked out of that 9mm so easily. We're in a very fortunate time as gun owners as there are tons of good guns out there.

Glock
    1911's
    Sig Sauer
    HK
    FN handguns
    Beretta
    Kahr
    Smith and Wesson (M&P)
    Walther (P99's)
    Springfield XD
    CZ
    (insert a bunch of others here).

Pick the platform first, based on what fits your hand and feels the best (shoot it if you can to find out how comfortable it is while firing it instead of just holding it).

After you know what your hand and body like the best, pick from the available calibers. It helps to check into any problems with specific calibers on a given platform as sometimes, some gun models don't like to run with one caliber while they're perfectly reliable with another due to a design issue or something similar.

(Westmoreland County)

In a .45ACP, S&W M&P or SA XD.

In a 9mm, G19, SA XD or S&W M&P.

With an $800 budget, you have a nice range for pistols. The G21 is bulky for most people, but seeing how you are 6' it should be alright.

45's I'd recommend
    XD45 Service 13 +1 capacity...excellent shooter $450 from CDNN...spend the rest on extra mags and ammo

PT1911 $510-570...Another good shooting 45 with the classic 1911 looks. 8 +1 capcity.

M&P 45 price should be low to mid $500

HK USP45c $700ish Good shooter but a little bulky for my size to carry. 8+1 capacity

(Centre County)

Need more info.

DA or SA, blue or stainless, polymer, steel or alloy frame, fixed or adjustable sights, concealed or open carry, planned uses, any manufacturers you don't want? Lots of factors to determine the final purchase. That's why many of us have several (or more) LOL.

A 45 or 9 can price from $100 to $2000+, It depends on the bells and whistles you want. A good basic 45 is the Rock Island Armory at about $350-$400. Ruger makes several DA models, the 45's are around $500. S&W makes several models, Glock makes several models, Colt, Kimber, RRA, Browning, Kel-Tec, Kahr, and many, many more make both 45's and 9's.

Answer as many of the above questions above and this may help you narrow your search. Your question is very open ended, especially on a very subjective subject. Many like Glocks only and you will get their opinions. Others only like SA 45's (think GI looking 45 auto), others like Ruger, S&W, Kimber, others only like 9mm, etc., etc., etc.

Wander down to your local gun shop and look, hold, ask questions. I say your local gun shop because many of the big box stores that sell firearms, the clerks are probably not real knowledgeable (not to say there may not be people that can help, but typically they don't know near as much as the local gun shop owner).

Once you've narrowed your choices, come back on to the forum and ask what people think and what they know about accuracy, problems, idiosyncrasies, good place to buy, etc.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

.40 cal, Glock model 23. Great pistol for reliability and concealment.

As far as Glocks go... I'll never own a gun that doesn't have a proper safety on it. Just my 2 cents.
    I have a safety, My trigger finger.

Edited to add:
    Best choice, Whatever your most comfortable with. Try shooting a couple before you buy. And WOW NJ permit? I thought those did not exist
    Last edited by Fraggle09027; June 1st, 2007 at 04:23 PM.

(Beaver County)

Being your new to pistols, I'd suggest finding a shooting range and trying a couple different types, seams from the responses we could of said all of em. Don't let anyone talk you out of your decision. But you should decide based on somthing. Don't be afraid of useing the search fuction.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Come out to Pittsburgh on June 10th and go to the PAFOA group shoot at the Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsman's Club.

Quote Originally Posted by n0nleft View Post
    I just got my permit two days ago and looking to buy a pistol this weekend. I was planning on getting a 9mm but my uncle talked me out of it to get a .45. The only brand I really looked into was Glock but I'm open to anything.

Does anyone have any recommendation for other .45s or possibly going down to 9mm? I'm looking to pay up to 800 for a pistol. I'm up in the air on full size or compact, what ever feels the best when I hold it. I'm 6 foot and I have big hands so I think I can handle the recoil of both.
    Since you have a LTCF, I will start by assuming you want a pistol that is concealable. These are known as "compact" and "sub-compact". Compact pistols are a great compromise between size and barrel length. I am 5'9" and have no trouble concealing my compacts.

In 45 ACP for less that $800 (in random order):
    Kimber Pro-Carry II (similar pistols are known as a 1911 Commander size) http://www.kimberamerica.com
    Para-Ordinance CCO (1911 derivative with an LDA trigger) http://www.paraord.com
    HK USP 45C or HK45C http://www.hk-usa.com
    Springfield Armory XD45 Compact http://www.springfield-armory.com
    Kahr TP4543 http://www.kahr.com
    Taurus 24/7 http://www.taurususa.com
    Ruger P345 http://www.ruger-firearms.com
    Glock 36 http://www.glock.com

As you can see, you have plenty of options. Go to a variety of gun stores and put your hands on a few, and pick the one that fits and feels the best.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast