Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LCTF and Rifles

(Perry County)

Default LCTF and Rifles

I read in another thread that you can't have a loaded rifle in your vehicle even if you have an LCTF.

What is the reasoning behind this?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: LCTF and Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    I read in another thread that you can't have a loaded rifle in your vehicle even if you have an LCTF.

What is the reasoning behind this?
    2 reasons..

1. poaching
    2. because a long gun is nearly impossible to wield and bring to bear within a vehicle, thus negating any practical use. And if you're in the vehicle, or heading to it(to retrieve it), you have a means to retreat - most likely in complete safety.

Could someone post a link to the statute that forbids this? Does it apply to all long guns including shotguns?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mudlust View Post
    Could someone post a link to the statute that forbids this? Does it apply to all long guns including shotguns?

It applies to all guns, including shotguns, that meet the below definitions. So in theory you could legally carry a loaded registered NFA SBS or SBR as a "firearm" even though it's the same thing with 2 inches hacked off the end.
    Re OP: Because long guns are not firearms.

TITLE 18
    PA CRIMES CODES

§61O2. Definitions.
    “Firearm.” Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    Last edited by MuzzleFlash; July 16th, 2009 at 09:02 AM.

(Tioga County)

Sec 6102:

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

Add: you will note some of the firearms covered here require the $200 tax be paid to the Feds before you can possess them.
    Last edited by rwilson452; July 16th, 2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: add:
    USNRET '61-'81

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by mudlust View Post
    Pa.C.S. § 6106.1: Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms
    (a) General rule.-- Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.
    (b) Penalty.--A person who violates the provisions of this section commits a summary offense.
    A LTCF only covers "firearms" by definition, which was posted above.

(Lancaster County)

if you have a LTCF, you are heading to the range, must you separate the ammo and the rifle the same as a non LTCF holder? When I go to the range, I throw everything in the back seat. Pistols, Ammo, Rifles. My ammo is in my range bag right next to my rifles. Is this illegal?
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.-Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the replies guys. I was somewhat familiar with 6102(definitions relating to the uniform firearms act) that grouped short barreled rifles and shotguns with pistols under the definition of "firearm". 6101.1 is what I was looking for. Thanks knight0334.
    MrBlackHawk, In regards to your example I found this:
    6102."Loaded" A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm."
    6101.1 prohibits the carrying of loaded long guns as I have just been re-educated.

(Lancaster County)

it's my understanding that if you do not have an LTCF, you must carry your ammo in a different compartment of the vehicle. for instance, if your gun is in the back seat, you must have the ammo in the trunk.
    Now what I'm wondering is if you have an LTCF, you can carry your handgun loaded anywhere in the vehicle. BUT, can you have an unloaded rifle in the same compartment of the vehicle as the ammo for that rifle? I have a van. when I go to the range, I normally put 2 or 3 rifles across the back seats, unloaded. In my range bag I have all my ammo for my rifles and my handguns. Handguns are either in the bag or on the floor of the van. I usually have my carry piece loaded either in my belt or with the other guns. There is no doubt that I can have a handgun either loaded or sitting right beside my ammo. but must I obey the same laws for the rifles that a non-LTCF shooter must follow?
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.-Thomas Jefferson

(Tioga County)

No, you must carry your ammo in a separate compartment but not a separate compartment of your vehicle. For example, A tactical bag for an AR has pouches on the outside of the bag. It is legal to carry loaded magazines in the separate compartments ( pouches) of the bag. but not in the same compartment of the bag as the rifle. Nor is there a requirement for any of it to be locked. You could toss an empty pistol on the passenger seat and stuff your pockets with loaded magazines. Not that I would suggest leaving a firearm loose like that.

Interstate travel under peaceable journey laws are quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlackHawk View Post
    it's my understanding that if you do not have an LTCF, you must carry your ammo in a different compartment of the vehicle. for instance, if your gun is in the back seat, you must have the ammo in the trunk.
    Now what I'm wondering is if you have an LTCF, you can carry your handgun loaded anywhere in the vehicle. BUT, can you have an unloaded rifle in the same compartment of the vehicle as the ammo for that rifle? I have a van. when I go to the range, I normally put 2 or 3 rifles across the back seats, unloaded. In my range bag I have all my ammo for my rifles and my handguns. Handguns are either in the bag or on the floor of the van. I usually have my carry piece loaded either in my belt or with the other guns. There is no doubt that I can have a handgun either loaded or sitting right beside my ammo. but must I obey the same laws for the rifles that a non-LTCF shooter must follow?
    USNRET '61-'81

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast