Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default How do you carry your extra magazine (not a clip)

I carry an XD Subcompact in a Crossbreed Supertuck that I find to be very comfortable and I like it a lot.

I have been carrying an extra magazine for a while now. I normally just throw it in my front pants pocket. Being a double stack mag with 13 rounds in it, it gets pretty heavy riding in the pocket and I have found pocket junk stuck in the magazine already.

I have been contemplating getting an IWB magazine pouch. Does anyone have or use one of these? What type you using? Any recommendations?

If not, how do you carry your extra mag.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Chester County)

Default Re: How do you carry your extra magazine (not a clip)

For everyday one mag in a Bulman at 9:00. For training, two mags in a Blade-tech double, also at 9:00.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    For everyday one mag in a Bulman at 9:00. For training, two mags in a Blade-tech double, also at 9:00.
    IWB or outside. Is this the brand name of the mag pouch?

(Lancaster County)

When i carry, i am waring my pair of 5.11 tactical shorts, and they have a handy pocket for a spare mag, that fits my G23 mag nicely... Keeps it separate, and it does not bounce around at all...
    Semper Fi

(Berks County)

I carry mine in the nylon pouce that came with a multitool i bought for use at home (handy to keep in a toolbox). I CC (for now) and since nobody even blinks at a "multitool" on someones belt its the perfect way to conceal the mag while keeping it easily accessible.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post

I have been carrying an extra magazine for a while now. I normally just throw it in my front pants pocket. Being a double stack mag with 13 rounds in it, it gets pretty heavy riding in the pocket and I have found pocket junk stuck in the magazine already.

If not, how do you carry your extra mag.
    I have a few different autos I carry in my right front pocket or on strong side hip during summer. I came up with a simple flexible solution for carrying a spare mag in the opposite pocket that works for all of them, small or large caliber, single or double stack.

Grab an inexpensive ($9 - $12) Uncle Mike's pocket holster for a snubnose revolver.
    A size 3 (fits S&W J - frame / Taurus 85 series snubbies) works well.

On the _inside_ of the pocket holster, run two mating velcro strips laterally, (one front and one back) facing each other for proper alignment. Use the existing exterior "sticky strip" on these holsters as a guide, run the velcro parallel / just above them ... some velcro strips have adhesive on the rear / some are plain, either works but I recommend placing a few sewn stiches (simple hand stiching is fine) to anchor the velcro strips in place.

You can now insert a mag and press the holster around your mag, using the velcro to mold the holster around your mag for a snug fit, basically "wrapping" the pocket holster around the mag. You can center the mag, align it straight up as if in the "barrel" position if you were using the holster for a pistol, etc ...

Since mags of most any size can be placed at most any angle, this is really useful if you wear jeans one day, then cargo pants / shorts the next with their commonly much more generous pockets.

With small mags (such as for my Walther PPK/s 380) I can also carry a pocket knife in the same "mag" pocket holster, separating the two by pressing the velcro between them. You can imagine uses for carrying a flashlight, pepper spray, etc ... as well.

hope this helps ...

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Luzerne County)

I just put it in my back pocket. I haven't found a mag holster I like yet.. Not looking to hard.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    IWB or outside. Is this the brand name of the mag pouch?
    My bad! Bulman is the leather maker. I like his pouches because a lot of the mag is above the leather, making it easier to reload under stress. I prefer to have a lot of the mag to be able to grab for quicker reloads.

I carry OWB on both counts...

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by ironcowboy View Post
    When i carry, i am waring my pair of 5.11 tactical shorts, and they have a handy pocket for a spare mag, that fits my G23 mag nicely... Keeps it separate, and it does not bounce around at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by mjfletcher View Post
    I carry mine in the nylon pouce that came with a multitool i bought for use at home (handy to keep in a toolbox). I CC (for now) and since nobody even blinks at a "multitool" on someones belt its the perfect way to conceal the mag while keeping it easily accessible.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Instructor View Post
    I have a few different autos I carry in my right front pocket or on strong side hip during summer. I came up with a simple flexible solution for carrying a spare mag in the opposite pocket that works for all of them, small or large caliber, single or double stack.

Grab an inexpensive ($9 - $12) Uncle Mike's pocket holster for a snubnose revolver.
    A size 3 (fits S&W J - frame / Taurus 85 series snubbies) works well.

On the _inside_ of the pocket holster, run two mating velcro strips laterally, (one front and one back) facing each other for proper alignment. Use the existing exterior "sticky strip" on these holsters as a guide, run the velcro parallel / just above them ... some velcro strips have adhesive on the rear / some are plain, either works but I recommend placing a few sewn stiches (simple hand stiching is fine) to anchor the velcro strips in place.

You can now insert a mag and press the holster around your mag, using the velcro to mold the holster around your mag for a snug fit, basically "wrapping" the pocket holster around the mag. You can center the mag, align it straight up as if in the "barrel" position if you were using the holster for a pistol, etc ...

Since mags of most any size can be placed at most any angle, this is really useful if you wear jeans one day, then cargo pants / shorts the next with their commonly much more generous pockets.

With small mags (such as for my Walther PPK/s 380) I can also carry a pocket knife in the same "mag" pocket holster, separating the two by pressing the velcro between them. You can imagine uses for carrying a flashlight, pepper spray, etc ... as well.

hope this helps ...

How did you get the velcoro inside this holster. Did you turn it inside out, or just slide it down inside and sew it in place. Sounds like a neat idea. Just not exactly sure how you did it.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    My bad! Bulman is the leather maker. I like his pouches because a lot of the mag is above the leather, making it easier to reload under stress. I prefer to have a lot of the mag to be able to grab for quicker reloads.

I carry OWB on both counts...
    This brings up another thing I have wondered about.

What about the ones that wrap over the top of the magazine. I know they aren't made for speed, but would be more discreet. And the biggest factor is comfort. Carrying IWB I don't want that magazine scrapping against my skin all day. Even my holster has leather up the side of the pistol. You would thing that the edges of the magazine would scrap you in this style of a holster.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast