Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default 1st of 2 questions for me this month!

S! All!

Anyone own a 329PD? Mine is locking-up. Thought it was the internal safety with full-power loads but it appears I was wrong (sorry S&W) I disengaged the internal safety awhile back..and was very happy with my life in good hands..til it happened again! How the h*** does a revolver hammer lock back after a single-action fire? Anyone else? I really love this revolver but I must have it dependable.

Thanks ahead~ Ned

Default Re: 1st of 2 questions for me this month!

Please clarify "locking-up". Is the hammer able to cock, but not fall? Not cock at all? Why did you disable the internal safety? Handguns trigger mechanisms should not be modified unless you, or your gunsmith, know what they are doing.

A few weeks ago, I opened my SW trigger housing for cleaning. The hammer block (item #78) was a PITA to get back into place. The pistol was completely non-functional until this piece found its home. BTW, I learned that the trigger mechanism really doesn't need frequent cleaning. It was in great shape after a decade of use.

Hope this helps.

(Dauphin County)

It locks-up after firing a round in either single or double action mode. I'm pretty sure it is only with stiff-recoiling rounds. I had first blamed it on the internal safety due to the lack of..well..practically, anything stopping it from engaging. I was sure I was all set for brutal, bear attacks until I recently, hit the range again. The season is over and I like to qualify my firearms regularly. I head out to blow off all my bear-loads and "boom"..eh. Trigger is locked back..like I recocked it..(I did not)..I can't squeeze trigger to release..I must re-cock and release hammer. Go fiqure? I don't really see too many non-firing complaints on the 329PD from "guides" but I'm at a loss for what troubles mine.

(Dauphin County)

Cool Re: 1st of 2 questions for me this month!

If you are having punctured primers then that is likely the cause, the pressure vented from the case through the primer could well be enough to "recock" the hammer. This would be made more likely if the pistol had spring work done to lighten the hammer/trigger force. If the primers are punctured then the cause could be cyl end shake, a firing pin prob, high pressure, or the recoil setting back the primers in the pockets. Check these and get back to us.
    "May the seed of your loins be fruitful in the belly of your woooman" Neil, The Young Ones

If 6 outta 10 women are battered.....How come I'm eatin mine plain?

(Dauphin County)

Nope..no punctured primers and no signs of high pressures. I'm really at a loss and not ready to ship it back to S&W til I 'think' I understand the problem. I guess I'll do some more range time with different loads. I'm beginning to wonder if the recoil alone could be..na..there is no half-cock. I wish a had a serious revolver man nearby. Maybe, I should take it along to WSSA IDPA practice. I haven't been since the indoor range got closed. " or the recoil setting back the primers in the pockets " <-- Hmm.. I just re-read your post and will take a hard look at that! It's tuff to fiqure so far cause it doesn't happen often..just enough to worry me. It appears to happen ONLY with heavy bullets...like 310 grainers..but I can't swear to that yet.
    Last edited by luckyned7; June 13th, 2007 at 10:44 PM.