Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Lightbulb AR function Question

Someone asked me at the range the other day what the button on the right rear side of my AR was (forward assist). As i was explaining its function, i realized that i didnt know WHY you would need to assist a cartrige forward, i had always assumed it was designed to assist with the poor QC that goes with mill-spec ammo in the begining of the ARs development, OR possibly to deal with problems that arise with full auto fire/heat, etc. I didnt have an answer for the gentleman so i told him so and here i am........educate me please.

Evan
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

Default Re: AR function Question

If the bolt fails to go fully into battery, you can't hinge open the receivers (but you can probably pop both pins and service it that way.) The forward assist will help you to hinge it open, or fire the live round instead of ejecting it by racking the charging handle again.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Philadelphia County)

It's for SPORTS, cause SPORS just doesn't sound as cool :P
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Berks County)

"SPORTS": Slap, pull, observe, release, tap, shoot.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

Actually the Original AR15/M16 did not have a 'Forward Assist' and the Air Force was quite happy without it. They soldiered on with the M16 throughout Vietnam.
    When the Army adopted it as the M16A1 they wanted a means of assisting the Bolt forward in the Failure to feed type situation. Icing on the cake so to speak, an hence the Forward Assist as we know it was born.

You would probably never need to use it in your lifetime, But it's there if you do. There is also the school of thought that forcing the bolt home on a live cartridge that has failed to fully chamber for some unknown reason...Is a Bad idea. But then again in 'Combat' no one complains as long as it makes the gun go pop.

At the range I would:
    A) Figure out why if failed to feed.
    B) Pop out the pins and take corrective action. (if Possible, usually not)
    C) Follow the 'Sports' recommendation posted above. (Sometimes it may get more involved than that though)
    D) Continue shooting after sucessfully solving yet another minor problem and feel good about yourself.

TJB
    Last edited by TJB63; July 15th, 2009 at 09:32 PM.
    Recoil Happens

(Philadelphia County)

While we're on the subject, here's an article on TPRRRS and why it should be taught over SPORTS. I was taught SPORTS in Basic but have since started using TPRRRS.
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...s_/ai_n6362171
    If you don't want to have to read the whole article (although I highly recommend you do so) TPRRRS can be summarized as such.
    1. Tap (lightly tap bottom of magazine to seat it)
    2. Pull (pull on mag to ensure it's seated)
    3. Rack (charging handle back with non-firing hand with rifle stock still in your shoulder)
    4. Roll (ejection port down to allow round/case to fall out)
    5. Release (charging handle)
    6. Shoot (reacquire threat)

This will quickly and effectively clear any weapon malfunction SPORTS will and will not exacerbate certain malfunctions which SPORTS will. Improved remedial action is also covered in the article which is yet another reason I so highly recommend reading it. Pat Rogers articles on the subject outline the process and as always are a goldmine of useful and accurate information based on real world experience.

(York County)

thanks for all the info! so is this to say that there was no "real" problem that the forward assist was added for? its a "just i case" type of thing?
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Bucks County)

For a range gun, more than one person has disabled it.

Mine have been disabled or not installed.

If my understanding is correct, the pre-A1s didn't have a problem going into battery. It was getting the stuck cartridge out.

If your AR won't go into battery, unless you are being shot at, fix the problem.
    "Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Pennsylvania Gazette, February 20, 1788
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1911 View Post
    For a range gun, more than one person has disabled it.

Mine have been disabled or not installed.

If my understanding is correct, the pre-A1s didn't have a problem going into battery. It was getting the stuck cartridge out.

If your AR won't go into battery, unless you are being shot at, fix the problem.
    First off I don't see the point of disabling it. Not that you're ever likely to need it, but why disable it? Maybe it's just me.
    However the bolded section I cannot agree with. Train as you fight, you need to train yourself to clear a malfunction so that when the day comes you need to you do it without even thinking. Intentionally inducing malfunctions is an important part of training as well so that if it happens you know what to do automatically. TPRRRS will clear the majority of malfunctions without having to unshoulder your weapon or take your firing hand off the grip. Beyond that you need to know whether to go to your sidearm or take cover and perform remedial action. The one thing that most gunowners tend to neglect while kitting out is training. Train, train, and then train some more.

(Chester County)

They're still teaching SPORTS, FWIW...and still using 10+ year old magazines, and still teaching minimal lubrication, and still teaching to align the gas rings.

SPORTS sucks, and can create a bigger mess than you started with. Pat Rogers article explained it well, and I saw it happen again not 3 weeks ago.

Understand the cycle of operations, then proceed in a logical manor. Whether you choose to go to push/pull first...or observe the chamber first...shouldn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Just take prompt action and don't make things worse, IMO.

If time if of the essence when it comes to getting your gun back in the fight...then you should hang the rifle, draw your pistol, and worry about unf*cking your rifle once you have the time/ opportunity.

I use the FA after press checks, that's about it.