Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Default A Maryland Carry Story

So, where to start? Let’s try about 1995. It was about this time when I first tested the CCW waters in Maryland (MD). I dutifully went to the Maryland State Police (MSP) barracks and picked up an application. Whoa!! Fingerprint cards! References! Proof of assaults! Befuddled, I called the NRA for help contacting a gun-friendly attorney in MD. I got a name/number and called [name withheld]. My conversation with him was disappointing since I had never been robbed, mugged, or raped. I gave up.

The year 2000 found me back in MD after a two-year respite back home in Colorado. I decided again to get the permit. I completed two courses at Gunsite: 250 Pistol and Arizona CCW. I applied for and received (non-resident) permits from AZ and FL. I rounded-up some sympathetic character references and submitted the hefty – and incredibly intrusive – MD CCW application. That was 14 July 2003. The cover letter for that application follows. (NB: I hadn’t received my FL CCW yet.)

I am enclosing my application for a concealed handgun permit for the State of Maryland. I have included all of the required items as listed in the “Maryland State Police Handgun Permit Qualifications” page of the Maryland State Police Internet web site.

I am a strong believer in the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of the United States that protects an individual’s right to bear arms. As a human being, I have the right to defend myself against illegal deadly force once all non-violent means of avoiding the confrontation have been exhausted. As a law-abiding citizen of the State of Maryland, of sound mind and solid character, I am well within my rights to request of the State a concealed handgun permit. I am a knowledgeable, safe, and responsible gun owner. I have spent countless hours at the firing range becoming proficient with the use of my handguns.

To further refine those skills, I recently attended the intensive five-day “250 Defensive Pistol” course offered by The Gunsite Academy in Paulden, AZ. (Please refer to the attached photocopy of my graduation certificate and course syllabus.) This is a nationally recognized training program routinely attended by police officers and members of the U.S. Armed Forces in addition to civilians like me who desire training in defensive handgun use prior to seeking concealed handgun permits. On my own volition, I have studied numerous cases of self-defense in the State of Maryland so I would be cognizant of the legal limits and ramifications of the employment of deadly force. I am well versed in the concepts of “avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation” and I am fully aware that the use of firearms is a defensive measure of last resort.

As part of this application, I have included a photocopy of my recently issued Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP) from the State of Arizona. (Arizona issues CWPs to non-residents.) A minimum of 16 hours of instruction from a state-approved training facility is required to qualify for an Arizona CWP. I received this training at The Gunsite Academy as well. (Again, I have included a photocopy of my graduation certificate and course syllabus.) This non-resident permit is honored in nine other states including Virginia. It is my hope that the State of Maryland would extend to me the same courtesy as these states – of which I am not even a resident – and issue a concealed handgun permit to this Maryland resident.

In the first week of August 2003, I received a call from the local MSP barracks. They wanted an interview with me, which I scheduled for and attended on 11 August 2003, the results of which are included below. This is an e-mail I sent to my Support Staff (all of my character references and other people involved/interested in west Philadelphia born and raised. On the playground where I spent most of my days. Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool. And all shooting some b-ball outside of the school. When a couple of guys who were up in no good Started making trouble in my neighborhood. I got in one little fight and my mom got scared. And said you're moving with your aunte and uncle in bel-air.

Fellow Character References -- and Devil's Advocates, too:

OK, just an update on my Maryland CCW efforts.

Last week I got a call from the Maryland State Police (MSP) barracks in [town name withheld]. They wanted me to come in for an interview with Sergeant X [name withheld]. This was a bit unexpected since there was no mention of this anywhere in the application. Not knowing exactly what was to be discussed, I prepared a set of "interview style" questions for myself and answered them as I saw fit. I then sent out copies to a few of my best devil's advocates asking for review, revision, and addition. After scrutinizing/discussing the questions, I felt I was ready for anything.

It was totally unnecessary. Sorry guys. (However, the advocate that tossed-in the ex-wife question gets ten bonus points!! You know who you are...)

The interview was merely a fill-in-the-blanks type of thing. No questions about "Why..." or "What if..." Just stuff like "How long did you live in Colorado?" and "Are you still employed at [company name withheld]?" Sgt X was acting as the "coarse filter" before the application got bubbled up the state-level rubber-stampers. He asked about Gunsite and my AZ CCW. He asked about my drug and alcohol use. He asked about ex-wives. He asked about past assaults and current threats. It was actually kinda' boring.

Then he said, "Let me shut the door so I can vent." That gave me a scare but it turned out pretty cool. Seems the guy's one of us. NRA member. Believes that the 2nd Amendment is an individual right, not a collective one. Thinks that Kimber makes a damned fine 1911. (I have to agree!!...) But here's the clincher -- and I quote: "Maryland has the fifth highest violent crime rate in the US. If we could get some more concealed carry permits out there, maybe we could make a dent in that." BOO-YAH!! Run for something Sgt X, I'll vote for ya'!! He said that of all the people he's interviewed over the years, I have better quals and training than 99.9% of the applicants. If it was up to him, I would walk out of his office permit in hand. Works for me!!...

Unfortunately, that was the end of the good news. He said that without proof of previous threats and assaults, it's unlikely I'll get past the review board in Jessup. (Same thing I heard from the NRA-referred attorney a few years back.) He said he'll hold the permit until Friday in case I "think of something" -- and to call if I did. I replied that unless I get robbed, mugged, raped, or shot between now and then, there'd be nothing else. (I don't know if that was bait but I'm not biting if it was...) He said that he'd embellish his report as much as he could. He also said he'd contact [ex-wife] for info on past domestic violence. I called [ex-wife] and gave her the heads up. She was cool about it.

So it looks like I'm back to "low- to mid- probability". One thing that was unsettling about the whole thing -- and obviously unsettling to Sgt X -- was that rate at which permits ARE issued. If you're a cash business operator, a security guard, or a body guard, issuance is almost guaranteed. There are no training requirements. (Apparently the applicants have to qual at the MSP range and 70% of the rounds have to hit paper -- not just center of mass!! -- at close range. No duress, no holster draw, no time limit. Unlimited re-tries...) What's worse, he said, is that he's almost forced to approve foreign nationals hired as guards for embassy officials and other foreign "dignitaries". He said last week he had to approve a permit for someone from Cameroon. He couldn't even do a background check. He said, and I quote again: "That guy could be a mass murdered for all I know and I have no way to prove otherwise."

Sgt X was VERY cool and I don't think he was trying to blow sunshine up my skirt. He was a straight shooter (no pun intended) and I appreciated that. But I don't know how that leaves you guys in the picture at this point. You'll probably want stand ready in case the state does decide to contact you, The Appointed Few. (And you know who you are...)

So, until something else happens,

Ciào!!

Hope you had a laugh. And god bless Pennsylvania.
    Last edited by Magnum Banana; July 14th, 2009 at 02:24 PM.

(Perry County)

Default Re: A Maryland Carry Story

And that, ladies and gentlemen. Is what is known as a "Bel-Air" in the internet world.

(Franklin County)

Good post. But, unless you blow the governor, probably not too likely. Fantastic story though, and well written. If this works, I'll be scootin' over to the barracks shortly.

Side note, go get mugged!

(Allegheny County)

I am going to assume that you didn't get the MD CCW...

I've read that story before on another site - and it makes my blood boil.

Ah, well - one of these days we'll be able to get that changed. Maybe.

Not likely, but maybe.

(Perry County)

Will Smith is the man.
    Last edited by Magnum Banana; July 14th, 2009 at 02:23 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

The easy way to get a permit in MD is to get a van full of your 2A friends and hang out on Greenmont Ave. in Baltimore. Take turns getting out of the van and hanging out on the corner until you're robbed and beaten. Your friends will video tape it for you so you have proof. The thing is, it's still not enough. You'll probably have to repeat this about 3-4 times and go to a different corner each time.

MD law indicates that you need a "good and substantial reason" which is approved by the MD SP, before you get a carry permit, and that permit is usually restricted to certain places or while you're performing certain acts. For example, transporting a valuable gun collection may get you a CCW but it's only valid for use when transporting a valuable gun collection, which can only be transported to the range, exhibition, etc. So, it's really pointless. The fastest way to get a permit is to have a business where you are making large cash deposits for a business, because the state doesn't want you losing the percentage of that cash that's ending up as tax money. We've been working on trying to get legislature passed which will remove the "good and substantial reason" clause or even adding self-defense as a reason. The latter is not preferred because it's still up to the MD SP whether or not you'll get your permit.

If I die at the hands of a criminal, or due to law enforcement accidentally raiding my house under a no-knock warrant, my will speicifically states that a press release must be issued that I already prepared, and that the value of my estate should be used to sue the State. I will not die in vain and allow the Brady Campaign to use my death as a statistic for them.

Lol, Bel Aired.
    While the wicked stand confounded, call me with Thy saints surrounded.

(Philadelphia County)

Someone please tell a Mod to let me rep Vette again! And again! and again!

(Adams County)

I can probably confirm Magnum Banana's story. I applied for a carry permit in Maryland because of the number of holdups and shootings occuring on the main drag near my neighborhood, and a screaming vicious telephone call I received because my name is similar to that of the then State's Attorney. I got turned down flat, basically because nobody had caved in my skull yet or crossed the line and made a threat. It's such a pain to have to load and unload in Virginia when I'm traveling south.