Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Computer Question

I know there are a lot more people here who know more than I do about this stuff, so here goes. I have an MP3 player with some music on it. It has come from a couple of different computers, and has been downloaded over a long period of time. According to my understanding, I can put the music on any number of similar devices of my own, although I cannot copy it to another computer, such as my laptop.

Here is my question. The MP3 player has a micro SD slot. Can I move the music from the built in memory to a micro SD card, and then put in into a hand held computer and get it to play? The hand held in question is an HP iPAQ. It is sort of a PDA on steroids, for those who are not familiar with the device. Of course, if you don't know what it is, you probably don't have an answer for me, right?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Computer Question

what brand and model is the MP3 player? Can't do much without knowing that.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

(Montgomery County)

Can't answer specifically to the iPAQ (although I'll ask may neighbor who has one), but (from a purely technical, not necessarily legal/licenses, perspective) you should be able to copy and play straight .mp3's to just about any computer or mobile device that has audio capability.

Most itunes downloads and some .wma files have digital rights management and may be keyed to certain devices/computers.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

Quote Originally Posted by Himni View Post
    what brand and model is the MP3 player? Can't do much without knowing that.
    It is a Sansa Fuze.

Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    Can't answer specifically to the iPAQ (although I'll ask may neighbor who has one), but (from a purely technical, not necessarily legal/licenses, perspective) you should be able to copy and play straight .mp3's to just about any computer or mobile device that has audio capability.

Most itunes downloads and some .wma files have digital rights management and may be keyed to certain devices/computers.
    The MP3 files I have made on my own from old fashioned CDs are not a problem. I have some wma files (I think that is what they are) from Walmart that allow me to put them on any amount of MP3 players, but not computers.

(Allegheny County)

Do you still have the computer you originally downloaded the .wma files to? If you do can you still play them on that computer and can you burn them to a cd?

If you can burn them to a cd so you can play them on any regular cd player I would recommend doing that. Then you can take them off the cd and you can then put it on any number of computers you want.

If you downloaded them from walmart back when they were protecting them you might be out of luck unless you can burn them to cd.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

(Schuylkill County)

First, legally, its YOUR music you purchased (you did buy it, right?) so you can copy it to any device you want. As many times as you want.

Now, if you use a music SERVICE like itunes, v-cast, rhaposidy then they have their own special hell and you must do as they say.

The basics are if you don't sell it or give it away you are good to go. The laws on fair use for personal use have been settled since the early 80s with the betamax/VHS video tape court cases.. one or two went to SCOTUS IIRC.

Most software music stores have either limits on the amount of copies or some way to 'authorize' a device. Like I said, I don't down pay for music to download so I don't know specifics.

Thanks for the responses. I think I've got it figured out.