Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Lightbulb WTB: 50BMG Bolt Rifle

I am in the market for a 50BMG bolt rifle. Something lowend as far as pricerange goes. I have not shot one but would like to try it.

I can pick one up locally for $2200 unfired and without a scope. If someone can make me a better deal let me know. I don't have a problem with a used one as long as it can be safely fired.

I do not plan to shoot competitions, just to go out to the range for a day every once in a while.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: WTB 50BMG Bolt Rifle

I suggest buying the one for $2200... you wont find many deals better than that

And shoot one before buying it.... they aren't a walk in the park kind of gun to be blasting with...

(Montgomery County)

I figured I'd wait a week or 2. Doubt that one will fly out of the store.

I know they're rough to shoot. I shoot my Savage 308 bolt action without any issues, about 300-350rds on a range trip and don't have a problem shooting 50Beowulf or 12GA slugs (2 3/4in) so I am at least somewhat prepapred.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by netw0rkpenguin View Post
    I figured I'd wait a week or 2. Doubt that one will fly out of the store.

I know they're rough to shoot. I shoot my Savage 308 bolt action without any issues, about 300-350rds on a range trip and don't have a problem shooting 50Beowulf or 12GA slugs (2 3/4in) so I am at least somewhat prepapred.
    netw0rk,
    If your not in a big hurry I have a Barett M82A1 and a Barett 95 Bolt. We can try to get together at PGC 127 in the next couple weeks and I'll let you fire them. You will be surprised I'm sure, The recoil is NOT that bad. You get more of a push than anything.

We used to shoot them alot at Water & Wings when they were open and other than the cost it wasn't a problem to shoot 50 or 60 rounds in a day. Even then NO shoulder pain but the cost of hand rolled,A-Max match prepped at $3.25 a shot gets hard on the wallet. Std. Ball ammo is holding at $1.25 to $1.50 a round so it's not to bad.

The biggest thing to remember is to keep your mouth open when you shoot so you don't take the muzzle break blast preasure in the sinus's. Keeping your mouth closed WILL give you a headache from the pressure after a while.
    Armalite has started sending Tylenol packs with thier AR50's

Rich W.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warners Surplus View Post
    The biggest thing to remember is to keep your mouth open when you shoot so you don't take the muzzle break blast preasure in the sinus's. Keeping your mouth closed WILL give you a headache from the pressure after a while.
    Armalite has started sending Tylenol packs with thier AR50's
    Rich W.
    Wow!! What a tip Rich! I guess it makes sense though I never really thought about it. Thanks!

I was at the range a few weeks ago and a guy was shooting a 50 cal 5 or 6 benches down. It didn't seem that bad but I was 5 or 6 benches away. Funny part was he was shooting targets at 100 yds from a bench with a 50 and I was shooting targets at 200 and a hair under 300 from a sitting position with my AR.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Montgomery County)

Thank you Rich. I'll take you up on that.

I was just there this weekend so I'm going to let my wallet recover for about a week or 2 and go up there again.
    I am waiting to resolve a large purchase of green tips or for wally world to get the WWB back in stock. I'd hate to drive 30 min and not even play with my AR.

I don't plan to shoot match, I'll just be feeding it regular ball ammo and whatever milsurp I can scrounge up. If I can fire even 30 to 50 rds every 3 weeks or so I'll be happy. Ideally I'd like to shoot whatever would feel the closest to the rifle I saw in your shop this afternoon.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Holleta View Post
    he was shooting targets at 100 yds from a bench with a 50
    Uhm.. It is my understanding that you can't even understand what the 50bmg is capable of if you shoot it at anything under 800.

If he just wants to shoot a cool looking rifle nice and straight he needs a 243 not a 50BMG.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Holleta View Post
    Wow!! What a tip Rich! I guess it makes sense though I never really thought about it. Thanks!

I was at the range a few weeks ago and a guy was shooting a 50 cal 5 or 6 benches down. It didn't seem that bad but I was 5 or 6 benches away. Funny part was he was shooting targets at 100 yds from a bench with a 50 and I was shooting targets at 200 and a hair under 300 from a sitting position with my AR.
    For some guys the 50 is just a toy. I prefer a minimum of 500yrds if I'm burning match ammo. The big thing with a 50 is the break design, it actually pulls the rifle forward pretty good. Thats why they tend to be hard on lower end scopes, a scope is designed 100% for rearward recoil. The 50's actually push and then pull.

I always liked it at the range when I would try to warn someone at the next bench and they wouldn't listen. It was alway's funny when the Break Blast would clear off thier bench of target and even ammo boxes Yea keeping your mouth open a little really works. I use to get headache's all the time from it and then a fellow shooter told me about keeping your mouth open so your sinus's equalize the pressure. JFYI, that shooter was a women and I thought for sure she was messing with me. She shoots the Barett 99 and I talked to her last week and she just got the M95 in 416 Barett.

Do you shoot at 127?

Thank you Rich. I'll take you up on that.

I was just there this weekend so I'm going to let my wallet recover for about a week or 2 and go up there again.
    I am waiting to resolve a large purchase of green tips or for wally world to get the WWB back in stock. I'd hate to drive 30 min and not even play with my AR.

I don't plan to shoot match, I'll just be feeding it regular ball ammo and whatever milsurp I can scrounge up. If I can fire even 30 to 50 rds every 3 weeks or so I'll be happy. Ideally I'd like to shoot whatever would feel the closest to the rifle I saw in your shop this afternoon.
    Ok, the 95 would be best then. The M82A1 doesn't like full power loads so they are light by about 30gr. of powder and the gun is alot heavier.

I got that Grizzly in the buy out we did so I have working room on the price. So maybe we'll take it up, then you'll know how it will react. I'll put a simmons scope on it, that should last about 5 shots

Rich W.
    Last edited by Warners Surplus; May 30th, 2007 at 08:09 PM.

(Monroe County)

Uhm.. It is my understanding that you can't even understand what the 50bmg is capable of if you shoot it at anything under 800.

If he just wants to shoot a cool looking rifle nice and straight he needs a 243 not a 50BMG.
    Your pretty close.

Actually the 50 BMG round doesn't fully stabalize until around 400 yards so shooting anything under that and it's impossable to see true accuracy of the gun or the round. That's why I try to stay at 500 or more.

It is getting harder and harder to find range's longer than 300 I am fliing to Nevada to shoot with a bunch of guys in July. They shoot 1500 yards in the desert with no worries.

Rich W.

(Montgomery County)

I shoot at 127 if I'm bringing my 308 or teaching first time shooters. A bunch of us go camp at Tobyhanna Friday night, shoot on saturday and just hangout by the campfire.

Sometimes I shoot at Sunset Hill if I want to make sure my beta mag is still ok. I only tolerate paying the $10 for a day to not risk a ticket from the game warden for emptying a 40rd mag. That place was ok when they still had 200yd and rented out the 1919.

I know what you mean about the scopes. I got one of those aimpoint looking ripoffs from HK. I put it on my CX4(in 45ACP) and I was less then a mag into it before it failed and the red dot just dissapeared. I can still make it work sometimes if I twist the switch 180 degrees. I also lost a few lower end scopes menat for a 22lr by putting them on my 308.

When we shoot the 50BMG let me know what you can do about the price of that grizzly. The key is good eye protection, I don't want to get hit by shards of the scope when it flies off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast