Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Howitzer Deer hunting? What idiot does this?

I was searching for a deer hunting video and came across this thing. The first thought that jumped in my head was, what kind of idiot hunts like that? I'm a hunter myself and I think taking a shot with a cannon full of 143 huge bb's(equivalent of a shotgun) at 120 yards isn't very sporting; it's probably quite illegal. Anyway, just thought I'd post this up and see if any of you were also kind of caught off guard and how ya'll felt about it.

http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I was searching for a deer hunting video and came across this thing. The first thought that jumped in my head was, what kind of idiot hunts like that? I'm a hunter myself and I think taking a shot with a cannon full of 143 huge bb's(equivalent of a shotgun) at 120 yards isn't very sporting; it's probably quite illegal. Anyway, just thought I'd post this up and see if any of you were also kind of caught off guard and how ya'll felt about it.

http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm
    Yeah, I've seen that in the past and was not particularly impressed. Might as well just buy RPGs and start blowing them up.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Cambria County)

Besides not being very sporting, If one were to hunt in such a manner, I'm certain that if there were ANY meat at all left on the deer after being hit with that, it would be quite inedible...a total waste of the deer's life for nothing. I MUCH prefer using something in a MUCH smaller caliber so that I can enjoy dining on Bambi...
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

(Philadelphia County)

Jeeezz...
    did you see the picture of the skinned animal??

Looks like they salvaged quite a lot of meat.

Whats next, fishing by artillery?
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Jeeezz...
    did you see the picture of the skinned animal??

Looks like they salvaged quite a lot of meat.

Whats next, fishing by artillery?
    Actually the person who hunts with this canon probably also fishes with dinamite or pickle bottles and baking soda
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Philadelphia County)

tell me more about these pickles and baking soda.....

does it go BOOM???
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

Almost too funny. However if I were the deer I may prefer the yahoo with a cannon over a guy with a scoped .30 06
    Last edited by phillyd2; September 7th, 2006 at 12:27 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    tell me more about these pickles and baking soda.....

does it go BOOM???

indeed it does...er, well, at least in theory it would...not that i've ever done any such thing.

when baking soda is combined with vinegar (or some other acid), it produces gas. if the mixture were to be combined in a confined space (like, oh, i don't know, maybe a closed jar) the pressure created by the expanding gas might just eventually cause the container to rupture...thus producing a BOOM.

it's the same trick kids use to make volcanos erupt for school science projects.

DISCLAIMER: You should never ever do this....only DEA agents who are professional enough to handle a glock forty should do this. Seriously, though, don't send shards of glass flying into your (or others) various body parts. Also, it can take a while for enough gas to be produced to rupture the container...so don't think "it didn't work" and go pick up the container.

(Allegheny County)

My dad told me that he used to fish with a machine gun in WW2.

Just put the bbl a few feet above the water and let it rip.

The shock waves stun the fish. I personally have never tried this as I don't have a machine gun nor would it be legal (I'll have to check the book).

I'll bet the cannon hunter could also use this device to fish with.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Not that I'm saying you should do this, but I've heard of other ways to do this. Like some people putting some jumper cables on a pole while not in the water, and putting them in the water. So that it stuns the fish and they float to the top. I've always heard that if you just throw dry ice into the water, it'll also cause the fish to float up to the top of the water. They say that supposedly it causes a reaction which pulls the oxygen from the water, which then causes the fish to pass out and float to the top of the water. I haven't done my chemistry to see if this is true, and I'm a bit too lazy too right now, but I'll check in on it soon. Anyway, I know this is illegal, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast