Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Police In Wisconsin Steal Flag, Return It After Parade

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news...ide.Down.Flag/

WAUSAU, Wis. — An American flag flown upside down as a protest in a northern Wisconsin village was seized by police before a Fourth of July parade and the businessman who flew it — an Iraq war veteran — claims the officers trespassed and stole his property. A day after the parade, police returned the flag and the man's protest — over a liquor license — continued.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin is considering legal action against the village of Crivitz for violating Vito Congine Jr.'s' First Amendment rights, Executive Director Chris Ahmuty said. "It is not often that you see something this blatant," Ahmuty said. In mid-June, Congine, 46, began flying the flag upside down — an accepted way to signal distress — outside the restaurant he wants to open in Crivitz, a village of about 1,000 people some 65 miles north of Green Bay. He said his distress is likely bankruptcy because the village board refused to grant him a liquor license after he spent nearly $200,000 to buy and remodel a downtown building for an Italian supper club. Congine's upside-down-flag represents distress to him; to others in town, it represents disrespect of the flag. Hours before a Fourth of July parade, four police officers went to Congine's property and removed the flag under the advice of Marinette County District Attorney Allen Brey.

Neighbor Steven Klein watched in disbelief. "I said, 'What are you doing?' Klein said. "They said, 'It is none of your business.'" The next day, police returned the flag. Brey declined comment Friday. Marinette County Sheriff Jim Kanikula said it was not illegal to fly the flag upside down but people were upset and it was the Fourth of July. "It is illegal to cause a disruption," he said. The parade went on without any problems, Kanikula said. Village President John Deschane, 60, an Army veteran who served in Vietnam, said many people in town believe it's disrespectful to fly the flag upside down. "If he wants to protest, let him protest but find a different way to do it," Deschane said. Congine, a Marine veteran who served in Iraq in 2004, said he intends to keep flying the flag upside down. "It is pretty bad when I go and fight a tyrannical government somewhere else," Congine said, "and then I come home to find it right here at my front door."
    Last edited by Evolution; July 10th, 2009 at 10:19 PM.

Default Re: Police In Wisconsin Steal Flag, Return It After Parade

Read that earlier. A stunning government attack on protected political expression. It doesn't matter if they think he is being disrespectful, it doesn't matter if they worry someone will be upset. Government agents are NOT allowed to trespass on private property, steal private property, and silence political speech.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(York County)

I think its bullshit.

(York County)

I read that and could not believe it. Those SOB's say it is OK to burn, damage and do other things to the flag. Yet if you fly it upside down in protest( I know it is a distress signal ) they feel they are allowed to trespass and commit a crime ( theft).
    Boy do they have their wires crossed. I sure hope they get held accountable for commission of a crime.

Hey if they were carrying their sidearms would that be armed robbery?

(Berks County)

If that was me, my flagpole would have steel cable replacing the rope, a length of chain positioned on the cable so it could be padlocked in place once the flag was up, and the absolute biggest flag I could find flying upside down on it with the most powerful spotlights I could get lighting it up.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Bucks County)

i THINK its bullcrap
    "I Don't Miss"

(Lehigh County)

Default Dispute over flag protest erupts in Wisc. village

A.P.:

WAUSAU, Wis. – An American flag flown upside down as a protest in a northern Wisconsin village was seized by police before a Fourth of July parade and the businessman who flew it — an Iraq war veteran — claims the officers trespassed and stole his property.

A day after the parade, police returned the flag and the man's protest — over a liquor license — continued.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin is considering legal action against the village of Crivitz for violating Vito Congine Jr.'s' First Amendment rights, Executive Director Chris Ahmuty said.

"It is not often that you see something this blatant," Ahmuty said.

In mid-June, Congine, 46, began flying the flag upside down — an accepted way to signal distress — outside the restaurant he wants to open in Crivitz, a village of about 1,000 people some 65 miles north of Green Bay.

He said his distress is likely bankruptcy because the village board refused to grant him a liquor license after he spent nearly $200,000 to buy and remodel a downtown building for an Italian supper club.

Congine's upside-down-flag represents distress to him; to others in town, it represents disrespect of the flag.

Hours before a Fourth of July parade, four police officers went to Congine's property and removed the flag under the advice of Marinette County District Attorney Allen Brey.

Neighbor Steven Klein watched in disbelief.

"I said, 'What are you doing?' Klein said. "They said, 'It is none of your business.'"

The next day, police returned the flag.

Brey declined comment Friday.

Marinette County Sheriff Jim Kanikula said it was not illegal to fly the flag upside down but people were upset and it was the Fourth of July.

"It is illegal to cause a disruption," he said.

The parade went on without any problems, Kanikula said.

Village President John Deschane, 60, an Army veteran who served in Vietnam, said many people in town believe it's disrespectful to fly the flag upside down.

"If he wants to protest, let him protest but find a different way to do it," Deschane said.

Congine, a Marine veteran who served in Iraq in 2004, said he intends to keep flying the flag upside down.

"It is pretty bad when I go and fight a tyrannical government somewhere else," Congine said, "and then I come home to find it right here at my front door."

it's illegal to protest if it makes people feel bad, evidently. well, after his mulitmillion dollar lawsuit for blatant violation of his 1st Am rights, he won't need the restaurant, anyway. I also love how an officer told his neighbor it was "none of his business"... seeing as the tax-funded LEO's were willfully violating the law under color of law with the bleesings of everyone in the chain of command.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Luzerne County)

I personally feel that flying the flag upside down IS wrong.... it is used to show distress, not as a political statement, but as to a call for help from some type of danger. HOWEVER, I also feel that the police were totally wrong when they entered his property and removed it...

This one is going to go to court I am sure, and I hope the man wins, but also hope that he realizes how many people disagree with his "statement". Respect the flag and what it stands for, but do not abuse that respect.

(Westmoreland County)

"It's a sign of distress" well...has anyone noticed that this country is in a bit of distress at the moment? Our freedoms are being singled out and executed right in front of us and who would know it better than a veteran. Maybe we should all fly our flags upside down?

I don't like to be made this angry, this early in the morning.

This was a crime - a flat out crime. The cops should be fired and charged with criminal trespass, theft by taking, and more.

Of course, since the DA told them to do it, I doubt anything will come of it, and it will be swept under the rug like most instances of police misconduct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast