Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default What to do with a broken handgun?

I have a Llama IX-I 1911 clone that I recently re-discovered while unpacking some stuff in my garage. A former friend of mine lied to me and told me he was a gunsmith's apprentice and would do me a favor and fit a new mag release for me (the release was slightly too big for the hole in the frame). Well when I got the gun back the hole for the mag release was way too big.

I was wondering what my options were because I no longer want the gun since I cannot put a magazine in it.

Thanks,
    Mike

(Butler County)

Default Re: What to do with a broken handgun?

Use it as a hammer.

I would contact the manufacturer and see if it is beyond hope. If it is, wait until there is a gun buying program and at least you might get some cash for it.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by SFUWombat47 View Post
    I have a Llama IX-I 1911 clone that I recently re-discovered while unpacking some stuff in my garage. A former friend of mine lied to me and told me he was a gunsmith's apprentice and would do me a favor and fit a new mag release for me (the release was slightly too big for the hole in the frame). Well when I got the gun back the hole for the mag release was way too big.

I was wondering what my options were because I no longer want the gun since I cannot put a magazine in it.

Thanks,
    Mike
    your only option is to beat him over the head with your broken gun and take his wallet so you can buy a new one . . . seriously, i would talk to a competent gunsmith. If its an aluminum frame maybe they can alumi-weld the hole and make it the proper size. The worst they can do is say they cant do anything.

On another note: you have guns hidden in your garage that you forgot about??!! What is your address and . . . can you leave your garage open next time you leave?..

(Westmoreland County)

If you want to spend the money, have a good smith weld up the frame and re-cut the hole.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    If you want to spend the money, have a good smith weld up the frame and re-cut the hole.
    Ditto

I was also thinking maybe you could make it a project gun and try and fix it yourself, a cheap route would be JB Weld that can be sanded, cut and formed into whatever.

I wouldn't give up hope yet.

Remember: Friends don't let 'Friends' work on their guns.

At least it was a fairly cheap gun and not something like a P08 Luger or a Colt Python or such.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Jefferson County)

Save all the parts, buy another 1911 receiver, then reassemble a whole gun from the parts that fit. You may need to buy a few extras due to fit.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Save all the parts, buy another 1911 receiver, then reassemble a whole gun from the parts that fit. You may need to buy a few extras due to fit.
    Sounds like this could be a fun project.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post
    At least it was a fairly cheap gun and not something like a P08 Luger or a Colt Python or such.

TJB
    I may not sleep tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    That's the deal but make sure the welder can pass an X-Ray. Just, or just a job he's had to pass one to get hired. I am a welder, well retired..but everyone thinks they are a welder, or a gunsmith....lol...Oh I forgot about them training SWAT
    Last edited by Ronnies111; July 10th, 2009 at 07:58 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Allegheny County)

wait until there is a gun buying program and at least you might get some cash for it
    I really wish I wouldn't read this sort of thing on a gun forum and I'm not singling out the person who said it, because this is not the only time I've seen such a statement.

Gun owners supporting anti-gun programs really leaves me scratching my head. Any time one of these "feel good" programs pops up, they tout it as a success "even if they only take one gun off the streets". PLEASE don't ever consider making a gun "buy back" a success.

Sometimes people say it in jest and other times I don't think they really think it through enough to realize that getting a $50 gift card for a useless gun is actually not a good thing. Not if it's supporting those who would like nothing more than to see us ALL disarmed.

Thanks for listening, and I'm sorry I have no better advice for the OP than what has already been posted.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast