Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Smile Purchasing first handgun...

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site. From what I've read so far in the forums, most of you folks are pretty knowledgeable, so I need some advice, please.

I'm looking to buy my first gun for home defense (due to living in not such a nice area of Allentown) and I'm EXTREMELY interested in the Taurus PT145. Now I know a lot of people will tell me that a shotgun is better for a home defense, but I did not have a good experience with a shotgun when I was in the Navy many years ago. However, I did have an awesome time using a Colt 1911. I've read a bunch of reviews and watched Youtube videos about the PT145, and all of them said it's an excellent gun. I didn't read one bad review. I've already handled the gun at a shop and found it to be very comfortable in my hand. So, what I'd like to know is, does anyone who reads these forums own one? If so, what is your opinion on the matter?

Thanks in advance...and I hope I don't get blasted too much as a newbie.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Purchasing first handgun...

What is your level of experience with firearms?

For more info about Taurus firearms I'd suggest these forums. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php Lots of good information there. Look at lots of manufacturers and if possible rent a few at ranges and fire them.

I have a Taurus 24/7 Pro .45acp. I like it. It's expensive to practice right now though. That's why my Ruger MK III .22lr gets all the range time.

Oh and... Welcome to PAFOA.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Northampton County)

I don't have much experience, so I want to take courses.

Why is it expensive to practice? Ammo costs are high?

Thanks for the welcome!

(Bucks County)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM. you will learn a lot if you continue to stay on the forum and read what others have to think.
    "I Don't Miss"

(Northampton County)

Thanks, Ryan!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by pedaler73 View Post
    I don't have much experience, so I want to take courses.

Why is it expensive to practice? Ammo costs are high?

Thanks for the welcome!
    If you can find .45acp ammo it'll be expensive. I haven't seen a box for sale since last year.

Rep to you for looking into taking classes. I took the NRA Basic Pistol class a while back. It was a good intro class for new shooters. I had a bit of experience but I took it anyway. The instructors recognized my experience and so they taught me things I didn't know. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

If you have the extra money, I'd suggest you buy a .22 pistol as well. That Taurus is gonna kick a helluva lot harder than any 1911. You will likely develop a flinch at it's recoil. I still do sometimes and that's when I pull out the .22 pistol and work on my technique.

I have a Ruger Mk III 22/45. It's grip is angled to match that of a 1911. Alot of people use this pistol for practice. Plus it's much cheaper to feed your pistol .22's rather than .45's.

Well... again... if you can find .22 ammo. I haven't seen any in Walmart for months.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Bucks County)

welcome, Pedaler. it really just comes down to what you're comfortable with shooting.

Try various pistol sizes and calibers, go with what feels right to hold and shoot. Try various guns at the range, and see what kind of grouping you can get in the shots.

Go with the caliber you can comfortably and accurately shoot -> the one you can maintain accuracy/stability with on that second or third round defensive burst.

Any decent caliber will do just fine for home defense, in the hands of a properly educated shooter. 9mm, .45ACP, .380, .357, whatever.. they'll all kill, or at least stop an aggressor just the same. As Yeager used to say, "It's the man, not the machine."

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    If you can find .45acp ammo it'll be expensive. I haven't seen a box for sale since last year.
    at this point, i've found it just easier to just buy in bulk online, there's no shortages there. it's cheaper still too (per round that is, you still have to pay more for a larger quantity)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    If you have the extra money, I'd suggest you buy a .22 pistol as well.
    that's a very good point actually, .22 is (well used to be) cheaper than beer, hehe. You can buy a ton of ammo in that caliber, and play with it all day. Definitely a good way to practice and generally become familiar with firearms.

(Northumberland County)

Taurus makes pretty fine pistols, i own one and it is my everyday carry it was made in 1994 but i bought it brand , i shot every 9mm bullet thru it not one jam or ftf it is pretty accurate for a Taurus. Mine is a PT92C here is a pic of it , i sometimes carry my beretta tomcat around town but my main carry gun is the PT92C. i am thinking about buying another Taurus in the future i shot many handguns not many shot as well as my PT92C. my PT92c has SA or DA with decocker i carry my PT with one in the pipe locked and cocked like a .45

Last edited by TXDMERC73; July 10th, 2009 at 12:39 AM.

If you are new to shooting, a good course is worth the money. I also agree with the other posters on a .22. Great for practice, loads of fun to shoot and your ammo bill won't look like the national debt.

The PT145 looks like a nice carry gun. The smaller and lighter pistols will be a tad harder to shoot accurately at first. They tend to amplify shooting flaws.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast