Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default When will this communistic nightmare end...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/05/....ap/index.html

Obama would tax wealthy to pay for universal health care

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) -- Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama on Tuesday offered a plan to provide health care to millions of Americans and more affordable medical insurance, financed in part by tax increases on the wealthy.

Bemoaning a health care "cost crisis," Obama said it was unacceptable that 47 million in the country are uninsured while others are struggling to pay their medical bills. He said the time is ripe for reforming the health care system despite an inability to do so in the past, most notably when rival Hillary Rodham Clinton pursued major changes during her husband's presidency.

"We can do this," Obama said in a speech in Iowa City at the University of Iowa's medical school. "The climate is far different than it was the last time we tried this in the early nineties."

Obama's plan retains the private insurance system but injects additional money to pay for expanding coverage. Those who can't afford coverage would get a subsidy on a sliding scale depending on their income, and virtually all businesses would have to share in the cost of coverage for their workers.

Obama didn't mention that his plan would cost the federal treasury an estimated $50 billion to $65 billion a year once fully implemented. That information was provided in a memo written by three outside experts and distributed by the campaign after his speech.

The experts also said Obama could pay for his plan mostly through steps that the candidate has already said he would take -- allowing President Bush's tax cuts on dividends and capital gains and on those making more than about $250,000 a year to expire in 2010 instead of acting to make them permanent.

The rest of the $65 billion funding could come by raising taxes on inheritances worth more than $7 million. Many Democrats want to repeal Bush's elimination of taxes on estates worth more than $1 million. Obama wants the exemption to be higher but has not yet said exactly where it should be set.

Obama's proposal would spend more money boosting technology in the health industry such as electronic record-keeping. His package would prohibit insurance companies from refusing coverage because of pre-existing conditions. It would also create a National Health Insurance Exchange to monitor insurance companies and limit their profits. Obama said the typical consumer would save $2,500 a year on premiums.

Obama's first promise as a presidential candidate was that he would sign a universal health care plan into law by the end of his firm term in the White House. But there is some dispute over whether his plan would provide universal care -- it's aimed at lowering costs so all Americans can afford insurance, but does not guarantee everyone would buy it.

"It's not totally clear that it would result in universal coverage," said Ron Pollack, executive director of the advocacy group Families USA. He praised Obama and other leading Democratic candidates for focusing on improving health care.

"What makes it a top national priority now is not simply a sense of sympathy for people who are uninsured but a sense of fear that the coverage that used to be taken for granted can no longer be taken for granted," he said.

Obama aides said they believe that everyone would buy health insurance if it were affordable enough, achieving universal care. If some Americans are still uninsured after a few years into the plan, Obama would reconsider how to get to 100 percent, the advisers said.

That's where he differs with Democratic rival John Edwards, the only other candidate who has laid out a specific plan. Edwards eventually would require every American to get health insurance, much like state requirements that drivers have auto insurance. Obama would only require that children be covered.

Edwards spokesman Mark Kornblau said Edwards' plan, estimated to cost between $90 billion and $120 billion annually, is "truly universal."

"He believes that incremental measures are not enough," Kornblau said. "Any plan that does not cover all Americans is simply inadequate."

In a CNN-Opinion Research poll conducted earlier this month, about two-thirds said the government should provide national health insurance for all Americans, even if it would mean higher taxes.

Clinton has promised universal health care but has yet to provide specifics.
    Ugh, i am just starting to get sick of this. Communism is not the way to fix things. *Note: I provide the link/article For Your Information. Its already clear that none of us would support these actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: When will this communistic nightmare end...

wait a minute...

Who ended up winning the Cold War??
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Berks County)

Default Re: When will this communistic nightmare end...

I wish US legislators would take a REAL look at the issues. Socializing medicine DOESN'T work.

I work for a company with offices all over the world, some in Western Europe where socialized medicine is common. Income taxes are as high as 50% to pay for socialized medicine. And most of the people I work with in these countries claim that the "standard" care is lackluster at best; almost all of them, on top of the oppressive income taxes, still pay for "supplemental" medical insurance.

I don't want to be taxed out the wazoo to pay for someone else's medical care or any other facet of their lives. I don't want to have 50% Income Tax and still have to buy supplemental insurance to get acceptable care.

I'm tired of the argument that continuing to tax the middle class will solve all ills.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas