Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kimber Pro Carry

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and am looking for various opinions/experiences. I bought a Kimber Classic Custom when they first came out. I was hesitant at first, because I really knew nothing about Kimber. It turned out to be a great deal. I have had it for probably 9 years or so. I can only remember one problem. The slide locked back on me once (after firing) with ammo still in the clip. I was extremely impressed with that gun and is still one of my favorites.

But I just recently bought a Kimber Pro Carry (Crimson Trace). And after spending $1,100.00 out the door, I found out that same day that it wasn't feeding well. Sometimes not at all. And sometimes the bullet (Winchester 230 grain JHP) would not seat. And I had it lock back (as the older Kimber did one time) several times. I was told by the dealer that Kimber had tight tolerances and needed 500 rounds put through them and these problems would work themselves out. I couldn't believe it. The reason I bought that gun was because I was so happy with the one I had bought a while ago. I told the dealer that I was sure he was aware of how much ammo costs nowadays. And let him know my displeasure of spending $1,100 on a gun that I would then go out and have to spend another $400 on to find out if, "these problems would work themselves out".

Kimber has ads all over the place, billing them as defense weapons (concealed carry). I plan on carrying and do not want to carry a gun that is not trustworthy. I bought it because it was lighter and had a shorter barrel than my older one.

Sorry for the long story, just to ask if a fellow Pro Carry, or Ultra Carry had had any problems with their Kimber?

I have mixed feelings. I love my older Kimber, but I am upset that no one had announced that I needed to shoot 500 rounds through the new gun so that it would work properly, before I shelled out the cash for it. I had never heard of buying a product that was designed to not work well until you used it a lot. And imagine, this is supposed to be a defense weapon!

I do like to shoot and will put 500 rounds through it. But I wanted to put an ambidextrious safety on it and maybe some tritium sights. But if I have to send it back, I do not want to do anything to it until then. It was not a good buying experience.

Will it get better? Can I depend on it in the future? Should I demand that Kimber take a look at it or trade me for another one?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Kimber Pro Carry

1911s can be fussy with the type of ammo being used.
    And, 1911s do have a "break in period"
    Shoot 500 rounds of FMJ. Then try Pow'R'Ball from Corbon. That hollowpoint works well in 1911s. IF still not a go, send it in with a letter stating you want a new one or a refund.

Why put nite sights on a gun with a laser????
    You do not use the sights when you use the laser. . .

Welcome to the forum!!!

I would say for you to talk to Lycan about you to getting together to tune your 1911, but you live in Kentucky which like me a good ways from PA. I would say wait and shoot some more rounds through it. If it still gives you trouble then talk to Lycan and he can tell you what to do to tune it up. If that still doesnt work (which im sure it will) send it to Kimber with a long frustrating letter and tell them if they want you to continure buying their products and if they dont want a ton of bad reputation spreading about them then give you a new gun.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post
    1911s can be fussy with the type of ammo being used.
    And, 1911s do have a "break in period"
    Shoot 500 rounds of FMJ. Then try Pow'R'Ball from Corbon. That hollowpoint works well in 1911s. IF still not a go, send it in with a letter stating you want a new one or a refund.

Why put nite sights on a gun with a laser????
    You do not use the sights when you use the laser. . .

Welcome to the forum!!!
    Thanks.

"Why put nite sights on a gun with a laser????
    You do not use the sights when you use the laser. . ."

Because it runs on batteries and like I said I plan on carrying it (concealed) in the future. I want to be as proficient as I can with it. If I need the sights, they are there. The laser could also accidentally be turned off when I need it.

Also, I have noticed that I have to look for the laser sometimes at longer ranges. Imagine trying to pick up the laser while aiming at something red at 20-25 yards on a bright day. Probably over thinking it. But I would not bet my life on that laser. It is cool though.

(Lancaster County)

what mags are you useing?I had some feeding problems with my desert warrior till I switched to wilson combat mags.also as already said try different ammo.good luck.crazywolf

S&W 10mm,

Thanks.

I could just send them a copy of my first post. It is long enough.

I have a friend who has shot my Classic and he's listened to me brag on it for near a decade. He recently put money down on an ultra carry and he was about to go tell the dealer that he wanted his money back after I told him the trouble I went through with this last one. I explained to him that it could have been a fluke. I don't want to talk him out of it. Or let him buy one without knowing the potential problems, either. I don't know if he will back out of it or not. But their reputation can be hurt with every faulty gun on the market and every dealer who is not up front about the tolerances of the gun before the purchase.

Crazywolf,

I have the one that came with the gun and a Chip McCormick.

I couldn't tell any difference.

Corbon sounds familiar. But I have never heard of Pow'R'ball.

I'll have to try it.

(Westmoreland County)

Did you clean it and oil/grease it well before taking it to the range. Kimbers have extremely tight tolerances and run best "wet". Most tight 1911's, especially Kimber's, benefit from a break-in period... Kimber's owners manual suggests 500 rounds. Hand cycling works pretty good as well.

As far as the slide locking back prematurely, it may be a slide stop issue. Kimber's are notorious for this. They will send you a new one free of charge that has been altered, which should stop this (sent in about 4-5 days).

Regarding Kimber magazines, I opted to not use the original in my Pro Carry II because of the devel type follower, which without a skirted front, can dive forward and gouge the feed ramp. I only used Wilson Combat ETMs and Kimber's KimPro Tac magazines. I was lucky, my Kimber never had a problem right out of the box. Good Luck.

(Wayne County)

Talking Re: Kimber Pro Carry

Short barreled 1911s are notorious for being finicky with ammo. Try Wilson Combat mags and Remington Golden Saber ammo

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Short barreled 1911s are notorious for being finicky with ammo. Try Wilson Combat mags and Remington Golden Saber ammo
    mostly the 3" models...not so much the commander size.

I have an HD II that i got used that was shot very little.( i know the story behind it, blah blah blah) I've probably put at least 500 rounds through it and the only times I've had any sort of malfunction was,
    A. Magazine (cheap govt. contract one)
    B. Installed and tried a recoil buffer
    C. Ammo, Hornady 230 gr. +p tap wouldn't go into battery consistently

It could very well be a bad slide stop, as mentioned before. they get through Q.C. sometimes so you should probably call em and get one sent out to you.

My advice you should try the following,
    a Wilson 47D magazine.
    keep it wet.
    shoot the shit out of it.
    new recoil spring.

a new spring can cure all that ales you.

good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast