Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 7.62 Handgun

(Lackawanna County)

Default 7.62 Handgun

My buddy is gonna trade in his xd 9mim subcompact for a I believe a norinco 7.62 handgun...i was wondering how they are to shoot and would it be good as a defensive pistol...just an overall review of a gun like that

(York County)

Default Re: 7.62 Handgun

sounds like he is getting a type 54 tokarev that is a copy of the russian TT33 design. if so, it will be cheap to shoot as surplus is 8-12 cents a pop. it will have hellish velocities on the order of 1500 fps, and will have hellish overpenetration in any environment unless he shoots through a few walls before the bullet hits target.

it will have very poor "knockdown" power, as the 30 cal bullet weighs about 86 grains, is hardball and will not expand at all. on the positive side, this gun will shoot through a kevlar helmet at 50 metres or a class 2 vest at 25 metres, so if he is being burgled by rouge servicemen and cops...this gun was designed for killing krauts on a battlefield, plain and simple.

it was not designed for home defense, but will conceal carry better than most full sized autos. the butt is slim due to the 8 round mag capacity. it will, however, punch nice holes through windshields and sheet metal to stop a driver in a car if one tries to run you down.

that being said, they are fun guns to shoot, and i have two. i shot one of them on sunday. it was a blast at twilight.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    sounds like he is getting a type 54 tokarev that is a copy of the russian TT33 design. if so, it will be cheap to shoot as surplus is 8-12 cents a pop. it will have hellish velocities on the order of 1500 fps, and will have hellish overpenetration in any environment unless he shoots through a few walls before the bullet hits target.

it will have very poor "knockdown" power, as the 30 cal bullet weighs about 86 grains, is hardball and will not expand at all. on the positive side, this gun will shoot through a kevlar helmet at 50 metres or a class 2 vest at 25 metres, so if he is being burgled by rouge servicemen and cops...this gun was designed for killing krauts on a battlefield, plain and simple.

it was not designed for home defense, but will conceal carry better than most full sized autos. the butt is slim due to the 8 round mag capacity. it will, however, punch nice holes through windshields and sheet metal to stop a driver in a car if one tries to run you down.

that being said, they are fun guns to shoot, and i have two. i shot one of them on sunday. it was a blast at twilight.
    Agree with justashooter that the Tokarev pistol (and the CZ-52 which fires the same round) are fun to shoot. I wouldn't trade an XD for one, though...you can get a TT-33 for around $200, CZ-52s used to be quite a bit cheaper (got mine for $150 a while back and havent' priced them recently.) Plus, the sights on the Tok and the CZ-52 or pretty minimal -- what you'd expect on a milsurp pistol from the WWII-Cold War era. They ARE fun though, and ammo is inexpensive and readily available.

(Wayne County)

Thanks for the info guys, It was actually my xd. I still have it now, and will probably just sell it out right. Then I could get the tt33 and a little 38. Nice.
    As a side note, don't worry gentlemen I doubt I will encounter anything other than some vicious microwaves with the tt33.