Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Recommend an archery only tree stand please

The criteria:

Must be a climber
    Must be as light as possible and pack well
    Must be well suited for archery. In fact if it's only good for archery all the better.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Recommend an archery only tree stand please

in my humble opinion Summit is the best, by far.

They are strong, reliable, and extremely comfortable.

For archery its impossible to beat the sit/stand climbers that have a folding front bar, they give the best of all worlds, you can leave the front bar up to shoot rifle with a rest if chosen, for archery you can lower it and have an open front.

the Razor SS is their current underfolder - weighs in around 20 pounds. dunno if that is to heavy for you or not
    Last edited by Dredly; July 8th, 2009 at 01:45 PM.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    in my humble opinion Summit is the best, by far.

They are strong, reliable, and extremely comfortable.

For archery its impossible to beat the sit/stand climbers that have a folding front bar, they give the best of all worlds, you can leave the front bar up to shoot rifle with a rest if chosen, for archery you can lower it and have an open front.

I'd rather not have a stand that works for multiple seasons. The price to pay is weight. I've used a Warren&Sweat for close to 20yrs, and I'm just tired of lugging around weight I don't need. I’m not as young as I use to be.

Do you know anyone that uses an Open Shot or similar type stand?
    FUCK BIDEN

(Monroe County)

I don't, it is several pounds lighter, but doesn't look nearly as comfortable for long time sits, I've actually fallen asleep in the stand several times because of how comfy it is.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Perry County)

Summit makes several types of climber stands, including open-front stands primarily geared toward archery (I believe). They are somewhat lighter than the more equipped stands with the front bar... I borrowed a friend's stand like this and liked it, although I'm afraid of heights and think I'll feel much more comfortable with the bar in front of me.

This year at the Eastern Sports and Outdoors show in Harrisburg I bought a Treekwalker Treestand. They are about the same weight as comparable Summitt models, but they have much larger platforms, nicer seats, and several other design features that are quite nice. They make an open-front model that is only 1 lb heavier than the Summit Openshot, which is viewable here: http://www.treewalkertreestands.com/...ss&r3=chillpad
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

I'd say closer to 5lb's. That quite a lot IMO.

I'm not too concerned about comfort. I rarely archery hunt longer than 4-5hrs. I generally stand the entire time and sit 10 minutes here and there.

Thanks for the opinions though.

Is the rest removable?
    FUCK BIDEN

(Allegheny County)

go with a Summit Razor stand, open front design, light weight, 17#s, easy to use and climb with, very quiet setup/takedown, extremely comfortable to hunt out of.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I'd say closer to 5lb's. That quite a lot IMO.

I'm not too concerned about comfort. I rarely archery hunt longer than 4-5hrs. I generally stand the entire time and sit 10 minutes here and there.

Thanks for the opinions though.

Is the rest removable?
    I'm not sure where you got the 5 lbs from - the Summit open-front stand is listed as 15 lbs on their site, and the Treewalker open-front stand (ProMag SL) is listed as 15 lbs on their site. The more "delux" models seem to go 20 lbs for the Summit Viper and 19 lbs for the Treewalker ProMag XL...

Referring to the Treewalker, the front rest is removable on some models, but the other model has a solid bar on the front. The 15lb model, the ProMag SL, does not appear to come with the front bar at all... Not all of the models come with the shooting rest, and for those that do come with it, yes it is removable by just pulling 2 pins on each side. One of the things I liked about the Treewalker stands, in addition to a few of the design features making for easier setup than the Summit and other similar stands, was the fact that they're made by a father-son company - the kid in the photos on the website was the guy I bought the stand off of...

I'm not trying to "push" these stands or anything, and I'm not affiliated with the company in any way so I hope this doesn't come off as a sales pitch. Just trying to give some info on a little-known company with top-notch customer service...

(Perry County)

Another great thing about the Treewalker stands, is that when you put the 2 pieces together for packing into/out of the woods, they lock together and don't rattle at all. You can hold the stand assembled for packing by one piece and shake them around and they don't rattle AT ALL, and they don't come apart. Since the platform and seat are larger than most other stands, they are a little bit bulkier to carry than some others though.

Quote Originally Posted by imp81318 View Post
    I'm not sure where you got the 5 lbs from - the Summit open-front stand is listed as 15 lbs on their site

Sorry I was referring to Dredlies post prior to your.

You snuck your post in while I was typing.

My fault for not quoting his post.

All comments welcome
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast