Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Carry .380 Recommendation

All . . . .I am looking for a handgun that I can carry with out a lot of recoil. I like the size of the .38 sp. However, I shot several .38 S&W relovers - 642 model and 360 Airlite handguns and they had (for me) a lot of recoil.

I shot the Ruger LCP (9 oz) semi-auto and did not that pistol very much.

What .380 handgun do you recommend that does not have a lot of recoil? I have not tried a semi-auto .380 yet that weighed 18 or 20 oz. Would that make a difference??

Thanks for your help

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Carry .380 Recommendation

You will find out that most .380acp guns recoil more than 9mm guns due to the blow-back operation and lightweight.

The .380acp is relatively the same in power/energy as a standard .38spl, and if the .380acp's gun weighs less - guess what, it will recoil more.

The Kel-Tec .380 and maybe the new Ruger might offer slightly less recoil than the typical .380acp handgun. I think both of them use a modified Browning delayed/lockup design.

If you go light-weight, you will have to deal with more recoil. Mass of the gun is only second behind the power of the cartridge when determining recoil.
    Last edited by knight0334; July 8th, 2009 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo. my apologies to thy Lord JMB.

(Philadelphia County)

With that small of a platform the heavier the gun the less recoil you'll feel. It's a direct tradeoff in smaller guns. Maybe a small revolver that isn't a lightweight model might fit the bill? If recoil is an issue I would suggest trying a heavier pistol instead of looking for some (probably non-existent or less effective) weak load.

(Schuylkill County)

SIG Sauer P232 best 380acp ever made and one of the finest pistols ever built. or the new SIG Sauer P238 kindof a 1911 but not really more like the old Colt Mustang. I've never been a fan of tiny pistols, except the Seecamp 32acp, they do make a 380 also. but the P232 is a bit bigger then smoe of the supper small guns and is just a fantastic peice, a bit pricey though.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You will find out that most .380acp guns recoil more than 9mm guns due to the blow-back operation and lightweight.

The .380acp is relatively the same in power/energy as a standard .38spl, and if the .380acp's gun weighs less - guess what, it will recoil more.

The Kel-Tec .380 and maybe the new Ruger might offer slightly less recoil than the typical .380acp handgun. I think both of them use a modified Brown delayed/lockup design.

If you go light-weight, you will have to deal with more recoil. Mass of the gun is only second behind the power of the cartridge when determining recoil.
    Both are locked breech and I am always surprised when someone is intimidated by their recoil. I find it snappy sure, but it is a gun, and very easily controlled. In fact I like it.. IMHO they are far less snappy than a .38 snub.

go sig
    better yet get a walther PPK/S interarms import NOT a S&W remake,they can be found in good condition

sprat
    Packing.org,Deloc,Open carry,Florida Carry Concealed,LFI Graduate

Have you tried 130grain with the airweight?
    I find them much more pleasurable than the 158gr.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Schuylkill County)

I fired a Bersa Thunder 380 this past weekend. It had an aluminum frame and steel slide, so it was light, but it was big enough to grip. The recoil spring must have been really strong on it because it had less recoil than my Walther PP in .32! Google this gun and you'll see an great number of range reports on it's quality, accuracy, and low recoil. And, for around $250, you can't beat it! My friend carries one all the time and loves it.

I love my LCP because it's so small, no one ever notices it. Yes, the recoil really gets you but it's a not a range gun, it's a self-defense gun you will probably never need to use. Both the LCP and Bersa had the same accuracy. I was firing at a shale hill, trying to hit a target 150 yards away, and both .380's had about a 10' drop at that distance. Compensating for bullet drop, I was able to put rounds within 5' of my target with the LCP and 15' of my target with the Bersa. I'll take the LCP over the Bersa just in case one of those evil assault-rifle wielding crazies ever shoots at me from down the street.

(Delaware County)

I carry a Walther PPK and love it ! I have 3500 rounds through it with no issues. I carry it as a back up to my Glock 19.(I subscribe to capacity over size) It's been so long since I shot my 38 side by side, I'd have to do it to see what the difference is.

I would assume the 380 auto would be a less jump. Have you fired a .32?
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

I carry a Colt Mustang Plus II .380acp, very lightweight, small, easy to conceal and not much of a recoil. They are pretty hard to find, but are great guns. If you find one, be sure to replace the the plastic guide rod with a metal one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast