Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default is this a good deal?

hey guys - i have a guy who wants to sell me his used mossberg 500 12ga. for 250.00 - it looks like it's in decent shape (needs a good cleaning). it comes with a 16" barrel, pistol grip, 28" barrel and regular stock - is this worth the price?

thanks,
    D

Default Re: is this a good deal?

Quote Originally Posted by dwhite725 View Post
    hey guys - i have a guy who wants to sell me his used mossberg 500 12ga. for 250.00 - it looks like it's in decent shape (needs a good cleaning). it comes with a 16" barrel, pistol grip, 28" barrel and regular stock - is this worth the price?

thanks,
    D
    For a plain-jane 500, it's fair at best especially if it's been neglected. I paid $300 for my 590 (new), which is the quasi-military version. For $250, I'd look for a new 500, or a decent Remington 870.

BTW, here's the manual:
    http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR...ssberg_500.pdf

Also be advised that installing the pistol grip & shorter barrel changes it's legal status in PA...I think it's in the same category as a handgun. The litmus test is if the overall length drops down under 26 inches.

What's up with posting the same thread in different forums? You should PM a mod and ask them to delete one of your threads.

(Montgomery County)

sounds like a "combo gun" package, or the guy got a pistolgrip and spare barrel.
    if it was a combogun package, its not considered a handgun, as the gun comes with a buttstock.

speaking of length tho, actually, the litmus test here is *if the barrel is under 18" OR the overall length is under 26" *

I hope that barrel is not 16", and rather is 18", 16" would be an unregistered short barrel shotgun....and NOT a good deal at all, to the tune of crime punishable by 10yrs/$250,000 fine (not that folks ever get the max)

18" min barrel length for shotguns
    16" min barrel length for rifles.

if its 18", then it's an "ok" deal if all it needs is a good cleaning, if its scratched up and rusted, or such, it's not a good deal.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Lancaster County)

You can pick up a new or like new 870 for about that, maybe a little more. I got mine for 300 with about a box of shells through it, also in excellent condition. I put the first scratch on it!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289