Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Americans Arm Themselves

Americans Arm Themselves Fearing New Gun Laws: Poll
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:43 PM
    By: Dave Eberhart

Fifty-seven percent of Americans say gun sales are up in the United States not because of the fear of crime but because of wariness over increased government restriction on gun ownership, according to a new Rasmussen survey.

The latest poll revealed that 43 percent of Americans said it was very likely that the Obama Administration will try to implement stricter gun control laws – even though 47 percent saw no need for such laws.

Another 28 percent responded that the administration was “somewhat likely” to seek tougher gun control.

In a similar Rasmussen poll conducted in May, 43 percent of Americans said
    the United States needed more gun control laws, while 47 percent disagreed.

The new national telephone survey indicated that just 23 percent say gun sales have risen because of a fear of increased crime.

In other findings:

Sixty-three percent of men say the threat of more gun control is behind increased sales, compared to 51 percent of women.

Fifty-nine percent of whites agree, while African-Americans are more closely divided on the question.

Sixty-five percent of Republicans and 66 percent of those not affiliated with either major political party say gun sales are up due to a fear of increased government restriction. Meanwhile, a plurality of Democrats agrees by just 10 points.

Seventy-one percent of Americans believe it is at least somewhat likely that President Obama will seek tougher gun control laws - including that 43 percent who say it is very likely.

In a separate survey, 32 percent said crime had increased in their communities in the past year, and 72 percent of those impacted said it was very likely that increase was related to the bad economy.

Only 20 percent of U.S. voters think restricting U.S. gun sales will reduce drug-related violence in Mexico, and 70 percent disagree and oppose such restrictions.

Seventy-five percent of Americans believe the U.S. Constitution guarantees the right of an average citizen to own a gun.

newsmax

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Americans Arm Themselves

100% correct. I am 37 years old an never owned gun in my life. I always figured I would get around to it sooner or later. Now with a Democrat President and Congress I realized that I may not never see the opportunity to own guns if I don't act now. In the past three months I have been rushing to buy property and build a house in PA so I can establish residency and get enjoy my 2nd amendment right before the Democrats flush the Bill of Rights down the toilet.

So we are not just talking about people rushing to buy guns... we are talking about major asset moves to be in the right place to buy those guns. This has taken top priority. I have even reduced my work hours to make this happen quicker.
    Last edited by tsafa; October 31st, 2009 at 01:01 AM.

(Northampton County)

We are happy to have you, welcome

(Schuylkill County)

I bought my first gun when Clinton was President for these same reasons. Sure enough, he instituted a ban. It is looking less and less likely that Obama will have the ability to push anything through Congress let alone a bill that 75+% of the population does not want.

(Monroe County)

Ungawa - Thanks for the welcome

Coops - I was not in a financial position make any big moves when Clinton was in office. I wonder though... how did Clinton manage to get the ban through congress? I thought Republicans where in control of the congress when Clinton was in office. I would expect Obama to have an easier time then Clinton.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by tsafa View Post

Coops - I was not in a financial position make any big moves when Clinton was in office. I wonder though... how did Clinton manage to get the ban through congress? I thought Republicans where in control of the congress when Clinton was in office. I would expect Obama to have an easier time then Clinton.
    the Dem's had control till the election following the ban IIRC at which point a very irate public changed that

but don't quote me on that, was still a bit on the young side that far back

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by tsafa View Post

The Congress was heavily Democrat during Clinton's first term. The Senate flipped to the right in 1995 and the Dems lost about 50 seats in the House at Clinton's midterm and he moved to the right as well. We can only hope history repeats.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    The Congress was heavily Democrat during Clinton's first term. The Senate flipped to the right in 1995 and the Dems lost about 50 seats in the House at Clinton's midterm and he moved to the right as well. We can only hope history repeats.
    I think the populace is more aware of current happenings as well as each other this time around as well. The internet is much more prevalent now than it was in '94.

(Monroe County)

I'm a pretty one issue voter and I always vote pro-2nd amendment (Republicans). I do hope that the Republicans are able to make a stronger appeal the more general public though who may not have the 2nd amendment at the top of their priority list.

(Chester County)

When I first moved here (the US) this summer, my wife and I went to the local gun range to shoot some 9mms. We shot two of them, a Ruger SR9 and a S&W M&P. I told the guy I that we liked the Ruger and it said it's a good job because he can't get hold of any of the S&W. I asked him why and he said words to the effect of that within 6 months, the country will run out of handguns. I again asked him why and he looked me straight in the eye and said; it's a Democrat thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast