Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: ammo storage

Default ammo storage

ok so i am starting a little stock pile and i was wondering if while storing my ammo in ammo cans if i should keep it in the factory boxes or if i could empty them into the can.. this is for longterm storage and i want to get as much in the can as i can... thanks

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: ammo storage

95% of my ammo is stored in ammo cans.

The other 5% is kept in the 50rd semi-clear plastic MTM cases. These are what I grab first when heading to the range.

The only factory ammo I have is about 2k rounds .223 Wolf MC, but I still pulled all the rounds from their boxes and put them in the ammo can.

Depends what you want. Keeping the ammo in the boxes will add a later of protection (from bumps, drops, banging around, etc) but will also cut into the number of rounds per can.

(Washington County)

I do keep the ammo in factory boxes I just have more ammo cans. This way if I need to ammo for a range trip i just grab a few boxes and though them in my range bag. Also since I keep the ammo in the boxes I can store multiple calibers and brands of ammo together without worry of mixing them up. If I was not storing ammo in boxes I would need actually need more cans as I would not put ammo of different calibers together.

I also see the benefits of storing the ammo lose in the can. More potential ammo in each can.

(Tioga County)

All my pistol rounds are in boxes either MTM or factory then placed into ammo cans. Rifle rounds either stripper strips, MTM or factory boxes then into ammo cans.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

I haven't gotten really fussy about storage, I just keep buying more ammo-cans.

Only in the last year since I have been loading truly massive amounts of 9mm have I just dumped them LOOSE into a can. If it is all the same caliber and load, why not? It makes (storage) sense. I used to put them in individual, 50-rd boxes - well I still do for all the other pistol calibers.

.223 goes on stripper clips, (the Mini-13 CAN be persuaded to accept them that way).

Likewise ,30 Carbine on stripper clips.

I do keep only one caliber in any can, anymore, except 25ACP and 32ACP can peacefully coexist, as they are so few in number.

Oh, yeah. Reloads in cans separate from factory-fodder.

Flash

(Philadelphia County)

Throw a few of these in your ammo boxs.
    http://www.silicagelpackets.com/sili...ket-tyvek.html

(Northumberland County)

i keep all my ammo in the factory boxes till they start to fall apart then i put them in the new factory boxes, i tend to keep some of the empty factory boxes in case my other ones get damages. this protects the ammo from being dented and scratched up. i wouldnt trust dumping all my ammo in a storage .50 cal ammo can , i am very fussy about the ammo i put in my guns i like to have "perfect ammo".

IMO if you are storing the same mfg. and weight than I don't see an issue with loose storage.

My only exception would be steel cased ammo. Particularly the polymer coated. It appears that the polymer coating is very thin and I could see the casings becoming easily scratched and possibly corroding over time. Just a hunch though.
    FUCK BIDEN