Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default seriously why does everyone favor sporting good discounter?

Ok listen I am not trying to start a fight with anyone...
    .........With that said why does every one favor Sporting Good Discounters I mean I have been to the store many of many time....But I tend to find the place a rip off I personally like to shop at hoover's out in somerset county or dwn at the juniata trading post or bob's army navy in clearfield ok I will put this simple on my 21st birthday I went to denny's(sporting good discounters) looking to buy a side arm for myself for my birthday I went in knowing what I wanted and I even found one I wanted to buy but after standing there waiting for over 30mins(note there was 2 ppl behind the counter no one on the phone and 1 other guy looking at holisters(if u been there u know they are not behind the counter) I decided to leave when I got home I was talking to my dad and he said well go back which I refused cause if they want mymoney I feel they should atleast show some respect and ask if I was in need of assistance(am I wrong in that?) So I let it go for a couple days and I was talkin to my dad and some ofe his friends and the one gentleman stated why don't I put $10 in my car goto hoovers and save some money and get treated with respect u know what I did I went down there and with in second of walking in the door I was greeted and told someone would be with me asap(this store actually had multiple customers) sure enough I was tended to and I spoke with the gentlman told him what I was looking 4 and he pulled a selection of sidearms to show me.so I looked them over talked with the workers and found a couple I did like so I got the prices and asked for a minute called my father and asked his opinion and he told me to call other places and get prices to compare(due to I really didn't want to get ripped off and this was a big deal to me it was the first weapon I was buying on my own) so I called up everyones favorit sporting good discounters and I forgot some the models so I went in and (still on the phone with sgd in front of the ppl who worked at hoover's) asked for pen and paper and aske the make and models of the side arms I was looking at and got price comparison and I will tell you what I was happy I put that $10 in my tank cause on every weapon I looked at hoover's was $50-$100 cheaper. So long story short I bought 2 sidearms in the same day basically I bought a brand new hi point 9mm out the door tax and everything including a box of shell for $109 and some spare change and I put a rifle on lay away!!! That's story one.
    Story 2 I went out to buy a smaller frame pistol to take for traveling so I decided on a 380 we was coming threw bedford coming home from work so me and my buddy stoppe at"Juneata trading post. We walked and once again greeted immediatley. I talked to a gentleman and once again told them what I was looking for and again shown a selection and got prices told the guy thank you and I would probally be back on payday so off I went couple day later I was shopping with the X at giant eagle and decided I would peak into sporting good discounters and look around. I went in once again not greeted and stood there waiting so I asked 4 help to the guy what I wanted and his reply was "that is garbage why you want that how bout one of these instead" with that I turned and headed for the door ( I mean come on I was actually thinking of buyin there since. It was close and if the price was right I had it in my pocket so who was he to tell me what I wanted was junk and then tried to push me onto a more exspensive gun I mean if that what I wanted that what I would of said I wanted) when my X cam out from shopping. We took the groceries home and put them away and I went right back out the door and went to juneata trading post when I walked in I was greeted once again I arrived at the counter and it was the same guy there and his first words was "so did u decide u wanted the gun or u want to check something else out" and I told him I would take it and with out me reminding him he reached in and grabbed it (now that's service where someone remembers u and what you want with out being reminded) so I bought the gun and stood there shooting the breeze and he ended up giving me a heck of a deal on ammo!!

I mean I can go on and on bout my experiences at sporting good discounters over the last 2yrs but I think I have done good enough I mean I aint tryib to blast ne one and I will admit that the last time I went into denny's I was treated better and the staff seemed more personable but I don't know if it me or what but I am just not a fan of sporting good discounters but if you are and have good exsperances congrat but if u want other choices since sgd is the only place in johnstown to realy buy a gun unless u got the money to drop at gander seriously check out hoover's or the trading post or bob army navy I mean u might spend 10-20 in gas but u might just be pleasantly suprised in what u save on your sidearm

(Cambria County)

Default Re: seriously why does everyone favor sporting good discounter?

Sorry to all the readers for the length and the multiple typos but it been a long day and I was tired please pardon my mistakes!!!

Spaces between paragraphs would greatly help also

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Spaces between paragraphs would greatly help also
    Agreed. I stopped after the first sentence. I am sorry. I go bug eyed on some post.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Mercer County)

I'm not reading that, either. Talk about a train wreck!

(Cambria County)

I read it.

First, please try to make it reader friendly from now on. Get to the point and break it up some so it isn't a big mess.

Where is Hoover's? I have never heard of them. They got a website?

I have been happy with SGD for many years. They have a very large selection of firearms. And compared to anyplace else I go, the prices are fair.

Customer service that I get there is what I really like. Sound like you didn't get any. Sorry to hear that. I do know they like to talk. And that is one nice thing, yet a bad thing. They can get carried away gabbing up a storm and not get to customers as quick as they should. But if your a regular, you usually just end up joining into the conversation, and making people like you wait even more. Sorry about that.

The nice selection of firearms is what I like. They probably have it if you want it, when I want it, and if they don't, Doug gets on the phone right then, and lets me know when they can have it in the store by.

(Note how my response is broken up in to smaller paragraphs. This helps others to read it more effectively.)
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Somerset County)

Another SGD fan here ... they do get into talking but that's part of why I like the shop. They made it a point to get to know both me and my wife and welcome us each time we visit. I've special ordered items and bought large ticket (AR) items there without problems. Doug even helped my wife with a gift purchase for me. (I've got to thank him next time I'm in!)

I have been to Hoover's as well and was not as impressed. The selection didn't seem as good, although the service was ok. Mtbkski, Hoover's is in Rockwood.

(Somerset County)

I've bought a Glock and a Saiga from Sporting Goods Discounters, and from what I've seen browsing in other shops, their prices were as good or better than anywhere else. Plus when buying they were very helpful in explaining the firearms operation, etc. And they have always taken care of me within a couple of minutes of my arrival.

A lot of guys here locally do like Hoover's and I did buy a Kel-Tec there a couple years ago, but in my experience if there is even one other customer in the store, you're in for a wait.
    NRA Benefactor

(Allegheny County)

As a J-Town native, and someone who's heard nothing but praise for them, I was interested in hearing another point of view, but alas, as has already been pointed out, too hard to read.

If there are no paragraphs,(even if they aren't "proper" paragraphs)I won't even try to read it.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Cambria County)

Ok sorry to everyone who had to read my jumbled mess. I was trying to post using my phone and guess it did not turn out good.
    So I will try to get it straightened out or try to limit my post from my computer.
    Once again sorry bout the mess and honestly I am trying this is still my first week with this site and trying to post!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast