Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Chester County)

Default Re: What about the Robinson XCR?

Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    IMO.....this is a huge drawback....especially when one considers it's a small company that might not be hear in a few years. The only way I would have one is if I was powerball rich. That way an 1800.00$ wall decoration would not bother me so much.

I'm not a huge AR fan....they're OK...I have 2....but parts for them are abundant.
    Yes, potentially an issue. Some of the parts are AR compatible though, but maybe not the important ones. However, I think that buying 1 or two spare parts of everything would largely make this a moot point.

So here is what I have been wondering. Why get a heavy barrel for 5.56?

900 seems extremely well priced. Where do these usually pop up for purchase on the internet?

We could do a shoot Schmol, where do you shoot at? I can provide the AK.

EDIT: Actually, if I can find more info on the 7.62x39 version that might be the ticket. If it can post significantly improved accuracy info over an AK then I might be in, but I don't know how much more a 7.62x39 round can get.
    Last edited by Jackal; February 25th, 2010 at 02:50 PM.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Northampton County)

EDIT: Actually, if I can find more info on the 7.62x39 version that might be the ticket. If it can post significantly improved accuracy info over an AK then I might be in, but I don't know how much more a 7.62x39 round can get.
    As far as I know this rifle,though a 7.62x39...does not use AK mags. I understand Robinson has their own mag for this gun. That would be a turn off for me. I like commonality...I own AKs & AK mags are everywhere & moderatly priced. Aside from not holding the bolt open after the last shot...AK mags have been working just fine for around 63 years.

(Bucks County)

I like my XCR-L which I picked up here on the forums. I had some issues which where probably more me then the XCR when I first got it and they ( Robinson ) took care of my problem and updated some my parts in the process which was awesome .There technical customer service person Terra is great. Now on the other hand I ordered some spare parts and the updated trigger in the beginning of December and I am still waiting for them. Every time I contact the Sales person she keeps telling me it will ship this week this has been going on for a few weeks now and it is getting old.
    Just some food for Thought.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    As far as I know this rifle,though a 7.62x39...does not use AK mags. I understand Robinson has their own mag for this gun. That would be a turn off for me. I like commonality...I own AKs & AK mags are everywhere & moderatly priced. Aside from not holding the bolt open after the last shot...AK mags have been working just fine for around 63 years.
    Yes, you are right. This is a huge turnoff for me. The standard AK mags have no way of fitting due to the AR design of the magwell. Possibly a 20ish round mag would work, but it has not thus far been designed.

Their solution? Have a 30 round mag built that fits into the AR magwell. Result, substantial performance failures. I believe they are on their 3rd generation of this mag (made by C-Mags) and people still have problems.

Great idea to include 7.62x39 in the caliber options but horrible idea to introduce your own mag. Some people say that 7.62x39 conversions to the AR platform will make a new AR style 7.62x39 mag common but I doubt it.

Bottom line is the curvature required to have a 30 round 7.62 mag is nothing less than the current combloc designs. So c-mags solution was to make something that has a sharp bend in it. Its just another problem.

A modern 7.62x39 MUST take AK mags, must. As far as I know only the Bushmaster acr has that ability but its also around $3000.

It sucks really, I was very interested in that 7.62 version.

(Delaware County)

John Farnam runs an XCR in 7.62x39mm. The last I read from him, he liked it.

John Farnam's Quips. There were a few XCR quips in 2009.

I'm still on the fence about the XCR. If it were made by a bigger company, I might already have one. Hopefully, there will be some head-to-head ACR, XCR, SCAR tests soon (yeah, alphabet soup).
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclesteel View Post
    I like my XCR-L which I picked up here on the forums. I had some issues which where probably more me then the XCR when I first got it and they ( Robinson ) took care of my problem and updated some my parts in the process which was awesome .There technical customer service person Terra is great. Now on the other hand I ordered some spare parts and the updated trigger in the beginning of December and I am still waiting for them. Every time I contact the Sales person she keeps telling me it will ship this week this has been going on for a few weeks now and it is getting old.
    Just some food for Thought.
    When you get that trigger upgrade, let me know how you like it as I am consider getting it as well...

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    I'm still on the fence about the XCR. If it were made by a bigger company, I might already have one. Hopefully, there will be some head-to-head ACR, XCR, SCAR tests soon (yeah, alphabet soup).
    Same here. I like the idea, the style, and the caliber variety of the platform, but I'm leery of ordering a "hard use" rifle from a small company. They just aren't common enough yet.
    Oath Keeper, MMIX - Ad Infinitum

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post

If it were made by a bigger company, I might already have one.
    Thats kind of what I like about it. Its kind of a niche gun, like Krebs or something similar. The acr is too expensive as I'm sure the scar will be. I do not like $1,700 at least for the 7.62 model. But if you could score a 7.62 and a 5.56 kit you would be set for all conceivable scenarios I think. There is allegedly a .308 model in the works. If you got those 3 calibers you would be covered.

(Elk County)

I've been a Robinson owner in the past, but no longer. I've fired the XCR, a rifle owned by another shooter, and I liked it. However, my experiences with Robinson's support of my two Robinson 96s (Rifle and Carbine) was far less than impressive.

The 96 Rifle came to me as an oler production arm that needed a couple "upgrades" (translation: Corrections of serious design fuckups) that Robinson took care of -- FCG and Bolt Carrier. The op rod had a serious design flaw as well; Robinson had a sharp-edged slot in the rod that formed a stress riser and some owners experienced cracking. Another flaw in the rod design was the use of hardened roll pins as firm stops for the op handle, in a loose-fit application. These pins would fracture off or slip out on some guns.

Sending back the bolt carrier and the lower took about 3 months to turn around, when the customer service guy said everything was in stock and T/A would be 2-4 wks. I finally had to call weekly to get some oil applied to my squeaking wheel. The last call I made, the CS guy said that RA was "too busy" because it was all-hands-on-deck to get the XCR launched.

Robinson is far too small a company to be taken seriously, if they make one product and then ignore its ownership base in favor of desperately trying to launch another weapon in order to be considered for Govt and LEO contracts. Then the XCR finally reaches the commercial market and guess what -- it also needs an "upgrade" or two based on the ownership base completing RA's final testing.

As I said, the ACR itself is a great rifle, and its functionality is AK-like. But the fact that RA let the 96 become a poor red-headed stepchild in favor of the XCR is very off-putting. RA is simply too small to suport its products, the XCR included, IMO. When Alex Robinsion cooks up the successor to the XCR, will history repeat itself? More importantly, will RA survive as a company long enough for Alex to get the chance to design another platform?

I sold the RA 96s and bought three 223 Saigas and did the 922r - compliant PG conversion on them. They have been adjusted to accept Wieger mags and slightly modified polymer Galil mags and all three have been 100% reliable. Parts are readily availalable, and with 60+ years of product design experience in the field, no "upgrades" are necessary. For the "tactikool" crowd, aftermarket rails are available.

Why go with an expensive AK clone made by a shaky small company when the real deal works so well, and the same $$$ buys you three for one?

All JMO, not worth the electrons it's printed with. YMMV.

Noah

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123