Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What about the Robinson XCR?

Robinson would still have the LEO and some Military market.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I have a friend who's son is a Marine and owns one. He is coming up for the weekend with it and we're going to be doing some shooting. He already said that I will be able to shoot it so I'll report about it next week. I do know that it took a while to get it because they aren't into mass production. His reports on it so far has been that he would carry it in combat (except he paid for it so he's not going to ).

Its a small world and the gun he's refering to is a friend of mines from high school. I met up with him last week and shot the XCR with a rail out front. It shot very nice w/ a good gas impulse but DAMN was it front end heavy. To me it was not balanced very well but it was accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    Its a small world and the gun he's refering to is a friend of mines from high school. I met up with him last week and shot the XCR with a rail out front. It shot very nice w/ a good gas impulse but DAMN was it front end heavy. To me it was not balanced very well but it was accurate.
    That would be the heavy barrel if it were front heavy. I have the light barrel on mine and it's incredibly well balanced. I still don't understand why people get the heavy barrel on this gun. It's NOT a precision rifle, it's a semi-auto, and it's a soft shooter to begin with.

With the heavy barrel, it's almost as nose heavy as the Sig 556. Not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    What if another AWB is passed, and Robinson folds?
    They would still have LEO accounts.
    Last edited by itstock; July 26th, 2009 at 01:35 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by itstock View Post
    They would still have LEO accounts.
    Do they have any? You'd think that if they did, they'd brag about it on the web site, but I don't really see anything, other than "Law enforcement officers training with the XCR," on the gallery page.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Do they have any? You'd think that if they did, they'd brag about it on the web site, but I don't really see anything, other than "Law enforcement officers training with the XCR," on the gallery page.
    Lots of officers on the 'net post about using the XCR as their duty rifle.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by itstock View Post
    That would be the heavy barrel if it were front heavy. I have the light barrel on mine and it's incredibly well balanced. I still don't understand why people get the heavy barrel on this gun. It's NOT a precision rifle, it's a semi-auto, and it's a soft shooter to begin with.

With the heavy barrel, it's almost as nose heavy as the Sig 556. Not a good thing.
    Nope it was the pencil barrel version with a rail. I just didn't care for all the weight out there but he also did have VFG and surefire light mounted out infront of it so that will throw the balance WAY forward. Couple that with an extremely light stock in the back and I feel it just tipped it a little far forward for what I would have liked. Reguardless it was still a very nice rifle though not one on a short list for myself right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Chester County)

I'm thinking of switching over from Saiga AK's to this platform. Are there any other comments from people who own one? Where did you get it, how much, whats good on it, whats wrong with it, etc.

I can't seem to search the classifieds here because "robinson" and/or "xcr" doesn't cooperate with the search engine. Nothing for robinson and xcr is too common, apparently.

Basically, I love my AK but I would be interested in something that is more ergonomic, compatible with existing ammo and mags in this country (5.56/stanag mag), and generally better quality.

The XCR seems to exhibit the existing qualities of the AK but has what I want listed above and more.

What are owners impressions of this gun? And I have been the xcrcarbine forums. Customer service seems good.

I keep seeing posts regarding the xcr that say something like, "for the money you could get a better rifle." What is out there? The ACR is too much money, the Steyer AUG clone is not something I would use, didn't like the fs2000 when I shot it, have owned and don't like the ar-15 design...what else is there. 1,500 seems reasonable for this gun msrp especially when you can get them used around 1,ooo.

Basically, never could get serious with the ar-15, I want the reliability of the AK but in an improved design. Discuss.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

My turn to chime in here, I have owned the light barrel version of the XCR for the past couple of years and have around 6k rounds through her. In those 6000rds, I might have had 2-3 misfires, but that was becasue of the ammo(wolf) and not the gun. I know my XCR will cycle just about any type of ammo I put in it. I have shot wolf ammo, Golden/Brown/Silver Bear ammo, winchester, PMC, and a factory reloaded round that I can't remember the name of...it all went through.

Some of these were already mentioned...

The pros: takes any and all Ar-15 mags and pistols grips, easy to strip and clean and stays cleaner as there is no blow back into the firing chamber, no cheap plastic feel on the upper(sig556) as the picatinny rail is all metal and one piece, can easily convert to other available 6.8SPC/6.5BR and 7.62x39 caliper barrels in just a few minutes.

You can also adjust the gas without the use of any tools. If you don't like the folding stock, Robinson has collapsing stock adaptors to fit any M4 style stock.

the Cons: My light barrelled XCR without iron sights weighed in at just over 7.5lbs and with my scope, my tactical light, my front pistol grip and my new iron sights, it weighs in aroun the 10lb mark, just a bit heavy. you will get a surprise when you crack her open the first time because if you have it tilted the wrong way, everything comes sliding out. I can assure you will only do this once...the folding stock kept coming loose until I lock tightened the allen bolts that hold it on. you will need front covers on the lower picatinny rails as they will get hot fast. other than those few items, I can't think of any other cons.

As for the recoil, I have only shot one AR-15 and that was the Smith and Wesson M&P AR-15 and the time between shooting them both was too long to notice the difference.

If you look hard enough, you can find one of these XCRs with old gas system for around $1000, I paid $900 for mine used with less than 150 rounds through her. Some guy had it on consignment at a local dealer for $1000, I offered $900 and he took it. the reason he sold it was Robinson started to sell the XCR with a newer gas block system and instead of paying the $100 to upgrade the one he had, he bought the newer one.

Sounds as if we need to have a AR-15, Robinson XCR, AK-47 shoot off sometime soon If you are interested in seeing how it shoots, you are more than welcome to give her a whirl.
    Last edited by schmol; February 23rd, 2010 at 08:15 PM.

(Perry County)

I have the H-bar version. Build quality is very good; it's a solid rifle. I haven't put a lot of round through it so I can't speak to it's long term durability. I don't notice any real difference in recoil between it and the AR other than I would describe the XCR as being less sharp.

(Northampton County)

1. Robinson arms is the only source of barrels and bolts. And yes their production capability is limited.
    IMO.....this is a huge drawback....especially when one considers it's a small company that might not be hear in a few years. The only way I would have one is if I was powerball rich. That way an 1800.00$ wall decoration would not bother me so much.

I'm not a huge AR fan....they're OK...I have 2....but parts for them are abundant.
    Last edited by reverserboy; February 25th, 2010 at 10:38 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast