Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Crimson Trace laser grip questions

Hello I have a few questions for anyone who currently owns or has owned a set of the Crimson Trace laser grips. I was looking at getting one for my M&P 40. They seem like a good purchase and seem to have many benefits when it comes to fast target acquisition and such. Plus they look pretty neat to. I also would like to use it to my advantage to see some of the mistakes I am making while firing a the range. My questions are first off, are they pretty realiable? From all the reviews on the actual website it is all 100% but I can't be to sure they would post up any of the negative comments anyway. I am hoping for the price I will pay for them that they will last for a long time. They will be on my carry piece which I conceal in a Uncle Mikes vertical shoulder holster. Another question is how hard or easy is it to activate the laser on them? One reason I would like to know is if for some reason the button was to accidentally be depressed while in my should holster is could eventually kill the batteries off quicker making a possibly dead laser in case I ever needed it. The second and more important reason is because my girlfriend has Lupas and some days her hands can get very weak. I was thinking of getting her one for her Taurus Ultra Lite 38 special. Is it hard to turn them on and constantly keep them on without to much excessive pressure? Finally is there anywhere else that would sell these for cheaper. I have found a few sites like cheapasdirt.com, ebay and so on but they only seem to sell them for a little cheaper than what I can get from the actual company. A grip for mine costs $320 at their website. Thanks for any help you can give.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Crimson Trace laser grip questions

Reliable, accurate, a little expensive.

On the M&P, I don't think that the grip gets close enough to the switch; it is on the front of the CT grip and falls naturally under your second finger. There is an on/off master switch on the side, if you were to need it.

They take two batteries (either CR2025 or CR2032, I don't recall at the moment), and they let you know when they are getting tired, so they won't just 'wink out'.

You can adjust both elevation and windage if you need to. When I got mine (XD 45 Service), they were set for 50 feet, and they were dead on. I carry for self-defense, so I have my iron sites set for 25 feet and the CT for 10; If I'm close enough to use them, the slug is going where it is aimed.

What they are great for is improving your grip; you might be surprised how much you can be 'moving around' while you are aiming; that dot tends to make you better able to hold the target.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Washington County)

I have them on my Beretta 92FS and love them. Only problem I found was that I now want them for all my pistols. Which will add up fast.

(York County)

Talking Re: Crimson Trace laser grip questions

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Anderson View Post
    I have them on my Beretta 92FS and love them. Only problem I found was that I now want them for all my pistols. Which will add up fast.
    well I am safe from that atleast for right now as I only have one firearm at the current time. But we all know how that goes.

wa3ra, do you have an M&P that you have tested them on? You are saying that the on off button which is activated by your grip is a little out of place for where you hold the m&P? If that is the case I might have to find a gun store that will let me try one out on an M&P because that was the main selling point for me with these. The auto on and off and not having to flick a switch or push a separate button. Also you say the buttons on the m&p are on the front of the grip closest to the trigger and not on the back as I originally thought. I may have to try one of these before I buy. If I have to fumble my middle finger around to find the button it won't be worth the purchase. Isn't that the button on the back of the grip. Looks like two buttons, one I am assuming for auto on and off and the other one which is pressure activated? http://www.crimsontrace.com/images/360/LG660/LG660.html
    Last edited by S&WM&P40; July 6th, 2009 at 03:41 PM.

(Washington County)

I've shot a full size M&P 9 with the Crimson Trace grips and I really liked them. In fact, I liked them a lot and want to add a set to my M&P 9c/40c, but I have other goodies higher on my priority list at the moment.

What I do know, is that Shooters Resource sells the Crimson Trace full size M&P grip for $241.95 and it includes: free USPS Priority Mail shipping, free CR2032 batteries for life, the Crimson Trace 'The Art of Survival - Real World Tactics' DVD, a 'Laser Sights: An Effective New Training Tool' booklet and a Crimson Trace Decal.

If you take the leap and buy the Crimson Trace grips, I hope the link saves you some cash
    I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. -- Susan B. Anthony, July 1871

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by colagrrl View Post
    I've shot a full size M&P 9 with the Crimson Trace grips and I really liked them. In fact, I liked them a lot and want to add a set to my M&P 9c/40c, but I have other goodies higher on my priority list at the moment.

What I do know, is that Shooters Resource sells the Crimson Trace full size M&P grip for $241.95 and it includes: free USPS Priority Mail shipping, free CR2032 batteries for life, the Crimson Trace 'The Art of Survival - Real World Tactics' DVD, a 'Laser Sights: An Effective New Training Tool' booklet and a Crimson Trace Decal.

If you take the leap and buy the Crimson Trace grips, I hope the link saves you some cash

Wow that is $100 cheaper than their website. I will definitly be going through that website to order them when I get the extra cash. Are they hard to turn on when you grip them or are they pretty easy. I guess I could say I have about a medium grip when I hold a hand gun. I don't really limp wrist it but I don't try to crush it either. Thanks for that link!!

(Lehigh County)

I have a CT on my M&P9c and absolutely love it. The previous link WILL save you some dough from paying full price though - use it. I think I paid about 230 or so for the 9c sized set. The switch on mine is in the rear - when you have a natural grip on the gun it triggers the laser and shuts off once you release the hand grip (its quite well designed IMO).

I carry this gun daily in a DeSantis OWB leather holster - spent a little time working it around the laser and it fits great now.

Good luck and enjoy it.... very worthwhile accessory!

(Northampton County)

Why are lasers so darn expensive? Wal-mart has a laser pointer dog toy that is, like, $2.99. I have zapped the back wall of the store from the front of the store with it.

(Montgomery County)

I currently have them on three of the four "working" guns that I own - a S&W 642, Sig P239 and P220. I'm planning on putting them on my P229 as well.

Obviously I think they work very well. I especially like them for the S&W 642 (that was the first set I purchased). I've had those for over three years now. The 642 is the gun I carry most often. It rides in an ankle holster at least 5 days a week - 11 to 12 hours a day, or just shoved in a pocket.
    I've got at least 1400 - 1500 rounds through the gun with the CT's on it. I haven't had to replace the batteries yet, and the grips have been 100% reliable.

IMHO, there is no down side to putting a set on your gun (other than wanting to put them on all of your guns )

Some advantages to having them -

Shooting in low light / dark is much easier.

Point shooting quickly without having to use the guns sights. You can draw your gun from your pocket or holster and get quick hits in the kill zone without bringing the gun up and using the guns sights.

Dry firing at home. You'll be surprise how good you can get practicing point shooting with your CT's. You'll also learn better trigger control - especially shooting a double action only gun (all my working guns are DAO). Keeping the dot pin pointed on a target without having it move off target while pulling the trigger is very challenging and great practice.

The location of the activation button varies on the different model grips. Some buttons are located on the front strap of the grip. Others are located on the sides of the two grip panels. They are activated very easily when the gun is naturally gripped.

CT's are not a substitute for knowing how to shoot using the guns' iron sights. In bright day light, the CT's are almost useless.
    The CT's on my guns have on/off switches. I usually practice shooting with them both turned on and off.

They aren't cheap but then again how much is your, or your loved ones life worth?

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Why are lasers so darn expensive? Wal-mart has a laser pointer dog toy that is, like, $2.99. I have zapped the back wall of the store from the front of the store with it.
    I have seen other companies that make laser sights that attach to your accesory rail for which range from $30-$400. I believe these are worth the money because the laser is so small and miniscule that it will still fit in most holsters while an Picatanny or weaver attachement would call for a different holster altogether. Plus the automatic grip IMO makes this particular sight worth the money. In a life or death situation you may not have time to turn on a laser site. All in all I guess you get what you pay for and after reading the positive comments on this particular sight I am more than fully ready to invest my money into this brand. I have watched all the videos on the CT website and they all make me want this even more. As soon as I have the available funds I will be buying them for a discounted price thanks to coloagurl. Thanks everyone for your help. Of course once I get them there will be plenty of pictures and a before and after range report. I see that they come sighted in at 50 yards. Did most of you change yours to a closer distance like wa3ra did or just leave them at the 50 yards?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast