Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Updating LTCF address

So, I'm not positive about this so I figured I would ask. I recently moved within PA to a new county. Do I need to get a updated/new LTCF within the new county or can I continue to legally use my old one.

I would guess I need a new one but it's a pain when the office is only open 8-4 and I work 7:30-4:30.

Thanks all.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Updating LTCF address

You don't need to get a new one - yours is valid until it expires. I would call the previous county and inform them of your new address however. That way if your LTCF is revoked for some reason they will mail you a notice to your correct address.

I'm not sure if you'll be considered a "new" license or a renewal when you go to renew in your new county.\

Edit: Welcome to the forum!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by daw4455 View Post
    So, I'm not positive about this so I figured I would ask. I recently moved within PA to a new county. Do I need to get a updated/new LTCF within the new county or can I continue to legally use my old one.

I would guess I need a new one but it's a pain when the office is only open 8-4 and I work 7:30-4:30.

Thanks all.
    when i moved i had to go into the sheriff's office and get an updated ltcf. i think it was like a $5.00 fee for the updated one, but they like your license address to match your new address or address change card.

not saying its mandatory, just sayin thats what i did, and was instructed to do by the sheriff's office to keep everything in order.

(Washington County)

Thanks for the fast responces

(Luzerne County)

anonymouse pretty much nailed it, and the advice agrees with that of one of our resident attorneys.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There's no legal requirement to notify the Sheriff that you've moved, but it really is to your benefit to tell him.

Your LTCF is only as good as the Sheriff says it is, and if he revokes it then you not only don't have a License, you're presumed to be ineligible to have a License, which bumps the usual Misdemeanor 1 offense up to a Felony under the statute. So if he revokes it, all he has to do is mail a certified letter to your last known address. If you don't live there, you won't get that letter, so you'll continue carrying a firearm but now you're committing a felony.

Licenses get revoked for all sorts of reasons, so you may not have any clue that you've done something, or been accused of doing something, that might merit revocation.

Most Sheriffs will also send you a courtesy letter before your License expires, but that only makes it to your last known address, too.

So, definitely send your own certified letter to the Sheriff that issued your LTCF, giving him your new address.

Now why in the world would a sheriff want to revoke anyone's LTCF ....hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Yes, I know it happens for crazy reasons sometimes