Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Police Use Taser on Texas Pastor

Default Re: Police Use Taser on Texas Pastor

Funny, a few of my absolute worst verbal assaults ever levied at me while I was a police officer were from "MEN OF THE CLOTH." One specific incident comes to mind that if it weren't for video, I'm sure myself, another patrolman, and my sergeant would have been suspended or fired for the alledged actions we supposedly did. I hadn't till that day nor have I ever since been spoken to with such disgust and or filth and this clown was the pastor of the largest congregation in the county. There were people lined up at the PD to complain based on the "PASTORS" side of the story. But, I got to tell ya, once the Chief saw the tape, organized an open town hall meeting viewing of the tape with hundreds of people attending, the "Pastor" couldn't get out of town fast enough...LOL

People are people regardless of job, education, social status or any other bunk. Some are cool, some ain't so cool and this do good Pastor who obstructed the legal & lawful duties of a Texas Peace Officer, failed his congregation on many levels. He had no business leaving his congregation to interrupt a police officer in the performance of his duties. His obligation was to the congregation. Why is it that people feel the need to interrupt law enforcement officer's while in the discharge of their duties?

Why don't people barge in on doctors performing surgery on loved one's and cause a scene? Why don't they get up in the Dentists face when he's got a drill going X MPH on a tooth? Why don't people who insist on obstructing justice obstruct child care workers at an open play ground so as to allow small children to enter onto roadways? Ohhh no, people don't do that but some how or another some folks just feel they just have to step up to ole Johnny law and put their two cents worth in regardless if they are involved or not.

If Mr. Obstructing Justice really and truly wanted to help said motorist or officer, he could have merely waited for the traffic stop to be complete then ask the driver if he could help. Or if he knew the driver, the Pastor could approach the officer after the traffic stop and mention that he knew the driver and law violator and could speak on his behalf, if needed. Cops are human and having a Pastor speak on your behalf at some point after a traffic stop, might influence the officer before court to drop the charge to a lesser one, asked for a reduced fine, or dismiss the citation. But nope, Mr. hero Pastor had to go get involved in the middle and apparently physically assault a police officer doing his or her job. Great Community relations there Pastor. Then the Pastor flees and seeks refuge inside a building, fleeing like a common criminal, and hides behind men and women who have trust and faith in his character. These find men and women of the congregation, not having full knowledge of the situation, support their Pastor, a man who has fled from the scene of a felonious assault on a police officer and is the alledged perpetrator of said crime. Police officer being in "HOT PURSUIT" of the suspect, has a legal right to pursue said criminal without a warrant, uses force to gain entry into a building where he encounters numerous aiders to the escape and fleeing of the alledged suspect.
    Where upon the officer is outnumbered and confronted by a hostile crowd uses the necessary force to disperse said crowd and affect the arrest of the suspect and aiders.

Gosh, why don't journalist write their stories like I just did. Laying out the known facts and truth without all the emotional buzz words to turn people against LEO? Fact of the matter is, the Paster screwed up, period. Could the officer have handled it better, yes. But we are talking Government work where the least experienced person is generally the one called upon to make the most critical decisions. You don't see the 25 year police Lt doing patrol work but you will see a 25 year senior law partner handle the civil case. Most experienced handling a problem, civilian work ideology. Least experienced, Government!

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Why don't people barge in on doctors performing surgery on loved one's and cause a scene? Why don't they get up in the Dentists face when he's got a drill going X MPH on a tooth? Why don't people who insist on obstructing justice obstruct child care workers at an open play ground so as to allow small children to enter onto roadways?
    None of the above have any form of forced authority over others, nor do they have quite the bad reputation for abuse (undeserved as it may be) that the police have. Noone's ever said "I'm going to the authorities" when going in for a checkup or cleaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    Seems like the police are taser happy, now that they have a convenient way to take someone down without having to deal with legal reprocussions. I think the same regulations against police using firearms should apply to tasers.

(Lackawanna County)

video will show up in a few weeks or in the discovery period....

well a cop who busts down a door of a church and lol disperses the crowd being a 1 man wrecking crew sells more papers and is a better headline... if hes a big deal in w/e religion he has ties to the important people who can shift perception...

i'm wondering why this guy had to be tasered... im guessing the whole tending to his flock gave him a sense of entitlement to interfere, but who knows it could have been the cops fault

gonna be interesting to see if it plays out

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
    None of the above have any form of forced authority over others, nor do they have quite the bad reputation for abuse (undeserved as it may be) that the police have. Noone's ever said "I'm going to the authorities" when going in for a checkup or cleaning.

Seems like the police are taser happy, now that they have a convenient way to take someone down without having to deal with legal reprocussions. I think the same regulations against police using firearms should apply to tasers.
    Yes, we like our Tasers. Do you know why we like our Tasers? Because before Tasers, when someone was resisting, you had to wrestle or fight with them. They get hurt, we get hurt, no one wins.

With a Taser, if someone resists, they are incapacitated. They are then cuffed and no one gets hurt usually. The pain from the Taser stops when the juice stops flowing. It tends to be much more humane than getting pepper sprayed, punched, hit with a baton or flashlight.

Best of all, there is a very easy way to avoid being tazed. Don't break the law. If you must break the law, don't resist when you are caught.

(Berks County)

Police are humans too. They a just as much a slave to emotions as everyone else. Police genrally come across as helpful and respectful, but I have seen one in particular become the most belligerant maniac ever. I lost alot of respect for him but not police in genral. No one knows the whole story till it all gets sorted out, bet the truth lies in the middle.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Yes, we like our Tasers. Do you know why we like our Tasers? Because before Tasers, when someone was resisting, you had to wrestle or fight with them. They get hurt, we get hurt, no one wins.

With a Taser, if someone resists, they are incapacitated. They are then cuffed and no one gets hurt usually. The pain from the Taser stops when the juice stops flowing. It tends to be much more humane than getting pepper sprayed, punched, hit with a baton or flashlight.

Best of all, there is a very easy way to avoid being tazed. Don't break the law. If you must break the law, don't resist when you are caught.
    a couple kids i know are in the act 120, and they had to go through OC training and get sprayed with a few different kinds of pepper spray or mace....do you have to have some sort of unpleasant experience with electricity?

The congregants say Moran fled into the church when the officer grew angry and began to yell, and Moran's family disputes that the pastor touched the officer.

Moran's son Miguel said 30 witnesses saw the officer turn aggressive and repeatedly kick the church door. Several members were hit with pepper spray and children were present, Miguel Moran said.
    Isn't a church supposed to be a sanctuary, or is that no longer true? Can the police kick in the door and go inside the church to subdue a person or persons? It's not clear in the story if he entered the church or not.

I'm not defending or condemning anybody's actions; I wasn't there and I didn't witness the incident.
    The real answer is 42.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    a couple kids i know are in the act 120, and they had to go through OC training and get sprayed with a few different kinds of pepper spray or mace....do you have to have some sort of unpleasant experience with electricity?
    I can't tell you about PSP's policy (Though it's pretty uniform through out the country) but when I became Taser certified in Daytona Beach, I most certainly had to experience being Tased as part of the course. Though they did give us a choice: Tased until incapacitated, or Tased for the full-discharge of the weapon.

I chose the latter - and yes, it hurts like a sombich. BUT, the pain stops as soon as the current does (as unclejumbo said) leaving only a dull ache akin to the aftermath of a muscle cramp.

Tasers are NOT the evil torture devices the media makes them out to be - they are a very valuable less-lethal device for subduing a resisting subject, WITHOUT the need for blunt-force trauma.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    I can't tell you about PSP's policy (Though it's pretty uniform through out the country) but when I became Taser certified in Daytona Beach, I most certainly had to experience being Tased as part of the course. Though they did give us a choice: Tased until incapacitated, or Tased for the full-discharge of the weapon.

I chose the latter - and yes, it hurts like a sombich. BUT, the pain stops as soon as the current does (as unclejumbo said) leaving only a dull ache akin to the aftermath of a muscle cramp.

Tasers are NOT the evil torture devices the media makes them out to be - they are a very valuable less-lethal device for subduing a resisting subject, WITHOUT the need for blunt-force trauma.
    ouch x10 lol where did the barbs end up? do they leave any scars....did you get taser certified for a job or?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast