Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Post Police state Pittsburgh

It is with deep regret that I post this message.. I am native to Philly and three years ago started callin the burgh home... i noticed after awhile, maybe over a year ago, that it started appearing like a police state going out as a young male on the south side of the city... i had lived in philly during college and beyond, and NEVER noticed a cop either outside or inside the bar unledss there had been some serious altercation... why?? because the bouncer had quelled the situation and then the cops were called to arrest.. duh. finally, after one of my friends nearly had his arm broken by a bored cop IN the bar a few weeks ago, i started going out in an observatory role to see what was really going on. just lats night (july 4) there were TWO cops outside a club on carson st and i asked them why they were there (right next to the head bouncer of the club)..they said they were hired by the club. i then asked them why where they in cop uniforms if that were the case... they said ''well if something happened then we are obligated to reconcile it".. i said "well as a club owner, if i hired YOU then something happened across the street, then i think you'd be breaking your contract to provide security to my location and my property, were to engage a problem off-property" and they said ' well that's how it is'.... anyone have any thoughts? i have more of the story, just thought that it seems odd that you can have your own security but still have to hire the police ''off duty''. ....

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Police state Pittsburgh

I don't see anything wrong with a club owner hiring whatever security he/she feels is necessary. Remember, that's what FREEDOM is all about, the individual makes the decisions.

This reminds me of something that happened the last time we visited my daughter and son-in-law in New Orleans. They took us to one of Emiril's fancy restaurants (and they picked up the check, that's when you know you raised your kids right!).

Outside were two rent a cops "protecting" the entrance. All decked out in Black Tactical clothes, sort of like Barney Fife does SWAT. I had to laugh, we had them outgunned and I assumed they were wearing black so the wet spot in their pants wouldn't show, should something happen.

I suppose that gives some of the sheep some comfort, thinking someone will protect them. Frankly, I'm a do it yourself kind of guy.
    "Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions." G.K. Chesterton

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by sksmith75 View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with a club owner hiring whatever security he/she feels is necessary. Remember, that's what FREEDOM is all about, the individual makes the decisions.

This reminds me of something that happened the last time we visited my daughter and son-in-law in New Orleans. They took us to one of Emiril's fancy restaurants (and they picked up the check, that's when you know you raised your kids right!).

Outside were two rent a cops "protecting" the entrance. All decked out in Black Tactical clothes, sort of like Barney Fife does SWAT. I had to laugh, we had them outgunned and I assumed they were wearing black so the wet spot in their pants wouldn't show, should something happen.

I suppose that gives some of the sheep some comfort, thinking someone will protect them. Frankly, I'm a do it yourself kind of guy.
    I'm all for people hiring any security force they deem necessary. What i have a problem with - in this instance - is that they were wearing their PD uniforms.

I didn't even know that off duty cops could moon light wearing their dept. issued uniform.

If it were me, i'd check with the PD higher ups and see if this is policy. I highly doubt the PD wants their off duty, moonlighting officers wearing the PD colors.

I can't really speak on the legality of things about this in PA any more but what I suspect happens in the business owner contacts their local police department and reimburses the department for them providing officers to act in a "SECURITY" role but they are actually on the clock as officers for the agency they work for. Again, can't say with 100% certainty but it used to be that off duty officers who worked armed security had to be ACT 235 Certified. I think this was due to liability issues arising out of the fact the officer might have been doing some side job representing the agency. To circumvent this, the business owner just reimberses the department for expenses to assign to officers to their private business.

(Washington County)

I think i read somewhere on here think it was a clothing retailer a Burlington maybe. That the way it works is the private business hires off duty police thought he Police Department. which means the police department and the officers are making money on the deal and that is why they where in their duty gear. This means extra money for the Police department for extra things that are not in their budget and the officers make extra money to help out with the hard times. Seems like a win, win situation to me. I may be mistaken but I do not believe I am.

Damn Customloaded beat me to it.
    Last edited by Mr_Anderson; July 5th, 2009 at 10:09 AM.

This reminds of what is going on in Lancaster City, Mayor Gray laidoff 25 police officers and made the business owners of the downtown area hire these guys that wear red shirts and ride bikes everywhere. they really have no power what so ever, kinda like the Guardians, and really dislike when you don't listen them. they try to make it seem they have some power, but they don't.

I was doing security for our annual freedom fest concert and we had a couple of the local PD bicycle patrolmen hanging out bullshitting with us when they got a harassment call at a local park. When they came back, it ended up being 2 of these "James Street" red shirted bike guys that tried to cite a dog owner for not having his dog on the lease(which they have no authority to do)and the dog owner was very disobedient, which the James Street riders didn't like and called the real police because he didn't listen.

The police basically told these red shirt riders to stop harassing the residents and just ride around...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by schmol View Post
    This reminds of what is going on in Lancaster City, Mayor Gray laidoff 25 police officers and made the business owners of the downtown area hire these guys that wear red shirts and ride bikes everywhere. they really have no power what so ever, kinda like the Guardians, and really dislike when you don't listen them. they try to make it seem they have some power, but they don't.

I was doing security for our annual freedom fest concert and we had a couple of the local PD bicycle patrolmen hanging out bullshitting with us when they got a harassment call at a local park. When they came back, it ended up being 2 of these "James Street" red shirted bike guys that tried to cite a dog owner for not having his dog on the lease(which they have no authority to do)and the dog owner was very disobedient, which the James Street riders didn't like and called the real police because he didn't listen.

The police basically told these red shirt riders to stop harassing the residents and just ride around...
    Mayor Gray can't MAKE any business hire anyone, unless the business owners are retarded enough to fall for it.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Lancaster County)

Most of those guys on bicycles are a cop wanna be or can't get a real security job. and DICK gray is an A_hole. That job doesn't pay enough to risk your live for.
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

(Allegheny County)

That bar owner is paying anywhere between $35-$50 per officer per hour to watch his business. With all the drunk idiots that hang out on the south side and Carson St. that is cheap insurance to protect his business and his patrons.

Face it if you were planning on starting any kind of trouble would you do it in a bar with two City of Pittsburgh Police officers standing in front of it? No

If you a woman would you think twice of frequenting a bar that had two Police officers in front protecting it? Nope.

Plus if it was a bar that had a past history of trouble and you're making a concerted effort to clean up the problem, you can be sure that if your name is on the problem bar list it will soon be off it.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by ALS View Post
    That bar owner is paying anywhere between $35-$50 per officer per hour to watch his business. With all the drunk idiots that hang out on the south side and Carson St. that is cheap insurance to protect his business and his patrons.

Face it if you were planning on starting any kind of trouble would you do it in a bar with two City of Pittsburgh Police officers standing in front of it? No

If you a woman would you think twice of frequenting a bar that had two Police officers in front protecting it? Nope.

Plus if it was a bar that had a past history of trouble and you're making a concerted effort to clean up the problem, you can be sure that if your name is on the problem bar list it will soon be off it.
    Agreed , I see no problem there . It is private property and you don't have to patronize there .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast