Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi Point .380

(Philadelphia County)

Question Hi Point .380

Ok, here goes...

I live in southwest philly and im looking to buy me a gun for my 21st bday on the 19th. the thing is, i would rather make the purchase in delaware county... anyone who is in my area should know of suburban armoury and maybe old odd & otherwise(in media umm or something lol) suburban armoury would be closest. but i would like to know if anyone has had any experience with these two?

also another question is... what would a good price be for a hi point .380?

New=?

Used=?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Hi Point .380

what would a good price be for a hi point .380?
    0.0 would be a good price for it. Why are you even considering buying junk like Hi point?? Does any reputable company even make a holster for a Hi point??

AND....right now....good luck finding .380 ammo.

I would recommend looking at moderately priced decent guns...like Glock,XD or CZ. 9mm will be easier to get ammo for in the short term & gives more bang for the buck than .380.

For a first handgun you can't go wrong with a Glock 19 or 23. For a revolver,you can't go wrong with a Ruger sp101. To save some money,look for a used one.

I would avoid Hi point. DON'T BUY JUNK.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    0.0 would be a good price for it. Why are you even considering buying junk like Hi point?? Does any reputable company even make a holster for a Hi point??

AND....right now....good luck finding .380 ammo.

I would recommend looking at moderately priced decent guns...like Glock,XD or CZ. 9mm will be easier to get ammo for in the short term & gives more bang for the buck than .380.

For a first handgun you can't go wrong with a Glock 19 or 23. For a revolver,you can't go wrong with a Ruger sp101. To save some money,look for a used one.

I would avoid Hi point. DON'T BUY JUNK.
    Hi Point has a bad rap because they are in-expensive. I have a Carbine and I enjoy it.(won it in a gun raffle) I know some people who have multiple Hi Points and trust their lives to them. I don't know if I could trust my life to a $150.00 gun.

I personally wouldn't start off with a Hi Point as my first or only pistol. I would save my money and get something else. You can get a decent pistol for $300-400. I paid $387.00 for my Glock 32 used from Cabellas.

I would also stay away from .380 right now since ammo is so hard to find.

If you can only afford a Hi Point thats what you can afford. I would rather have a Hi Point than no gun at all.

To answer your question:

New: MSRP $135.00
    Used: I have seen them sell for less than $100.00
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

I'll give you the skinny on the hi-point. I own one, A 9c it was giving to me.
    It does go bang when you pull the trigger and at 7 yds it is fairly accurate, but..... Every time I squeeze the trigger I squint and pray it doesn't blow up.
    As a matter of fact I literaly just got done cleaning it. And I just sat there looking at it apart and wondered how it stays together.

The only reason I keep it is to show people the difference between it and my 239 when they are considering making a 9mm purchase.
    Would I trust my life with it, no.
    It is a odd cheap pistol that I occasionaly take to the range or let newbies shoot when I take them to the range.

Again, it goes bang, it works.
    If thats all you can truly afford than get it. If it's possible to come up with a few hundred more, buy something else.

(Philadelphia County)

well, if it offers any form of redemption, i planned to get a glock 19 the following month...then when i get a VERY GOOD job theres a desert eagle with my name on it...well it will have my name on it also, i have my reasons for wanting a hi point .380 there was actually another one i was looking at it was a .25 but i cant remember the company

Quote Originally Posted by kashief View Post
    well, if it offers any form of redemption, i planned to get a glock 19 the following month...then when i get a VERY GOOD job theres a desert eagle with my name on it...well it will have my name on it also, i have my reasons for wanting a hi point .380 there was actually another one i was looking at it was a .25 but i cant remember the company
    Mikes in Levittown has a real nice Glock 17 for $420. I woulld jump on that.

(Armstrong County)

If your going to buy a new hi-point, get the 9c. Ammo is cheaper and easier to find. Hi points are less reliable the a better named gun. They have more jams and seems my experience a hell of alot of stove pipes. I almost bought one due to them only being $150. I went the the shop to buy it and I came across a nice TZ99 in 9mm used for $200. Now I have the tz and think its great. I made the right choice. When I striped it down I realized that the blueing hadnt been worn off yet and that gun hadnt been shot much at all. My point is to shop around, never know what youll find. Also If money is the issue, try telling friends and family that you want cash twords your first pistol for a B-day present. I raised about $300 that way to buy my M&P40c on my 21st bday

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    I wouldnt say they are total junk, some function well, others hardly function at all, I dont like the inconsitancy. Look at it like this, its ~$150 what do you expect? Glock quality?? No I wouldnt, but if you just want a gun for the range or to expand your collection, as long as you know what your getting, what can it hurt? Just dont expect perfection for that price. And yes there are plenty of companys making holsters for hi-point.

Fobus Standard Paddle Holster, Hi-Point 9mm & .380, Right Hand, Black,

VEGA N1 Holster #N150 Right Handed only (All Hi-Points, Ruger P89)

Fobus Vega Uncle Mikes, all good stuff. Also Desantis makes some along with galco.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    I'll give you the skinny on the hi-point. I own one, A 9c it was giving to me.
    It does go bang when you pull the trigger and at 7 yds it is fairly accurate, but..... Every time I squeeze the trigger I squint and pray it doesn't blow up.
    As a matter of fact I literaly just got done cleaning it. And I just sat there looking at it apart and wondered how it stays together.

Too funny...

Quote Originally Posted by kashief View Post
    Desert Eagle....really?

Get some trigger time in and take a safety class or two at a local range.

If you're hell bent on .380 (i was a few years ago as my first CCW) look into a Bersa Thunder .380.
    They are relatively inexpensive ($250-300 new/$150-200 used) and I've had and heard nothing but good things.

.380 is a bit harder to find, but The Firing Line on Front Street in South Philly pretty much always has it in stock now for $20/box...

Do you have you LTCF? Are you itching for a gun to carry?
    Since you say in a month you'll have enought money for a G19, If it were me, I'd wait a bit and save for something other than a bottom of the barrel Hi-Point.

(Philadelphia County)

well i feel as though im ready for a desert eagle. its was the first gun i ever fired...thought i was going to break my wrist...the first time it kinda flew back at me lol but im not a total noob.

but uhhh im cheap and on a budget so the hi point really got my attention but i know i can get something better while still affordable... also i said i "plan" on getting a glock lol probably wont though because im moving to upper darby soon and i know money will be a bit tighter since im slightly jobless. but anywho, can anyone give a final list of shops to check out? guns to consider between $150(or lower) and $200... and thanks for all the input peeps

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast