Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Hi Point .380

Default Re: Hi Point .380

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    good decision to nix the 380 since ammo is hard to find right now and not a good caliber to be your primary weapon. bad decision on deciding to go with a hipoint when you can get a used glock, ruger, taurus for around 350 or maybe a little less. i live just outside NE Philly and there are about 8 guns shops within an hour drive of my home and none of them sell or will take in trade a hipoint. there's a reason for that.....save your money and get a worthwhile reliable pistol. there's a shop called surplus city guns located on bustleton pike, feasterville, pa that has a good selection of used guns. it's only a 45 minute drive from your location and i'd suggest you check them out. good luck with whatever you decide
    This is going to be like telling where my favorite fishing hole is but...it's for a good cause. Surplus City has an FEG PA63...in my opinion a decent gun....for 190.00. I've been eyeing it for a while now, I want another so I can have a matched set. The FEG is a Makorov chambered semi auto in 9mm x 18mm. Most 9s are 9x19. It's smallish so easily concealed and a very easy gun to disassemble for cleaning. It has a lot of kick due to it's size but nothing extraordinary. While I own a Hi-Point, and like it, it's storied reputation has to make me wonder if people with more knowledge know something I don't. It may be a fine range gun but under more severe use I have to consider it's reliability. You may also want to think about an alternative that allows you to purchase something with a better reputation. Many shops are happy to do a layaway. And since you won't get the gun ON your birthday you can console yourself with a trip to the local sheriff and get started on a carry license.

(Lawrence County)

9mm is the best way to go... Ammo is cheaper than .40 and .45, and cheaper ammo means you can shoot more... The old saying goes 1 good shot with a .22 is better than 8 misses with a .45... Would I carry a Hi-Point? Sure, why not. If I can put 500 rounds through a gun, then I'm sure it will perform perfectly fine... Their carbines are a lot of fun, and the magazines are interchangable. So you can get a pistol and carbine, both chambered for 9mm, and both using the same mags...

My first gun when I turned 21 was a Taurus PT25 in .25 ACP, I still have it and it's my girlfriend's carry gun. I carry my Ruger P95, which is a 9mm... My Ruger was $325 out the door after taxes and including a box of ammo.

I know what it's like being young and broke, it sucks for sure. I'm 25 and on unemployment, and bought a trailer 3 months ago before I found out I'd be unemployed because Governor Rendell cut mental health funding state-wide... It sucks, but that's no reason you can't defend yourself... Use the best tools you have available, be it a Hi-point or a Louisville Slugger to protect yourself and your loved ones... Personally, i'd rather beat somebody half to death than shoot them, but my 5 year old daughter takes comfort in the fact that I carry a gun "So a stranger can't take me"...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Lawrence County)

Check out www.gunbroker.com great site, and will ship any firearm to your local dealer...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

Make sure you handle that PA-63. They have a horrid trigger pull. If you get one, be sure to change out the spring. You can halve the pull which will make a huge difference

(York County)

Smile Re: Hi Point .380

It sounds to me like you did your homework by researching High Point firearms and if you like what you researched and you like the gun by all means buy it. Ammo for .380 is hard to find but so is .45, .40, etc.. My advice is when you post a thread and ask for opinions on a certain brand firearm you might want to get the opinions from those who own or have owned or those who have a vast knowledge (and there are plenty out here who do) of what you are looking for. My only knowlege of High Point firearms is that all of their guns are inexpensive and with nothing else to go on, any opinion I have would be useless to you.

There is a wealth of information on this forum along with folks that have a lot of experiance regarding firearms.

Good luck with your purchase (whatever it may be)
    Last edited by Steeltown; July 22nd, 2009 at 01:40 PM.
    Rehab is for quitters!!

(Monroe County)

Please don't buy this gun. You've 5 pages of people telling you not to.
    If you do I hope you never need to use it to save a life, because you might be worse off than where you started.

If/when the gun blows up, please post pictures so we can show people.
    Wear eye protection and a mouth guard.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Philadelphia County)

well fellas...its been some months now and still haven't found anything worth buying or anything that wasnt ov er priced and now im not to sure about how long walking around with multiple knives and/or a machete in my hoodie sleeve is going to cut it... not sure if the machete is illegal or not... but anyway, i've had my eyes on a few other guns like tokarev ttc/tt33, makarov, kel-tec, rossi and various .22LR pistols...im really lookin for a tokarev in good condition...every single time i think of a gun the prices seem to go up and down overnight. its terrible...but back to gunbroker i go...

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by kashief View Post
    well fellas...its been some months now and still haven't found anything worth buying or anything that wasnt ov er priced and now im not to sure about how long walking around with multiple knives and/or a machete in my hoodie sleeve is going to cut it... not sure if the machete is illegal or not... but anyway, i've had my eyes on a few other guns like tokarev ttc/tt33, makarov, kel-tec, rossi and various .22LR pistols...im really lookin for a tokarev in good condition...every single time i think of a gun the prices seem to go up and down overnight. its terrible...but back to gunbroker i go...
    Personally I would not use the tokarev as my carry gun, just a personal preference. IMO your not going to find any deals on gunbroker for the simple fact of that anything you but you have to add at least 50 bucks onto that price.

Keep pounding the classifeds here. It's actually bullshit because the best guns and the best deals are in and around Philly, Pittsburgh, York, and other places that are no where near me.

Whats was your budget now?

(Carbon County)

The kel tec p3at is $240 ish and the PF9 if you look around should be able to find for $270 range,, the Polish walther copy,, p64 can be bought for $159 and $20 more you will get the spring kit.. this will bring the trigger pull down to a reasonable level and its a fine weapon issued as a side arm for polish military and police for many years.. if your going cheap its a good place to look.. There was a pf9 in the classified here for $180?? check that out..

(Berks County)

hi all, i just bought a walther S&W ppk .380, first ccw, now after reading i wonder if I made a mistake. Paid 450.00, but with no ammo it's usless, that means no practice,well you know. Maybe if a BG comes at me I can hit him with it.LOL

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast