Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi Point .380

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Hi Point .380

Quote Originally Posted by kashief View Post
    Ok, here goes...

I live in southwest philly and im looking to buy me a gun for my 21st bday on the 19th. the thing is, i would rather make the purchase in delaware county... anyone who is in my area should know of suburban armoury and maybe old odd & otherwise(in media umm or something lol) suburban armoury would be closest. but i would like to know if anyone has had any experience with these two?

also another question is... what would a good price be for a hi point .380?

New=?

Used=?
    Some of these people know what there talking about others just talk...they are a good gun for the most part...there not the prettyest, lightest,but it does shoot fine. There is lil to no recoil which is allways a good thing. I bought mine for like 120, 130. Look through the classifeds on here and see if you could get something in your price range...i see those bersa thunders for like 200 220...a new hi point is like 180 more or less....you might want to look into keltec, there cheap and a good pistol.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php

look around there about reviews and maybe someone might selling one in your area....once again you can't put to much stock into what someome says unless they've owned one or had extensive range time on one, don't let a "price snob" make you not make rent because you had to spend more than you can afford.

(Bucks County)

i've purchased a couple of guns from suburban armory in the past and i was happy with the price and service. instead of buying a hipoint i'd suggest you purchase a makarov or similiar gun. bulgarian maks can be had for around 200 bucks and bursa thunder can be bought new for not to much more. there are a couple of gunshops in your area besides suburban armory. you can go to msn.com click on their yellow pages link and do a search for guns. for the record i would not own a hipoint and i would suggest you take some time and visit several gunshops and see whats available. 380 is very difficult to find these days so if you buy 380 and can't find ammo all you'll have is a paper weight.

(Philadelphia County)

Save your money, get part time work on Craigslist, deliver pizza, ect. . . Get your self a quality firearm in 9mm or a higher caliber.

Look in the for sale section of the forum.

I personally do not care for HiPoint, or the .380 round. If you have cash for a Hipoint, hold on to it, save it for a quality firearm.

I am in Philly. I have many handguns, .380, 9mm, .40, .45acp, .357mag, ect. . .. If you want to shoot a FEW rounds out of each caliber, pm me. That way you know what to expect from each caliber. Right off the bat, I can tell you 9mm is a great round for starters and proven effective for self defense.

(Armstrong County)

Someone should add that hi-point is one of the best selling guns there is, due mainly to avaliability and price. Also hi-point has a good warrenty and the factory is in ohio (dont know if thats good or bad, u ever meet anyone from stupidville?). Again, if your going with the hi-point, and it sounds like your mind is made up. Get the 9c. When your buying ammo you will be happier you did.

(Philadelphia County)

ok starting from mickey

i usually base my choice mainly on my own research. ummm i loved the way the hi point felt in my hand...i have big hands so its hard to find anything that feels right in my hand from pens to knives to guns. i did check out bersa thunder too. it felt nice. they both were light but still had a bit of weight. anywho thanks ...i will check that link and i still got time to shop around so i'll check out a keltec.

wellcarft & biggs

well i have been thinking while i was out today and browsing the the web on my internet tablet(yea im a bit of a geek also) and i decided to just scratch the .380 off the list and get a 9mm. also i really just want something for carry and i figure if i do ever have to use it, god forbid, it most certainly wont be a lot of space between me and the "jerk" so yea lol. oh and would like to maybe get a security job till i can go to school for what i really love...computers of course.

pyro

yea im going with the c9 lol

Thanks Guys

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by kashief View Post
    ok starting from mickey

i usually base my choice mainly on my own research. ummm i loved the way the hi point felt in my hand...i have big hands so its hard to find anything that feels right in my hand from pens to knives to guns. i did check out bersa thunder too. it felt nice. they both were light but still had a bit of weight. anywho thanks ...i will check that link and i still got time to shop around so i'll check out a keltec.

wellcarft & biggs

well i have been thinking while i was out today and browsing the the web on my internet tablet(yea im a bit of a geek also) and i decided to just scratch the .380 off the list and get a 9mm. also i really just want something for carry and i figure if i do ever have to use it, god forbid, it most certainly wont be a lot of space between me and the "jerk" so yea lol. oh and would like to maybe get a security job till i can go to school for what i really love...computers of course.

pyro

yea im going with the c9 lol

Thanks Guys
    Sounds better!!!

FYI:
    If you want to get into "armed" security you need to apply, pass, and keep the PA Act 235 cert.

(Bucks County)

good decision to nix the 380 since ammo is hard to find right now and not a good caliber to be your primary weapon. bad decision on deciding to go with a hipoint when you can get a used glock, ruger, taurus for around 350 or maybe a little less. i live just outside NE Philly and there are about 8 guns shops within an hour drive of my home and none of them sell or will take in trade a hipoint. there's a reason for that.....save your money and get a worthwhile reliable pistol. there's a shop called surplus city guns located on bustleton pike, feasterville, pa that has a good selection of used guns. it's only a 45 minute drive from your location and i'd suggest you check them out. good luck with whatever you decide
    Last edited by wellcraft; July 5th, 2009 at 07:25 AM.

(Cambria County)

Wow ppl on here really seem like u don't like hi point but listen bud hi point might be a cheaper gun and might get bad mouthed but I have had a couple different hi points and I love them they are cheap they are DEPENDABLE and I would trust my life with mine and honestly ppl if u can't trust the gun you are carrying then I think its not the point of the weapon it you the person with the gunso if u say you don't trust the weapon you are saying you don't trust yourself tsk tsk if that's the case put the weapons dwn and go take some classes there is to many ppl that buy cause of name not cause of the product I have my hi point 9mm and have shot against friends with glock 9mm and xd 9mm and various other brands and guess what they all cost more than my hi point and suprise suprise I out shot all them except one(he is a marksman instructor for the military) but I had closer groups and better distance than them and no jamming suprise suprise. O wait I was taught something in the military how did it go umm....... O yeah clean your damn weapons and as long as you maintain your arms they will work 99% of the time jamming is caused by ppl not cleaning there weapons good enough but ne how if u want to get a hi point shop around my 380 I got cost me $155 brand new you just got to shop around and o yeah the hi point got one heck of a waranty program

Good choice on the 9c, atleast you won't be racking your brians out finding ammo.
    I'll say it again, if a HI-point is all you can afford than get it. I wouldn't want to put 1000's of rounds through it but thats just my opinion. I just don't care for the molded barrel and coated ramps. But it will do the job. My brother liked shooting mine and was a pretty good shot with it. I hear about more "Kabooms" from other manufacturers than I hear about Hi-points.

Good luck with it and give us a range report when you fire it.

P.S When you take it apart to clean it put your hand over the back of the slide because the firing pin spring has a tendency to fly across the room and land in the oddest places. Trust me...The oddest places.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    Good choice on the 9c, atleast you won't be racking your brians out finding ammo.
    I'll say it again, if a HI-point is all you can afford than get it. I wouldn't want to put 1000's of rounds through it but thats just my opinion. I just don't care for the molded barrel and coated ramps. But it will do the job. My brother liked shooting mine and was a pretty good shot with it. I hear about more "Kabooms" from other manufacturers than I hear about Hi-points.

Good luck with it and give us a range report when you fire it.

P.S When you take it apart to clean it put your hand over the back of the slide because the firing pin spring has a tendency to fly across the room and land in the oddest places. Trust me...The oddest places.
    to be honest ask the dealer or the gun smith of the store to show you how to strip it...thats the best way to learn how to do it and what certain things do inside of the gun, don't be afraid to ask questions, make it a point to.....remember when you do have enough money for something nicer, you can always sell it for near the same price you paid and not take to big of a hit. If you live in a sketchy area more than likely the gun stores won't carry the highpoints because of gangs or least thats what i have been told.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast