Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default why are some gun owners biased against foreign guns?

From my own personal experience, I found that some gun owners do not like to buy foreign guns or favor guns that are manufactured in the United States. Personally, I don't understand why someone would have feeling for a corporation. All gun manufacturers are in the business to make money. I feel that if a person wants to buy a gun, they should buy the one that best suits their needs, not the one that is manufactured on American soil. That's how capitalism works in the real world. Those who produce the best guns will succeed, while those who don't will fail. What are your feelings about this topic?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: why are some gun owners biased against foreign guns?

couldn't agree more.

of course, i feel the same way about vehicles...but there are a lot of people who will only buy an "american car".

(the funny part is that i hear crap from ford f150 owners sometimes. um, my toyota was made in california by american workers, your f150 was made in mexico by mexican workers. )

and i've also heard a few people say they chose an XD over a glock because the springfield armory is an american company--never mind the fact that XDs are made in croatia.
    F*S=k

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    XD over a glock because the springfield armory is an american company--never mind the fact that XDs are made in croatia.
    And almost all of their 1911's are made in Brazil.

(Centre County)

of course, i feel the same way about vehicles...but there are a lot of people who will only buy an "american car".

(the funny part is that i hear crap from ford f150 owners sometimes. um, my toyota was made in california by american workers, your f150 was made in mexico by mexican workers. )

and i've also heard a few people say they chose an XD over a glock because the springfield armory is an american company--never mind the fact that XDs are made in croatia.
    hehe, yep. I am not sure about today, but I know a couple years ago I read a report detailing how most (EDIT: domestically sold) 'American' cars had more parts manufactured abroad than (EDIT: domestically sold) 'Asian' cars. That was a hoot.

As for the XD argument I couldn't agree more, the XD is a well made Croatian design, but is it actually made in Croatia? Or is it licensed and manufactured in the US? It was always my understanding it was imported but I don't know if I ever actually based that on fact or speculation...

As for other gun issues, I do know some people like to buy some American brands over foreign brands due to customer service issues. When I was deciding whether to buy my Taurus pt111 someone warned that it (as opposed to a compact m&p, for example) was made in Brazil. The issue was not so much 'oh no, its foreign, blarg!' but more that if something goes wrong, I will have a lot longer wait time for shipping it for repairs. At the same time, I know some people question the quality of foreign firearms.

(Dauphin County)

You will always have those who snub foreign made products, but truth be told, is there anything that is 100% made,built and or designed in America anymore?
    If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.
    A liberal non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced.

(Carbon County)

Not sure but i love my commie guns
    Shall not be Questioned

Quote Originally Posted by goofin View Post
    You will always have those who snub foreign made products, but truth be told, is there anything that is 100% made,built and or designed in America anymore?
    Rugers.
    -------
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Adams County)

I buy whatever works best for me, no matter what store or company it comes from. I try to buy american when/where I can, but I'm not paying a premium to do it.

As for guns, the only thing that makes me hesitant about buying foreign guns is availability of ammo. Right now, my ammo for my AK-74 is imported and if that dries up then I'm SOL unless I can get american made ammo for it. Other than that, it doesn't matter to me who makes it or where it comes from.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Northampton County)

This is a touchy topic for sure. For me it is simple, I am an American!
    I want USA made goods whenever possible. This started when I was 16 or 17 over two items.
    At the time I had 2 center fire rifles a Rem BDL 700 30-06 and a Ruger 77 .220 swift. One had a Tasco the other had a Leupold. Guess which one I could actually see through? The other incident was a pair of cheap pac boots from Korea. The felt liner fell apart the fist hour I wore them. This was back in 1985 or 1986 for the record.
    I know where the computer, cell phone and other electronics came from. Do any USA made on exist? If I could find them that is what I would have. My binoculars are Leica's, at the time there were no full size USA made to be had.
    My work boots are White's and hunting boots are Schnees and Hoffmans. Sadly both companies import their rubber bottoms now. American made clothing can still be found if you use you imported computer to search.
    I have always driven Ford pickups that came out of Norfolk or Kentucky ( I know where the parts come from). One exception was a 1978 F250 that came out of Windsor Canada. Was not aware that some F series came out of Mexico, but know a lot Dodge trucks do.
    I did own a Springfield M1A, but traded it for a USGI parts kit to build a LRB M14. Maybe I am missing out on some good guns with my narrow minded ways, or maybe not.
    I have toyed with the idea of Browning Hi-power, but can't bring myself to do it. I would love to own a Holland & Holland or a Purdey someday but that would be it.
    I have to say that for myself it is the mentality that I am an American and this is still the greatest country in the world.

(Lehigh County)

couldn't agree more.

Lol, you made a good point there.

Quote Originally Posted by jmiro View Post
    you could chalk it up to tradition or stereotype it to the "typical gun owner's beleif system". I also think it has alot to do with marketing. CZ's are great guns but not a house hold name. Ask the Joe general public to name some companies that make guns and I would put money on must response being Colt, smith and wesson, winchester, etc.
    Well, a lot of Americans know nothing about guns. Most americans won't even know the names that you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    And almost all of their 1911's are made in Brazil.
    True, people don't realize that large companies are multinational corporations that function in a number of countries.

Quote Originally Posted by goofin View Post
    Not really. If you use cars as an example, even "American cars" aren't 100% made in America.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast