Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Question AR smith near Pittsburgh?

My buddy has all the parts for an AR build and just needs it put together. Lower is complete and just needs the collapsible stock installed. Larue free-float handguard needs installed and barrel put on upper.

Anyone know a smith in the Pittsburgh area that can do this work at a reasonable price? I was going to give Jacks Black Rifle a call but I've read that he isn't doing work anymore. Is this true?

Thanks for any help.

Bill

Default Re: AR smith near Pittsburgh?

Quote Originally Posted by wslowik View Post
    My buddy has all the parts for an AR build and just needs it put together. Lower is complete and just needs the collapsible stock installed. Larue free-float handguard needs installed and barrel put on upper.

Anyone know a smith in the Pittsburgh area that can do this work at a reasonable price? I was going to give Jacks Black Rifle a call but I've read that he isn't doing work anymore. Is this true?

Thanks for any help.

Bill
    for what it would cost to pay a smith to do it you could get the tools/blocks you need and do it yourself, everything you noted is quite easy to do.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, I know, I have the knowledge to do it but not the tools. And honestly I'll probably never need them again, ARs really aren't my thing. Plus I like supporting local smiths.

Quote Originally Posted by wslowik View Post
    Yeah, I know, I have the knowledge to do it but not the tools. And honestly I'll probably never need them again, ARs really aren't my thing. Plus I like supporting local smiths.
    I know one who would do it for you, licensed and insured and all that. The thing is with LaRue HG's you either have to have the block the upper pins to or a block that's modified for the larue keeper...I installed them before with some wood, ingenuity, and a vise. The stock is a simple change.

Give Jim Hixson @ Small Guys Gunsmith in plum boro a call if you're close, his prices are top notch and he's a hell of an honest guy to boot.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I know one who would do it for you, licensed and insured and all that. The thing is with LaRue HG's you either have to have the block the upper pins to or a block that's modified for the larue keeper...I installed them before with some wood, ingenuity, and a vise. The stock is a simple change.

Give Jim Hixson @ Small Guys Gunsmith in plum boro a call if you're close, his prices are top notch and he's a hell of an honest guy to boot.
    Do you have some contact info for Mr. Hixson (phone #, where he's located in Plum)? I'm in the Monroeville area, and have been trying to find a good AR gunsmith that's local. Thanks in advance.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Toby196 View Post
    Do you have some contact info for Mr. Hixson (phone #, where he's located in Plum)? I'm in the Monroeville area, and have been trying to find a good AR gunsmith that's local. Thanks in advance.
    Well, I wasn't able to locate Mr. Hixson. I tried to take my AR to Stewart's Custom Gunsmithing on Tuesday, but he was closed. So I finally ended up settling for Braverman's. I've bought several pistols from them in the past, and really like their store, but knew absolutely nothing about their gunsmith. With such a small job needing done though (removing my FSB and FF Tube), I figured I'd take a chance. They did a good job, and charged a reasonable amount. I'm just glad to have it taken care of, so I could finish my AR project.