Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Open carry tonight

The wife and i went to the mall,OC Ofcourse, for new phones seeing as how our contract was ready for a renewal and so were our phones. After we were finished , i was walking thorugh the mall to get the car cause my father in law was with us. As i got ready to go up the escalator, i group of people at the pretzel shop were staring at me with googling eyes. Just as i noticed them , right in front of them walked a guy , not far into his 20's with clothes that could fit me in there with him. He had many tatoo's, piercings all over , and chains from probably anywhere he could get them. That made me think. Here is me going up an escalator, Kakhi pants , nice red shirt but oc, and i get more attention than a guy who looks like he just walked out of the 7th gate of hell.(Not meant to offend anyone here). Oh well, continued on my way out to dinner with the family.. Non issue OC Event tonight~!

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Open carry tonight

Just think what reaction he would get OC! Would they notice amidst all the metal?
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by JGeezer1986 View Post
    The wife and i went to the mall,OC Ofcourse, for new phones seeing as how our contract was ready for a renewal and so were our phones. After we were finished , i was walking thorugh the mall to get the car cause my father in law was with us. As i got ready to go up the escalator, i group of people at the pretzel shop were staring at me with googling eyes. Just as i noticed them , right in front of them walked a guy , not far into his 20's with clothes that could fit me in there with him. He had many tatoo's, piercings all over , and chains from probably anywhere he could get them. That made me think. Here is me going up an escalator, Kakhi pants , nice red shirt but oc, and i get more attention than a guy who looks like he just walked out of the 7th gate of hell.(Not meant to offend anyone here). Oh well, continued on my way out to dinner with the family.. Non issue OC Event tonight~!
    This is a relevant observation, though it is indeed in the eye of the beholder.

As someone that open carries almost daily, I find that I receive no special attention.

I treat others no differently than I would if I was not carrying openly, and I dress around my pistol. By this, I mean that I always dress business-casual or similar when I open carry. I do not dress 'in uniform' or similar, yet I do make sure that my clothes show some sort of fake "purpose" when I OC. By that, I mean a button-down shirt and clean pants, or even a polo and khakis.

I am not one to say that it is unwise to open carry dressed however you feel appropriate; however, I always dress to ensure I receive no negative attention.

It would be a beautiful world if I could wake up, throw a tattered t-shirt and some jean shorts on and not worry about the police being called when I went to the mall open carrying. However, that is not how the world works and thus, I consistently ensure my appearance fits my carrying a firearm.

Personally, I feel that I set a better example for those that do carry openly, and at the same time ensure that I will not be accosted by security or police.

It is also important to not act any differently than if you were not carrying a pistol. Don't be arrogant, self assuming and furitive in your actions. Be kind, unassuming and normal. Act like your firearm is just as casual as any other part of your body.

If you carry and present yourself in a manner responsible and appropriate, then you are less likely to have "OC encounters".
    Open Carry: it's whats for dinner.

(Lackawanna County)

Steve, I would personally be very uncomfortable dressed like that. Im glad you dont judge for people who dress differently.
    Ive met quite a number of people on here at OC meet n greets, so you would have to ask them what they thought of me, but I think Im a very nice guy. I just dont look like a boy scout. My style is covered in tattoos, backward turned hat, chain wallet etc. I dont dress "baggy" though.
    I have given thought to my appearance while OC. I know most say they never even get noticed while going about the days business. But people who look different catch the eye. Like the guy covered in metal mentioned in the OP. Though he had already caught the attention before hand.
    I almost always get noticed, but then I put that down to my different looks.
    I feel very uncomfortable while dressed up, and usually feel out of place even if I simply put on a button up shirt, and I absolutely do not tuck in a shirt.
    I understand I put out a odd image, but thats just my style. I was raised right, I say please and thank you. I hold the door for anyone, it doesnt have to be a lady. I also dont judge, and dont appreciate it when people instantly tag me as a trouble maker or asshole.
    Im not coming out of the 7th gate of hell.
    Maybe the third though . I have a pic or two in the pics of yourself thread.

(Lackawanna County)

Poor Alex could dress to the nines and still get hassled. For some reason, nobody ever bothers me (well, except for that recurring *hole at Old Country Buffet in DC).
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Lehigh County)

I don't dress around my pistol. I simply get dressed and when I am ready to go out, I clip on my holster and pistol. If I happen to be wearing jean shorts and a ragged t-shirt so be it.

I generally don't get much attention. I assume that most people think I am an LEO. I guess I kinda fit the profile. Hell I have been asked if I were a cop even when I wasn't carrying at all.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Schuylkill County)

Its all about exposure. The more people are exposed to something, the less they think about it. Tattoos and piercing were not a part of main stream society 15 years ago. Now you can find a tattoo parlor every couple of blocks in the city and stop by walmart for the latest copy of INKED magazine. Society has accepted this lifestyle and while not everyone embraces a gentleman with 2 full sleeves of work and a face full of metal, its not as much of a shock to them as it was a decade ago. All us us who open carry should consider yourselves pioneers attempting to break down the barrier into social acceptability. If things keep up the way they have been, we continute to gain followers and support of the comminuty, and fight for our rights whenever they are scathed, there is no doubt in my mind that open carrying will become commonly accepted.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by YllwFvr View Post
    Steve, I would personally be very uncomfortable dressed like that. Im glad you dont judge for people who dress differently.
    Ive met quite a number of people on here at OC meet n greets, so you would have to ask them what they thought of me, but I think Im a very nice guy. I just dont look like a boy scout. My style is covered in tattoos, backward turned hat, chain wallet etc. I dont dress "baggy" though.
    I have given thought to my appearance while OC. I know most say they never even get noticed while going about the days business. But people who look different catch the eye. Like the guy covered in metal mentioned in the OP. Though he had already caught the attention before hand.
    I almost always get noticed, but then I put that down to my different looks.
    I feel very uncomfortable while dressed up, and usually feel out of place even if I simply put on a button up shirt, and I absolutely do not tuck in a shirt.
    I understand I put out a odd image, but thats just my style. I was raised right, I say please and thank you. I hold the door for anyone, it doesnt have to be a lady. I also dont judge, and dont appreciate it when people instantly tag me as a trouble maker or asshole.
    Im not coming out of the 7th gate of hell.
    Maybe the third though . I have a pic or two in the pics of yourself thread.
    Well let's see...you've been nicknamed "21jumpstreet" ROFL! There is nothing wrong or inappropriate about the way you look (ink) or dress. You "carry" yourself well and that goes a long way.

(Delaware County)

I'm a tattoo guy myself...my right leg is covered in tattoos.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by shefearsnothing View Post
    Well let's see...you've been nicknamed "21jumpstreet" ROFL! There is nothing wrong or inappropriate about the way you look (ink) or dress. You "carry" yourself well and that goes a long way.
    Oh god I was hoping that would go away.
    What have you started?!
    Yeah I would hope nothing is wrong with my ink. Do you show yours while shopping for coco puffs? *coughpuppetcough*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast