Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Question Which Non residential licenses should a PA resident apply for?

I was wondering if there were states that had a free renewal system for licenses. I am thinking about getting the Florida Non residential but was wondering what the renewal fee is? If I want to travel to NY, NJ, DE, Maryland, Virginia, is it legal for me to lock my weapon in my drunk inloaded?

If I want to take a rifle/ shotgun to my cabin, can I legally lock it in the trunk unloaded?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Which Non residential licenses should a PA resident apply for?

The two most popular license/permit (s) are from Utah & Florida as they give you the most states with which they have reciprocity. Neither are free.

The Utah permit is good for 5 years and renews at ten dollars ($10)

The Florida permit is good for 7 years and renews at $107

Check local laws reguarding transport and carry. NY, NJ, MD are very strict about firearms.

Some help (but not the final word on things) can be found at: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

(Jefferson County)

If NY is a destination, you cannot take a handgun there unless you are part of a sanctioned shoot(you'll need proof too). To merely touch or possess a handgun in NY you must have a NY license.

You can transport thru NY to a state that your firearm and possession is legal under FOPA- unloaded, locked in trunk, ammo separate.

http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm
    Non-residents:

A non-resident citizen may possess a rifle or shotgun in New York, as long as it is unloaded while being transported. No person may carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. New York does not issue licenses to non-residents nor does it recognize licenses issued by other states. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel. If a person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible.) A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a locked carrying case and the ammunition is carried in a separate locked container. An alien may possess a rifle or shotgun for use while hunting provided he has a valid New York hunting license. "If such (handgun) license is issued to an alien, or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good character of the applicant." Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container.

(Adams County)

I think getting a Va. license is a good idea. With parts of Virginia being so close to Pa. you'd have a license issued by a state that there's a good chance you'll be in, and you won't have the experience of trying to explain reciprocity of licenses during a traffic stop at night. Plus you gain Ohio which doesn't honor Pa. licenses.

(Northampton County)

I'm visiting my buddy in OC, MD in a couple weeks.

Sucks I have to leave my baby at home .

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by uniballin View Post
    I'm visiting my buddy in OC, MD in a couple weeks.

Sucks I have to leave my baby at home .
    No, you can take it with you. You can even keep it loaded in your friend's home. You just can't carry it around with you, legally.

(Northampton County)

That is true... but... I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it in his house. He is living with a bunch of people who I do not personally know.

I have a slide lock and I guess I could hide it somewhere... but still, I think I'd rather just leave it back at home if I can't carry it with me.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaState View Post
    I was wondering if there were states that had a free renewal system for licenses. I am thinking about getting the Florida Non residential but was wondering what the renewal fee is? If I want to travel to NY, NJ, DE, Maryland, Virginia, is it legal for me to lock my weapon in my drunk inloaded?

If I want to take a rifle/ shotgun to my cabin, can I legally lock it in the trunk unloaded?
    I don't know of any state that renews licenses for free. Soberbiker gave the two most frequently obtained licenses and their renewal costs.

But neither are accepted in many of the states you mentioned. DE and VA, yes. MD, NJ and I believe NY, NO!

Many won't even allow you to leave an unloaded gun locked up in the trunk.

Also, DE, VA and PA are open carry states. But the laws are different in each when you're in a vehicle.

And each state has laws about bringing weapons into their state, even if locked in a trunk. Some yes, many no. Transporting them through the states are covered under Federal laws and are protected.

Lots of questions in such a short post and you'll probably hate to hear answers to all of them as they don't favor just carrying guns around in cars.
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

(Montgomery County)

I am signed up to get my Arizona out-of-state permit this summer (you need to take a one-day class, in Arizona). Their information is here:
    http://ccw.azdps.gov/reciprocity/default.asp

The state of AZ claims that their permit is recognized in Delaware and Ohio, two adjoining states which I understand do NOT recognize our PA LTCF.
    http://ccw.azdps.gov/reciprocity/doc...ts_Current.pdf

(York County)

Utah, number one to have next to your Pa LTCF. I also belive that some members have one from NH. Not sure on that one, but check it out.

Dave W.
    3%

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast