Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: jewelry theft

(Susquehanna County)

Default jewelry theft

Alright, to make a long story short, some of my Mom's jewelery was stolen. It was while I was home. The theif targeted necklaces with small jewels and pearls. The only person who had access was a plumber (who happened to go to High School with me).

So, I need ideas. I told my mom to talk to state and local police from our town and surrounding towns. I also told her to inform the insurance company, and to keep things quiet (so we could set up a 'sting' in the future). What are some other actions that she should take?

Should we keep this quiet so we could set up a camera in the future or should we broadcast this to try to dig up other victims?

I am still in Japan so I have to suffer through the rage I'm feeling right now. I despise people who steal from others.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: jewelry theft

Bad news is with all these Gold Parties going on most of the stuff that is stolen is sold and melted down with in a few days. One of my employees got hit late last year and the City of Pittsburgh Police Detective said these parties are making it very hard to catch the thieves. The bigger shows have surveillance video but the local mom pop in the home parties are impossible to police for stolen merchandise as they say.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by ALS View Post
    Bad news is with all these Gold Parties going on most of the stuff that is stolen is sold and melted down with in a few days. One of my employees got hit late last year and the City of Pittsburgh Police Detective said these parties are making it very hard to catch the thieves. The bigger shows have surveillance video but the local mom pop in the home parties are impossible to police for stolen merchandise as they say.
    Thanks for the information. Have to go neighbors are at church

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    Alright, to make a long story short, some of my Mom's jewelery was stolen. It was while I was home. The theif targeted necklaces with small jewels and pearls. The only person who had access was a plumber (who happened to go to High School with me).

So, I need ideas. I told my mom to talk to state and local police from our town and surrounding towns. I also told her to inform the insurance company, and to keep things quiet (so we could set up a 'sting' in the future). What are some other actions that she should take?

Should we keep this quiet so we could set up a camera in the future or should we broadcast this to try to dig up other victims?

I am still in Japan so I have to suffer through the rage I'm feeling right now. I despise people who steal from others.
    Not to put you down or anything, but you are kind of "broadcasting" it here and going public with this

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Not to put you down or anything, but you are kind of "broadcasting" it here and going public with this
    Yeah, need advice. It's safe enough here. Chances are the pieces are gone forever anyway.

I dont think it was gold that the perp was looking for. Small necklaces with a diamond and one with a sapphire. The third one was a string of pearls.

Anyway, what would you do?

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    Yeah, need advice. It's safe enough here. Chances are the pieces are gone forever anyway.

I dont think it was gold that the perp was looking for. Small necklaces with a diamond and one with a sapphire. The third one was a string of pearls.

Anyway, what would you do?
    Notify the police get a report and turn it in to your homeowners insurance