Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default One of my guns blew up today...

I want to start this off by saying that nobody was hurt in this accident.

So I took a buddy of mine shooting today. We stopped at the gun shop close to the range that I'm a member of, and picked up a couple of bricks of Centurion .22LR.

We started out the day shooting the rifles (K98k and Marlin 25N), then after the K98 had successfully beaten my shoulder into submission, we decided to go have some fun with the pistols.

We each took turns shooting both of the pistols I had brought, my XD45 and my newly acquired J22. After quite a few mags, on the last round of the first box of 50 in the brick, I'm not loading the mag for my XD, not paying attention to my friend who was having a blast rocking the J22.

I look up, and see him holding just the frame of my gun, the slide is completely gone, with the face like "WTF?". So my natural reaction was "What the hell did you do to my gun?". He was like "Holy shit dude, it just blew up. I swear, it blew up in my face!" I'm thinking what the hell? guns don't just blow up, right? So we take the gun over to Steve--who is one of the trustee's at the range-- and wizzegun show it to them. Apparently Steve had bought a brick of the same ammo that he was shooting from his AR and he had two blow out the bottom of the gun. He goes on to say that the guy who owns the shop that sold it to me had one blow up in his pistol, too, but he had assumed it was a defect in the gun. Bad mojo...

I called them to report it, but sadly he was gone for the day. I'll run all the parts up to him on Tuesday and see if he can help me get my gun up and plinking again.

Thankfully there doesn't appear to be any serious damage to the gun. With the help of Steve's sons, I was able to recover almost everything, there's just one part that we weren't able to find. The mag is stuck in the gun and the blown out round is still jammed in the action, it can probably be forced out, but I'm going to just leave it alone and have the guy who sold the gun to me check it out.

Anyway, the bottom line is, 1: Only shoot Centurion ammo from a bolt action, 2: Wow.
    Last edited by FormerUser123; June 27th, 2009 at 06:31 PM.

(Blair County)

Default Re: One of my guns blew up today...

bummer, at least no one was hurt... good luck getting her back to good!

(Delaware County)

Call the ammo manufacturer. Usually they'll pay for any damage (from what I've heard).

(Philadelphia County)

I just got 2 bricks of the same ammo myself, argh. I hate to hear stories like this, but glad he wasn't hurt. Let us know if you call the manufacturer and how that goes.
    Last edited by Isherwood; June 27th, 2009 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isherwood View Post
    I just got 2 bricks of the same ammo myself, argh. I hate to hear stories like this, but glad he wasn't hurt. Let us know if you call the manufacturer and how that goes.
    Be careful with it. I don't know if it was only the lot that was bought by this one dealer that is defective, or if it's the company in general, but I'd say to be on the safe side, only shoot it through a bolt acton or single shot. Something that will fully support the casing throughout the entire firing phase.

I cannot find any contact info for the manufacturer, I went to the website that is listed on the box, but that was just a website for the distributor. I sent the distributor an e-mail.

BTW, the item # for the ammo I bought is AC22SP

(Bucks County)

Made in Mexico by Aqiula.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

Just wanted to update this thread, I've been in touch with Agiula twice now, they seem to be very eager to help. One thing that's off putting is one of the first things both reps said to me was that they want my gun and will replace it. It seems odd that's the first thing they'd be concerned with, I'm assuming it's because they want to try to lay the blame on my gun rather than the ammo.

Thankfully, and very much to his credit, Bob Enck is taking point on this, buying back the Centurion ammo that he sold. So I went up yesterday, took the 950rds that I had left, and all the pieces of the gun we had been able to gather, and it seems like he's handling it very well.

I'd just like to add that Bob of Enck's Gun Barn is a really stand up guy, and I feel he's going far and beyond his obligations as a shop owner, taking care of his customers like this. A+ guy, anyone in Northern Lancaster, Southern Lebanon, or Western Berks should most definitely check out his shop, you can definitely buy with confidence from him.

(Allegheny County)

It's far cheaper to kiss your butt and replace your gun plus a few others across America than have a Government recall ordered on all the ammunition with in that lot number.

Yep it is CYA and good customer service at the manufactures level.

J22? As in a Jennings J22? Not disputing your theory on but aren't Jenning/Bryco/Jiminez firearms known for being POS that blow up/break?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
    Just wanted to update this thread, I've been in touch with Agiula twice now, they seem to be very eager to help. One thing that's off putting is one of the first things both reps said to me was that they want my gun and will replace it. It seems odd that's the first thing they'd be concerned with, I'm assuming it's because they want to try to lay the blame on my gun rather than the ammo.

Thankfully, and very much to his credit, Bob Enck is taking point on this, buying back the Centurion ammo that he sold. So I went up yesterday, took the 950rds that I had left, and all the pieces of the gun we had been able to gather, and it seems like he's handling it very well.

I'd just like to add that Bob of Enck's Gun Barn is a really stand up guy, and I feel he's going far and beyond his obligations as a shop owner, taking care of his customers like this. A+ guy, anyone in Northern Lancaster, Southern Lebanon, or Western Berks should most definitely check out his shop, you can definitely buy with confidence from him.
    I wouldn't worry about them wanting the gun, my understanding is that this is standard, and that there is very little problem with rotating blame in this situation. I've never had it happen to me, but I have read reports of many, many people who have had a similar situation, and usually the gun manufacturer and the ammo manufacturer seem to be falling over themselves to make things right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast