Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default From Christopher P. Carney Member of Congress

Dear Friend,

Earlier this week, I used my position as Chairmen of the Management, Investigations and Oversight sub-committee of the Homeland Security committee to help ensure that our domestic safety remains a top priority. I voted for critical investments in programs that will keep all Americans safe and secure. The Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act specifically emphasizes programs that secure our borders, ports and airports, and help train local first responders and emergency personnel. To maintain fiscal responsibility, the bill also eliminates 17 programs and cuts funding for another 40 programs while making certain that the most effective programs and security initiatives are fully supported.

As someone who still wears the uniform and a father of five children, you can be sure that the security of this nation is priority number one for me. This legislation is tightly focused on securing our borders, training our local first responders and protecting the American people. These are not political issues; they are core values that we all share.

The bill provides our first responders with the equipment and training they need to remain on the cutting edge of security technology and procedure. It includes $3.55 billion in grants for local municipalities to protect critical infrastructure in high-threat areas, help local fire departments and upgrade central command facilities.

Our local firefighters, police officers and emergency medical personnel are our first line of defense in an emergency. They must have the best training and equipment to manage crises and effectively keep us secure. The investments in this bill give our first responders the tools and resources they need and reaffirm our commitment to their incredible important and self-sacrificing work.

The bill also significantly boosts our efforts to increase security along our borders. There are additional investments to combat the violence, drug smuggling and weapons smuggling currently occurring on the border. In addition, the bill invests in improving aviation security, port security and transit security. Among the many important programs, these funds will be used to purchase and install the latest explosive detection systems at airports nationwide and develop and deploy systems to screen cargo containers for weapons and nuclear materials.

This legislation protects Americans and prepares our nation for 21st century security challenges. It allows us to better prevent threats and attacks, and prepare and plan for emergencies. It also provides unprecedented transparency, accountability and fiscal discipline by streamlining and cutting programs while remaining focused on the all important goal of protecting our homeland.

As we approach the 4th of July, please know that I am working hard everyday to find new and better ways to keep this country safe for your family, my family and all American families for generations to come.

Sincerely,

Christopher P. Carney
    Member of Congress

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: From Christopher P. Carney Member of Congress

Am I wrong in thinking that first responders get there after an attack ???? How does that protect us. I'm Missing something so please help