Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default pros and cons of a ported handgun

I noticed that Glock, springfield, and a few other companies manufacture guns with built in ports/compensators. As some of you know, I'm doing research for my first 9mm handgun (hopefully, I'll be able to go to a handgun rental range in the next few days). I just wanted to ask how beneficial a compensator/built-in port would be in a 9mm handgun. Would I really notice any difference with the recoil? Or is 9mm basically so light that you really won't notice a difference? Some people have said that you shouldn't get a ported gun because it would blind you if you shot if. Is that really true? Have any of you actually fired a ported handgun at night? Also, how much louder (either percentage-wise or decibel-wise) are ported handguns than non-ported handguns?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: pros and cons of a ported handgun

getting a ported gun in 9mm is a waste of time and money in my opinion for the average shooter. one of the purposes of porting is to reduce muzzle flip which helps the shooter get back on target quicker. unless you plan on competition shooting just go with a regular non-ported barrel, in fact, even shooting competition i don't think having a comp or ported barrel would benefit you much. i had a SA 1911 w/ported barrel and could never get use to the flash coming out of the ports so i sold it. i would imagine shooting the gun at night would have some effect on night vision.

on the other hand having a comp or ported barrel on a large caliber handgun reduces felt recoil and makes the gun easier to shoot. i had a ruger super redhawk in 454 casull which was brutal to shoot because it didn't have a ported barrel or comp. i also had a taurus raging bull in 454 casull and since it had a ported barrel it was much more comfortable to shoot so guess which one was sold and which one i still have.?
    Last edited by wellcraft; June 24th, 2009 at 06:35 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

less muzzle jump, faster recovery, reduces felt recoil,
    On the other hand= more muzzle blast(noise), more muzzle flash, some albeit very little loss of FPS also the ports will cause night vision to go away if needed at night.
    I wouldnt buy a gun for carry with ports or a comp, but they are nice to have for the range and competion

oops Sorry double post
    Last edited by Ronnies111; June 28th, 2009 at 08:41 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Jefferson County)

For the general carry/protective semi-autos and some revolvers, porting offers minor reductions in recoil. For some of the magnums and lightweight guns, it does help a bit more.

Muzzle flash and blast are increased quite a bit. The magnums can cause blinding like symptoms at night. The noise is increase A LOT! My Magna-Ported 44mag Dragoon Silhouette feels like someone punched me in the ears if I fire it with cheap or no protection, and I dare not fire it under a covered firing line.
    Last edited by knight0334; June 24th, 2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    I noticed that Glock, springfield, and a few other companies manufacture guns with built in ports/compensators. As some of you know, I'm doing research for my first 9mm handgun (hopefully, I'll be able to go to a handgun rental range in the next few days). I just wanted to ask how beneficial a compensator/built-in port would be in a 9mm handgun. Would I really notice any difference with the recoil? Or is 9mm basically so light that you really won't notice a difference? Some people have said that you shouldn't get a ported gun because it would blind you if you shot if. Is that really true? Have any of you actually fired a ported handgun at night? Also, how much louder (either percentage-wise or decibel-wise) are ported handguns than non-ported handguns?
    I don't have one a 9 but I do have one 22C. Looks cool but at night it's hell on the eyes trying to stay focused after those 2 large V shaped streams of fire go off with less than 2ft. between them & your eyes. Actually this pic is mild.
    Last edited by Ronnies111; June 24th, 2009 at 09:38 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Allegheny County)

i don't know if this is actually an issue or not, but i would not want to fire a ported gun from retention and find out if it is an issue.

seems like you could get burned.

being able to shoot from retention is a must for a defensive gun.
    F*S=k

(York County)

I have a ported Glock 19C. Bought the gun used and I really like it. It was a good enough deal to make it hard to turn down.
    But I wouldn't buy a ported 9mm new. The recoil of a 9mm isn't stout enough to justify it, IMO.
    I've shot it at night (to see how much flash). I didn't think it was bad...but that's subjective. It is quite a bit louder though.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Berks County)

Nine mil's not gonna give you enough recoil for it to matter much. The bigger flash will take some of your night vision temporarily as well - and at night in your house, against all enemies is not a good time to lose sight of aforementioned enemies. I'd stick with non-ported, unless you're going into pistol competition or you have real problems with recoil sensitivity and absolutely have to have a nine.

(Allegheny County)

My XD-9 is not ported. I get blinded at night

My Taurus 85 is ported. I get blinded at night.

The recoil is MUCH less on the Taurus however I think it is a number of factors including short barrel (less velocity) and lack of a reciprocating slide. I'm sure the ports help. I don't subscribe to the "you'll get burned" nonsense because if you treat it like the gap on a revolver (i.e. don't stick your hand over it) you will be fine. How often is your hand over your front sight when firing, even from retention?

On the other hand if it will make firing the gun more enjoyable go for it. I think it would be helpful to have a non ported barrel you could swap in if you wanted (or if a competition required it). However if you can't find what you want with ports I would not hesitate to get a standard gun. Remember while this is your first purchase it does not mean you can't upgrade or accessorize later. And if a gun isn't working for you it's perfectly okay to sell it and get something else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast