Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Trying to decide whether or not to move back to PA!

its a wierd title, i know.
    i am an active duty US Marine, stationed in Arizona. I am originally from Cheltenham, Pennsylvania. i have 2 years left in my 5 year enlistment, and i am starting to think more and more about my future. i know that if i decide not to re-enlist, i wish to become a Police Officer. however, it has been nagging at me alot, and i just cannot decide where i want to go if i decide not to re-enlist. so, i have registered here to ask an important question, if you guys will be so kind to answer for me.
    on to my question: i have recently gotten very interested in tactical shooting; yes, i have always shot, starting when i was 14 living in PA. but being that i am a little older now, i have gotten very interested in tactical rifles, and tactical shooting. i currently own a Springfield Armory SOCOM16, and i am buying a ZM LR300 very soon when i am back in the United States. i am also signing up for some courses at GUNSITE in Arizona (formed by the late Jeff Cooper, USMC (Ret) who invented the "modern technique of the pistol" among others). my question here is, where are any of these tactical ranges in PA? if i remember correctly, there are laws in place in pennsylvania restricting the number of rounds allowed in one's magazine while target shooting, and many ranges restrict how fast you can fire. this, of course, would be a major detriment to my hobby, and would almost require me to give up tactical shooting. can anyone shed some light on this please?
    it sounds silly, i know. no, it isnt the ONLY thing that matters in my decision to come home, but it is a major concern of mine; if coming home would mean that i have to give up my most favorite hobby, i might have to consider another location, unfortunately.
    any help at all, regarding the use of firearms, pennsylvania, or whatever would be greatly appreciated. i know, i have 2 years to decide, and im sure that ill change my mind a hundred times over that course of time, but i figured that i would start to get all of my information now.
    thank you very much!
    -Joe

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Trying to decide whether or not to move back to PA!

Quote Originally Posted by masakarijoe View Post
    if i remember correctly, there are laws in place in pennsylvania restricting the number of rounds allowed in one's magazine while target shooting, and many ranges restrict how fast you can fire.
    Only if you shoot at the public ranges in the State Game Lands.

Private ranges of course have their own rules, but I'm sure you could find one that meets your needs - there are hundreds of them throughout the state.

And even then, you could always just pick up 10-20 acres and build your own range, assuming it's not in a township that regulates the discharge of firearms

(Schuylkill County)

Welcome to PAFOA

The range I belong to has a combat pistol shoot monthly (6 shots in 8 seconds) so they restrict how slow you can shoot.

Like lildobe said the restrictions are for public game land ranges.

(Berks County)

if i remember correctly, there are laws in place in pennsylvania restricting the number of rounds allowed in one's magazine while target shooting, and many ranges restrict how fast you can fire. this, of course, would be a major detriment to my hobby, and would almost require me to give up tactical shooting
    Those are state gameland regs, each gun club has its own "house rules".

BUT...many gun clubs have the type of matches you have interest in...from 3 gun, IDPA, IPSC etc... Usually the ranges have dedicated times for these matches so the guys can compete/practice. Depending on where you are in the state and how rural, there are lots of "outdoor" shooting areas around also.

As far as finding a job, start looking into it now, contact the State Police, or Local Law Enforcement, check on what you need for the police academy. There are lots of courses that the GI Bill will pay for. Many colleges offer classes you will need or want also.

Pennsylvania still is pretty much a "free" state despite Rendells best efforts.

We need good police here...especially one who is like us!! A gun guy!!
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Northampton County)

Either Arizona or Penna is a good choice.

If you get into machineguns (they will probably be unaffordable by the time you get out and get a job) there are more subgun matches 'round your neck of the woods. But we do have some in neighboring states. But Arizona is turning into a retirement home so no telling where things will head.

I think PA is more interesting and has more going on. Almost can't beat the gun laws and carry laws. There are gun clubs in almost all towns and gun ranges that allow just about everything including MGs. If shooting is an important part of your life, you will also meet people with land you can shoot on. You'll probably meet some here

As you get older you will probably want to be closer to familly.

(Mercer County)

If I could do it all over again I would have never left Montana

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Lackawanna County)

Well, you don't have to empty the local fauna out of your shoes before you put them on back here, but you do have to shovel snow in the winter...

I'd be looking at PSP...
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Montgomery County)

thanks for all of the info guys!
    it is great to hear that there is still some freedom left, especially in my home state. since i am from near Philadelphia, alot of rumors in regards to shooting sports have made their way to me, but its good to know that i still have options. Arizona is cool i guess, but i miss the suburbs, and just the life in general of PA, especially the weather... i love the cold, and being that in Arizona there is Hot and Hotter, its not exactly perfect for me
    plus, i hate sand.
    i will definately be looking into my options for when/if i come home. i really have NO idea where to start though. how do i even go about finding out information about becoming an officer?
    seriously, i am 100% clueless on what the process even entails. but im sure that as i start googling, and making contacts, it will all come together.
    thanks again guys
    -Joe