Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Driving to Indiana in a couple weeks

Should I just unload and lock it in the glove box the whole trip?

Anything I should note about Indiana's gun laws? I know they're pretty lax and they accept all other state licenses.

Thanks guys.

Default Re: Driving to Indiana in a couple weeks

Quote Originally Posted by uniballin View Post
    Should I just unload and lock it in the glove box the whole trip?

Anything I should note about Indiana's gun laws? I know they're pretty lax and they accept all other state licenses.

Thanks guys.
    Indiana accepts all other states' licenses. You MUST have a license, though. No OC without it. You will be fine wearing your gun in or out of the car if you have your PA LTCF.

Is there anything in particular you are worried about?
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

If this is going to be a more than a one time thing you could get a UT or FL gun permit and be good to carry thru Ohio as well

(Northampton County)

This is a one time thing.

I'm not particularly worried about anything. I just want to make sure there are no major differences in Indiana firearm laws when compared to PA ones.

And yes, I have my PA LTCF

This is a one time thing.

I'm not particularly worried about anything. I just want to make sure there are no major differences in Indiana firearm laws when compared to PA ones.

And yes, I have my PA LTCF
    Unless you plan on being near schools, no huge differences with your LTCF. Actually, no huge differences there either. Stay away from them, don't even lock your gun in the car on school property.

Here's a quick rundown:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Northampton County)

Thanks Joe.

If you are driving through Ohio, you need to remove all of the rounds from the magazine and keep the ammo and the weapon separate while you are in Ohio. A loaded magazine in Ohio equals a loaded gun and your PA permit is no good.

(Northampton County)

That is silly.

I'm just going to keep everything separate and locked up until I get to Indiana.

Thanks again guys.

(Luzerne County)

That is silly.

I'm just going to keep everything separate and locked up until I get to Indiana.

Thanks again guys.
    Ohio state law actually is specific about having to unload your magazines if you want to be in compliance with state law.
    Ohio Revised Code § 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.
    (C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:
    (1) In a closed package, box, or case;
    (2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
    (3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;
    (4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.
    (K) As used in this section:
    (1) “Motor vehicle,” “street,” and “highway” have the same meanings as in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code.
    (2) “Occupied structure” has the same meaning as in section 2909.01 of the Revised Code.
    (3) “Agriculture” has the same meaning as in section 519.01 of the Revised Code.
    (4) “Tenant” has the same meaning as in section 1531.01 of the Revised Code.
    (5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:
    (a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question.
    (b) With respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.
    (6) “Commercial motor vehicle” has the same meaning as in division (A) of section 4506.25 of the Revised Code.
    (7) “Motor carrier enforcement unit” means the motor carrier enforcement unit in the department of public safety, division of state highway patrol, that is created by section 5503.34 of the Revised Code.
    However, it can be argued that simply complying with the “Safe Passage” clause of the Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA), which only requires that any ammunition (whether in a magazine or not) be inaccessible inside a locked container, will preempt the Ohio state law.

So, it’s up to you. You can just lock away the loaded magazines and rely on the federal 18 USC § 926A preemption, or you can unload your magazines as well and be protected under both federal and Ohio state law. I’d personally go the extra mile and unload the magazines as well, as I don’t really find it too much of a pain to do so.