Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Which ACOG reticle?

well I finally chose to go with an ACOG scope for my AR-15 after much time considering the "big 3" (Trijicon, EOTech, Aimpoint). at first I was planning on an Aimpoint CompML3, 3x magnifier, and with the larue quick release and pivot mounts, but looking into those magnifiers is kind of a turn off since field of view is horrible. and I want something with good magnification and decent/good field of view. I want some of your opinions on which reticle for a 4X ACOG would be best, simply for range shooting between 50-100 yards mostly and maybe a SHTF gun.

There are 4 different ones I was looking at:

1. Chevron
    2. Chevron w/ target reference system
    3. Horseshoe dot
    4. Crosshairs

If any of you have experience with specific models you can include that too and where would be a good place to buy them! I found a TA31 RCO M4CP with a killflash and flip up lens covers for under $1,200 at theshootinshack.com, that seems pretty reasonable.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Which ACOG reticle?

I've shot both the TA01NSN and the TA31F. I like them both very much. The TA01 does not have the tridium or the fiber optic. It had the standard crosshair scale in it for ranging targets. We use them in some competition matches as well as teaching the DM classes with good results.

The 31F is what I'm carrying around here in Iraq currently. Its got the Red chevron with the ranging scale in it and also tridium for at night. The only issue is that its so bright in the sun that I have had to tape over the fiber optic to kill off the glare inside the sight.

The killflash is a nice idea but it really kills off the ability of the sight to pull in light at dusk or night. They are removable but thats just one more thing to loose or break.

You can use the acog like the eotech holo sights. I did some shooting with SF guys during the trainup for here and they were showing us how to shoot it with both eyes open for close targets. It did give me some trouble at first but after a few trys its actually easy. Your one eye will kinda ignore the magnification of the sight until you really focus on the target.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Which ACOG reticle?

I am with above poster ^^ the Chevron is great if Adjusted correctly they are Deadly and the BDC is great i use only Chevron and had a Crosshair LA SWAT style but to much red in one area for me when sun is above or out from the clouds it is BRIGHT. The TA31TRD and TA11F-A i love
    Does this look like my Care Face.....