Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Long Eye Relief Scopes?

I'm looking for a long eye relief scope, but can't seem to find too much around. Does anyone know where I should start looking? Most of the ones I'm finding are 2x7x30, which is what I have on the gun right now, but I'm looking for something more in the 6x24x50 range. Most scopes in that power have had 85-90mm relief, which won't due for the way I like to shoot my rifle.

Default Re: Long Eye Relief Scopes?

Quote Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
    I'm looking for a long eye relief scope, but can't seem to find too much around. Does anyone know where I should start looking? Most of the ones I'm finding are 2x7x30, which is what I have on the gun right now, but I'm looking for something more in the 6x24x50 range. Most scopes in that power have had 85-90mm relief, which won't due for the way I like to shoot my rifle.
    Hello there BTA, I'm curious why you need so much eye relief, and what way you like to shoot your rifle. Either way, so my knowledge there is no such thing that exists that is a 6x24 by roughly 50mm objective "long eye relief" scope. Long eye relief scopes work the way they do because they can have larger exit pupils. When you get into the high magnification, the exit pupils get smaller and smaller. This cuts down on your eye relief, and to a small extent can be made larger with a larger objective, but only by very small amounts. Either way, to my knowledge, there is no such thing as a "longer" eye relief scope in the range that you're talking about. I haven't checked to see what the eye relief is in mm, and don't feel like converting it at the moment. Either way, I'll take your word that that's the average, and I'm gonna tell you that you might have an unrealistic expectation in what you are looking for. I will say this as well, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read the headings of the subsections. This is getting ridiculous but this is like the 6th thread in a week and a day or 2, that has been posted in the rifles sections that has been about optics. READ THE TITLES, it's just courtesy to the rest of the forum and to the mods.

Default Re: Long Eye Relief Scopes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Hello there BTA, I'm curious why you need so much eye relief, and what way you like to shoot your rifle.
    I don't feel comfortable sticking my face over the bolt. I neglected to mention, the rifle in question is a K98k with a "no gunsmith" scope mount, which places the eye rectile somewhere hear the rear of the bolt.

Either way, so my knowledge there is no such thing that exists that is a 6x24 by roughly 50mm objective "long eye relief" scope. Long eye relief scopes work the way they do because they can have larger exit pupils. When you get into the high magnification, the exit pupils get smaller and smaller. This cuts down on your eye relief, and to a small extent can be made larger with a larger objective, but only by very small amounts. Either way, to my knowledge, there is no such thing as a "longer" eye relief scope in the range that you're talking about.
    Thanks kindly, I was curious as to why there seemed to be a magic cut off point around 10x magnification.

I haven't checked to see what the eye relief is in mm, and don't feel like converting it at the moment. Either way, I'll take your word that that's the average, and I'm gonna tell you that you might have an unrealistic expectation in what you are looking for.
    85-90mm is around 3.5 - 4", the way I hold the rifle, I need about 12-14" of eye relief. It's very probable that I came in to this with an unreal expectation of what I am looking for, maybe I can adjust my shooting style to compensate for less eye relief.

I will say this as well, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read the headings of the subsections.
    My mistake, I thought I was in the optics section. That would also explain why I had so few results when I ran a search, too.

Thanks again for all your help.