Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thumbs down BAD NEWS for Non-Res CCW Holders

It now appears as though PA is going the route of CO, NH, FL and others regarding the honoring of Non-Res CCWs:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/notices.htm
    I am very dissappointed by this as I believed PA to be a gun friendly state(commonwealth). If this is fact, NH, VA, FL, UT and all other mail order CCWs will no longer be honored by PA. That will end all of my plans to spend retirement time in the Keystone State. I am sure I speak for many other folks in the Northeast. The hard part to accept is that it is not the wish of the AG, but rather, the PSP. This is a sad day for me!

(Berks County)

Default Re: BAD NEWS for Non-Res CCW Holders

Just one question for you. If you are anticipating spending an extended amount of time in Pa. during your retirement, why don't you get a Pa. Non-Res permit?
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

I could be mistaken, but I do not think this is anything new. I believe it comes down to the verbiage. Perhaps it is just now being enforced as written. I don't believe Pa issues nonresident ltcf to states where you can't obtain a resident ccw.
    So if that is true it really isn't surprising that Pa won't recognize non res. permits from say NJ or in your case NY.

Pa is one of the more friendly gun states. We're not perfect, but we’re trying. We’re ages beyond your state. The Pa ag’s job is to see that the laws are enforced. If you want to complain to our state assembly be my guest. When you retire you could always stay in NY

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...da-permit.html
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    Just one question for you. If you are anticipating spending an extended amount of time in Pa. during your retirement, why don't you get a Pa. Non-Res permit?
    I don't believe Pa will issue a nonres. ltcf if he does not already hold a permit for ny
    FUCK BIDEN

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I don't believe Pa will issue a nonres. ltcf if he does not already hold a permit for ny
    Straight from the state web site.

Individuals who are 21 years of age or older and are NOT Pennsylvania residents may apply for a license by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to any Pennsylvania County Sheriff’s office along with the required fee. A Pennsylvania license cannot be issued to a resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by their home state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury.
    The question now becomes does NY have a law that allows for the issuance of a license? If so, and you have one, then you can get a Pa. LTCF. If not, you obviously can't get one, then you should be able to get a Pa. LTCF. We know NY state does indeed have a license, that should make if fairly simple.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

So if that is true it really isn't surprising that Pa won't recognize non res. permits from say NJ or in your case NY.
    Permit from NJoisey or NY? I heard that they don't even often issue to retired cops or judge. Unless your "connected", he he heh.......it appears that in these states, owning firearms is a "priviledge", have you heard?

Pa is one of the more friendly gun states. We're not perfect, but we’re trying. We’re ages beyond your state. The Pa ag’s job is to see that the laws are enforced. If you want to complain to our state assembly be my guest. When you retire you could always stay in NY

I agree, PA "seems" to be, for now the South of the North. We have the "NY of the South" (Atlanta) in the midst of rebel country, he he heh......But that is OK, we want some of that cosmopolitan "flair" down here. Just bring your money, lot of it..he he heh

1FingrCHan

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post

The question now becomes does NY have a law that allows for the issuance of a license? If so, and you have one, then you can get a Pa. LTCF. If not, you obviously can't get one, then you should be able to get a Pa. LTCF. We know NY state does indeed have a license, that should make if fairly simple.

I believe Staten Island is considered NYC which does not honor its own states carry permits. NY does issue ccw permits in the outlying areas , but since they are not a shall issue state it is spotty and dependent on location. I new someone that had a nyc permit but it was very limited in scope and he could only carry while making deposits for his business. They're nearly impossible to get.
    Unless he holds residency in one of the more gun friendly counties(if they exist)I would say his chances are almost nil. This is the extent of my NY carry knowledge.
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by 1FingrCHan View Post

I agree, PA "seems" to be, for now the South of the North. We have the "NY of the South" (Atlanta) in the midst of rebel country, he he heh......But that is OK, we want some of that cosmopolitan "flair" down here. Just bring your money, lot of it..he he heh

1FingrCHan

So does that make me a Yankee or not?
    FUCK BIDEN

(Luzerne County)

The problem is the wording of the agreements.

The agreements state that PA will honor valid permits from State "X", as long as the person is a State "X" valid permit holder.

If John Doe lives in NJ, but applies for and gets a Fla non-resident license, he is in fact a valid Fla permit holder with a vaild permit. Simple. If he's not a valid Fla permit holder, then what is he?????

But PSP is viewing the agreement as to mean (but not spelled out) that the person must live in that state which issued the permit. The agreement does NOT state this.

Also notice how the AG's reply was "appears"........Hmmmm, can't decide one way or the other???

Whats going to happen is that PSP will arrest someone for being a resident of State "X", but have a permit from State "Y". The person will then have to fight the arrest (in court ) requiring the courts to issue a ruling on this matter. Basically, making case law.

(Erie County)

We already kinda went over this awhile ago in the NJ with FL non res. The PSP are deciding to read the law how they wish. Kinda pain in the ass for an out of state resident, but I'm not exactly sure how they'd win a conviction. Even a jury I would hope isn't dumb enough to ignore a reciprocity agreement that doesn't specifically say no non-res.

Many states will specifically list no non-res permits, but PA doesn't do this.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast