Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default DC Sniper info on cable, WAY OFF!

While watching the story of the so-called "DC Sniper" and his murderous side-kick John Malvo, the narrator kept referring to his weapon as "an AK-47". Later, he referred to the 223 caliber, which "only comes from a Bushmaster"..huh? wtf?
    They find a shell casing, then say.."but it didn't come from a Bushmaster"...htf would anyone know that? I looked at my wife mid-way through and we came to the conclusion it hyped their story more if they say AK-47, rather than AR-15.
    On a side-note, watching the news a perp was caught at his house with a "Winchester 30-30". The cop says to the reporter how dangerous the situation could have gotten, as this weapon would have "gone right through" our bullet-proof vests. Really? a 30-30? Maybe it can, I dunno..but I'm doubting it as the 30-30 is not on the High-velocity list in my head.
    Is this just media hype and misinformation? What say you?
    Last edited by QuakertownRich; June 21st, 2009 at 08:55 AM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: DC Sniper info on cable, WAY OFF!

Of course it's media hype. That's what they do, induce fear. The government loves this because it's this fear that keeps their subjects exactly where they want them. Objective journalism in America is dead.

(Lebanon County)

Its always hyped up...They need ratings!...But on the other hand there are many uneducated people out there...
    My wife gets sucked into the news, when I am watching it with her I just pick it apart..

I can't stand watching the news, I really don't know why, but I guess since IT's ALL BAD!

I get all the news I need from "The View" anyway!

As a side note, my wife and I lived through that horror that was the "DC Sniper" Both of us drove between DCA/IAD and BWI. My son was an infant and whenever we had him in the SUV I put my Kevlar around him. It was so cute seeing his lil face poking through the neck hole!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuakertownRich View Post
    On a side-note, watching the news a perp was caught at his house with a "Winchester 30-30". The cop says to the reporter how dangerous the situation could have gotten, as this weapon would have "gone right through" our bullet-proof vests. Really? a 30-30? Maybe it can, I dunno..but I'm doubting it as the 30-30 is not on the High-velocity list in my head.
    Is this just media hype and misinformation? What say you?
    Of course a 30-30 is going right through a vest!

It might not go through level III or IV, but anything less than that...zip

Some 30-30 Ballistics Info from Guns and Ammo. The new Hornady FTX 30-30 round is NASTY!

Check the specs on armor (PDF).....
    Ballistic Resistance of Body Armor NIJ Standard-0101.06

Here is a web page for those that don't want to download a PDF.
    http://www.drdo.mi.th/doc_file/NIJ%2...d_0101_03.html

copies from the above web page:

2. CLASSIFICATION

Police body armors covered by this standard are classified into seven types, by level of ballistic protection performance.1 The classification of an armor panel that provides two or more levels of ballistic protection at different locations on the ballistic panel shall be that of the minimum ballistic protection provided at any location on the panel.

As of 1987, ballistic-resistant body armor suitable for routine full-time wear throughout an entire shift of duty is available in types I, II-A, and to a limited extent type II (depending largely upon the climate) which will provide protection from common handgun threats. Type III-A, which will provide protection from 9 mm submachine guns and 44 Magnum handguns using the test rounds, and types III and IV, which will protect against high-powered rifles, are normally considered to be special purpose armor most appropriate for use during tactical operations. See appendix A.

2.1 Type I (22 LR; 38 Special)

This armor protects against 22 Long Rifle High Velocity lead bullets, with nominal masses of 2.6 g (40 gr) impacting at a velocity of 320 m (1050 ft) per second or less, and 38 Special round nose lead bullets, with nominal masses of 10.2 g (158 gr) impacting at a velocity of 259 m (850 ft) per second or less. It also provides protection against most handgun rounds in calibers 25 and 32.

2.2 Type II-A (Lower Velocity 357 Magnum; 9 mm)

This armor protects against 357 Magnum jacketed soft point bullets, with nominal masses of 10.2 g (158 gr) impacting at a velocity of 381 m (1250 ft) per second or less, and 9 mm full metal jacketed bullets, with nominal masses of 8.0 g (124 gr) impacting at a velocity of 332 m (1090 ft) per second or less. It also provides protection against threats such as 45 Auto., 38 Special +P and some other factory loads in caliber 357 Magnum and 9 mm, as well as the threats mentioned in section 2.1.

2.3 Type II (Higher Velocity 357 Magnum; 9 mm)

This armor protects against 357 Magnum jacketed soft point bullets, with nominal masses of 10.2 g (158 gr) impacting at a velocity of 425 m (1395 ft) per second or less, and 9 mm full jacketed bullets, with nominal masses of 8.0 g (124 gr) impacting at a velocity of 358 m (1175 ft) per second or less. It also provides protection against most other factory loads in caliber 357 Magnum and 9 mm, as well as the threats mentioned in sections 2.1 and 2.2.

2.4 Type III-A (44 Magnum; Submachine Gun 9 mm)

This armor protects against 44 Magnum, lead semi-wadcutter bullets with gas checks, nominal masses of 15.55 g (240 gr) and impacting at a velocity of 426 m (1400 ft) per second or less, and 9 mm full metal jacketed bullets, with nominal masses of 8.0 g (124 gr) impacting at a velocity of 426 m (1400 ft) per second or less. It also provides protection against most handgun threats, as well as the threats mentioned in sections 2.1 through 2.3.

2.5 Type III ( High-Powered Rifle)

This armor protects against 7.62 mm full metal jacketed bullets (U.S. military designation M80), with nominal masses of 9.7 g (150 gr) impacting at a velocity of 838 m (2750 ft) per second or less. It also provides protection against threats such as 223 Remington (5.56 mm FMJ), 30 Carbine FMJ, and 12 gauge rifled slug, as well as the threats mentioned in sections 2.1 through 2.4.

2.6 Type IV (Armor-Piercing Rifle)

This armor protects against 30 caliber armor-piercing bullets (U.S. military designation APM2), with nominal masses of 10.8 g (166 gr) impacting at a velocity of 868 m (2850 ft) per second or less. It also provides at least single hit protection against the threats mentioned in sections 2.1 through 2.5.
    Last edited by falcn; June 21st, 2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Added armor tech spec document - added classes
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Centre County)

never trust the media or hollywood to provide an accurate portrayal of firearms. Especially when they use terms like "sniper". Those two assholes were not "snipers". Just a couple of retards taking pot shots at close range from the trunk of a car.

When that lunatic shot that security gaurd at the hollocaust museum CBS did a computer animation of how it happend.....complete with an M-16 "assault rifle". He really used a 22.

In the future it'd be better to change the channel and watch something else instead.

(Delaware County)

Three words - Fox News Channel

Not 100% reliable, but as close as you're ever gonna get. Gretta Van Susstren made some comment about "automatic rifles" going across the border to Mexico, but other than that they seem to get things right.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Bucks County)

Yeah, we already have FNC on the tube 3/4 of the time. I'm a Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly fan, but not half as much as my wife...she's mad. This was on TLC or The Discovery channel, not sure.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Three words - Fox News Channel

Not 100% reliable, but as close as you're ever gonna get. Gretta Van Susstren made some comment about "automatic rifles" going across the border to Mexico, but other than that they seem to get things right.
    If this was in the past week that is true. One of the guys on another forum I'm on called customs on some guys buying large amounts of ammo repeatedly in the same day (.mil/LEO forum so it's not some moron that thinks buying large amounts of ammo is suspicious) and called the authorities. They busted them in the parking lot and found I think 5 P90's FN57's some AK's and other firearms, some automatic some not. All with defaced serial numbers and wrapped in tinfoil and duct tape and a couple hundred thousand rounds of ammunition in the various calibers for the firearms. The one doing the buying was an American the other was a Mexican in the country illegally. They got busted and admitted to buying them to smuggle them across the border.
    I don;t remember all the details but that's basically how it went down.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Monroe County)

Get real, the so called DC sniper incident was a psyop being played out on the American people.

Do you really think the
    israeli Zionists who owns and runs fox really care about facts or truth?
    Come on!

Nyman

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Get real, the so called DC sniper incident was a psyop being played out on the American people.

Do you really think the
    israeli Zionists who owns and runs fox really care about facts or truth?
    Come on!

Nyman
    ... serious?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast